Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insured car last night for today, cannot tax today

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 09:48 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insured car last night for today, cannot tax today

AskMID don't have the insurance on yet. What are you supposed to do when you buy a new car privately now? You have to wait it seems. This appears to be a major problem if you intend to drive the car home after seeing it, buying it, insuring it if you then cannot tax it. I expected it to update in seconds.
Old 01 February 2015, 09:51 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
AskMID don't have the insurance on yet. What are you supposed to do when you buy a new car privately now? You have to wait it seems. This appears to be a major problem if you intend to drive the car home after seeing it, buying it, insuring it if you then cannot tax it. I expected it to update in seconds.
i think its down to your insurance company,when i bought my blob sti in november i insured it there and then with admiral then taxed it straight away
Old 01 February 2015, 09:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time it's not an issue as the car is still insured by the previous owner, but I guess in this instance that wasn't the case. It's a stupid and not very well thought out system, but then it's form the government so do we really expect anything else?
Old 01 February 2015, 10:20 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I think I'd drive without the tax, so long as I had insurance. If the plod pull you up I'd say I have insurance, prove it and say it's not possible to tax the car - not for the want of trying anyway. I've had a quick look and I don't see no tax as a reason they can take the vehicle off you, but happy to be corrected?
Just keep proof that you attempted to tax the vehicle, but due to failings in the system, it wasn't possible.

I'm in the market for a Westfield at the moment, I've found one, it's on SORN with no MOT at the moment. So if I buy that, how do I get it home? Think I'll ask the current owner to MOT it and I'll purchase it at the MOT station
Old 01 February 2015, 10:24 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Most of the time it's not an issue as the car is still insured by the previous owner, but I guess in this instance that wasn't the case. It's a stupid and not very well thought out system, but then it's form the government so do we really expect anything else?

You'd think the removal of the tax disc would suggest instant online processing ..

Oh no wait, it's so they can take a cut when we sell a car.
Old 01 February 2015, 10:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I wondered the same qwerty. It has MOT and insurance.
Old 01 February 2015, 10:58 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I think you can tax without confirming insurance.
Old 01 February 2015, 10:58 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Going online to tax it won't accept the doc ref no from the new keeper supplement, presumably because I sent a SORN form they would have received middle of last week, always intending to tax and insure from 1st after I'd had chance to make it roadworthy (even though it has a fresh MOT I didn't consider a loose battery, loose seatbelt mount and barely working brakes roadworthy. My insurer will be posting out a certificate rather than emailing me one. And who knows when I will get the Vehicle reg document. What a mess.

I want to get it into my own garage to work on rather than leave at a friend's farm where he might get a delivery of fertiliser and have to move it, so I can't leave it immobile on axle stands for long whilst I do things like overhaul the cooling system that might need parts in the middle of the job etc.

Last edited by john banks; 01 February 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01 February 2015, 11:01 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought a car last weekend, insured it online and the next day used the number from the green part of the v5 (new keeper document) and it was simple.
im guessing the insurance database hasnt been updated.
Old 01 February 2015, 11:03 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

MID isn't instant. The online system also won't allow to tax your car if its only a few weeks from expiring, even if the policy has been renewed.

My Jag is like this...Tax and insurance both due end of August. Pain in the **** as I've never been able to tax it online, so have to go to the post office and tax it the old fashioned way (bring documents etc).

This year, I've had a word with the ins. co. (Footman James - classic car policy so its more customisable ) and they've agreed to insure it for 11 months instead of 12. So fingers crossed this year will be the first time I'll be able to tax it online ...so long as I don't forget to renew the policy LOL.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 February 2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01 February 2015, 11:07 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Regardless of insurance it seems there is this other problem that the number on the previous keeper's V5C and V5C/2 don't work presumably because I already told them I SORN'd it. Presumably I need a new number from my V5C or can the post office do anything?
Old 01 February 2015, 11:10 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
MID isn't instant. The online system also won't allow to tax your car if its only a few weeks from expiring, even if the policy has been renewed.
Correct!
Old 01 February 2015, 03:22 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Regardless of insurance it seems there is this other problem that the number on the previous keeper's V5C and V5C/2 don't work presumably because I already told them I SORN'd it. Presumably I need a new number from my V5C or can the post office do anything?
I'm pretty sure that even before the new system came in, tax had to be bought over the counter from a post-office if a vehicle had been SORNed. I had this exact problem just a couple of years ago.

(Edit: this was when re-taxing a vehicle I already owned, which had been SORNed while being repaired)

Last edited by markjmd; 01 February 2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02 February 2015, 05:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

When I bought my Exige I had insurance ready to run from midnight the day I picked it up (a Saturday, and I'd organised it on the Monday or Tuesday of the same week).

When I got to the dealership I taxed it online there and then with no problems.
Old 02 February 2015, 05:29 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

You can tax it over the phone.........Apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Hopefully they can check your insurance using a reference number like the police do.

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 02 February 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02 February 2015, 07:38 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Recently bought my son his first car. We insured it before he drove it home but couldn't tax there and then only because of a low phone signal, so no internet. I managed to tax it as soon as we got home(30 mile journey) and had no issues....This was on a Sunday too.
Old 03 February 2015, 08:52 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It comes up on askmid this morning, but no insurance certificate through the post yet. Hopefully can get it on the road this week.
Old 03 February 2015, 09:21 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

John

We bought a new car the other week - the online tax wouldn't recognise the reference on the V5 (it was the wrong number of digits - the web portal was looking for a 12 digit number but the V5 had an 11 digit number).

Simply puting a zero on front of the reference number worked for us.

We only insured it that morning (was a Saturday).
Old 03 February 2015, 10:42 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Always just taxed on the internet with no problems?
Old 03 February 2015, 10:43 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like a right pain and flaw in the system
Old 03 February 2015, 01:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Managed to do over the phone in advance of receiving the V5 and insurance certificate as both are in the post but askMID shows insurance and MOT is valid. It seems my prompt SORN declaration invalidates the number on the new keeper supplement so you cannot use it to tax online and when you get your new V5 it has new numbers on it.