Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Varnish or lacquer for stone

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2015, 10:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Varnish or lacquer for stone

I'm in the process of building a stone fire place, the stones themselves are from a river bed so quite smooth with various colours which look great when wet but a little dull when dry, so I'd like to know what I can do to get the "wet look" effect, I was thinking maybe just some gloss wood varnish could do the trick but then thought maybe someone on here knows of a stone product that was maybe a little more specific.

Yes I know stone fire places are very 70's but it's an old stone farmhouse so in keeping with the look of the place.
Old 24 January 2015, 11:05 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just use patio drive sealer or uni bond
Old 24 January 2015, 11:20 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Will that make them look wet then?

Also which Uni bond product as google brings up loads of stuff, the only thing I can think of is PVA adhesive, if so what % mix should I use?

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 January 2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 24 January 2015, 11:44 AM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look out for natural stone sealers, Jewsons, b&q etc sell lots of different varietys.
We seal natural sandstone flags and prices really vary from cheap n cheerful to £150.
I'm not sure how the sealer would react to high temps being a fireplace?
Old 24 January 2015, 12:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Yes watch out make sure whatever you put on will not go bang or burst into flames.
Old 24 January 2015, 12:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife has used Wickes polyurethane varnish, NOT the quick drying stuff, and gloss varnis, not matt or silk, to make stones she has collected look shiny. They also show their colours better and resist knocks and dirt.
Old 24 January 2015, 01:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm in the process of building a stone fire place, the stones themselves are from a river bed so quite smooth with various colours which look great when wet but a little dull when dry, so I'd like to know what I can do to get the "wet look" effect, I was thinking maybe just some gloss wood varnish could do the trick but then thought maybe someone on here knows of a stone product that was maybe a little more specific.

Yes I know stone fire places are very 70's but it's an old stone farmhouse so in keeping with the look of the place.

That sounds great, Ditch.

I don't think just because something is outdated, it can't be a good feature in the house; more so, if it goes with the house.

This is not what you've asked, but some good stone fireplaces below:

Sister In Law had a fireplace like this one in her cottage:

Look at this. They have a TV there, but you can put a fireplace there. How good is that:

I think they look quite cool.

Regarding your question, stevebt raises a really good point. You need to ask the store if they have a heat resistant stone lacquer for the purpose. Otherwise, you might as well use the stones without varnishing them. That might go better with the rest of the house, because only the fireplace will stick out as wet, but rest of the house would look dry. Your visitors may think that you have a leak hence the wet look and possibly the damp due to it. Then again, you can puzzle them, and they could bang their head against your stone walls, thinking, how come your fire doesn't take that moisture away. With this POV, I think the wet look will be a winner.

Another thing I do to make stone look a bit more lively is oil it. But I do it for my art projects. Oiling your fireplace stones may not be the best, because it could catch fire.

Last edited by Turbohot; 24 January 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 24 January 2015, 02:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

I don't think just because something is outdated, it can't be a good feature in the house; more so, if it goes with the house.

Look at this. They have a TV there, but you can put a fireplace there. How good is that:

Regarding your question, stevebt raises a really good point. You need to ask the store if they have a heat resistant stone lacquer for the purpose. Otherwise, you might as well use the stones without varnishing them. That might go better with the rest of the house, because only the fireplace will stick out as wet, but rest of the house would look dry. Your visitors may think that you have a leak hence the wet look and possibly the damp due to it. Then again, you can puzzle them, and they could bang their head against your stone walls, thinking, how come your fire doesn't take that moisture away. With this POV, I think the wet look will be a winner.

Another thing I do to make stone look a bit more lively is oil it. But I do it for my art projects. Oiling your fireplace stones may not be the best, because it could catch fire.
Your bonkers I love the way your mind works

Liking the last one, mine currently has pillars similar to it but I'm not really feeling the love for it, I think I'm going to use more of the stones to cover it and blend them into the chimney stack which looks gorgeous, even if I do say so myself.

Part of the reason I asked was I wasn't too sure about the fire aspect, although I doubt there are many substances that would spontaneously combust through heat soak, might give off some noxious fumes though which I'd imagine is best avoided in case I nod off in front of the fire and never wake up again.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and keep them coming please.
Old 24 January 2015, 06:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I once built a fireplace out of old Victorian paviours.

Once built, I gave them a coat (or 2) of thinned, solvent based Matt polyurethane varnish.
Not only did it dust proof them, it also brought the magnificent colours to the fore.
Old 24 January 2015, 07:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Part of the reason I asked was I wasn't too sure about the fire aspect, although I doubt there are many substances that would spontaneously combust through heat soak, might give off some noxious fumes though which I'd imagine is best avoided in case I nod off in front of the fire and never wake up again.
Hm, I agree. There must be something, I'm sure. I'm just thinking that if they can enamel coat the inside of the microwaves, coat cooker hobs, grill machines and aluminium pans etc. with something reasonable, then there must be a lacquer that would be safe to use for your purpose. It's just if someone here knows of it.

What about engine paint? Some people paint their scooby engines and exhausts to make them stand out, don't they? Engine gets quite hot, so does exhaust a bit, so I'm just wondering if there's a wet look non-toxic lacquer to give a final coat to such engines, which might prove to be ideal?
Old 24 January 2015, 08:05 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Love the second one but the flower in the vase would annoy me as it blocks the TV ;-)
Old 24 January 2015, 08:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Love the second one but the flower in the vase would annoy me as it blocks the TV ;-)
I know.

I like the first one, as long as it isn't in some earthquake zone. It looks quite untrustworthy; as if some stone age semi-human has put it together without any bonding agent in between the pebbles. That's because they didn't have cement in those days. You'd think that he bashes it with another stone to make his fire or light his ***. It looks as it would fall on him like a tonne of rocks if the quake hits when the semi-human is watching his TV with his black and white cat. Cat will leg it, but he will be crushed.

Therefore, the last one is my fave. I like the cosmic pattern of it.
Old 25 January 2015, 11:07 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies, keep em coming.

I think I'm going to try all of the methods suggested on the stones I have left and get the blow torch out and see what happens.
Old 25 January 2015, 03:32 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Use Lithofin stain stop and colour intensifier on your exposed stone..

Great stuff,about £25 a litre.
Old 25 January 2015, 07:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies, keep em coming.

I think I'm going to try all of the methods suggested on the stones I have left and get the blow torch out and see what happens.
Good idea.
Old 25 January 2015, 08:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are a hobbit
Old 25 January 2015, 09:18 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be interested in seeing your results. I laid a drive last year and was looking for a similar product.

Name:  20140827_164440_zpsu6xsjv6b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  73.1 KB
Old 25 January 2015, 09:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
If you are a hobbit

Yeah, yeah, whatever! I think they look cool as.