Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Promoted to Manager

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2014, 01:40 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Promoted to Manager

I have been asked to "Step Up" to the role of manager in our group to allow the current manager to take a new role.

I have accepted the position, but have been warned that I may have some "Issues" with one or two peers who may "play up"

I have worked with these people for years on the same level and I know those that are likely to have an "Issue" as they have an "Issue" with a lot of things and seem to have that as a default position.

I have always been the kind of person to ASK for help with things, where needed, and have often found that to be forthcoming - even from the "Difficult" people in the team. I've been advised by senior manager that I need to reconsider my tone. Rather than ASKING, I now need to be TELLING.

I will need to offload a good chunk of the work that I currently do to free up time for my new responsibilities.

Several of those tasks will be given to one of the people that I know/suspect will have an "Issue"

I've had no formal training in how to manage conflict but have survived 14 years and several rounds of redundancies.

Has anyone here been promoted from a team, to become Team Manager?
Had any issues? How did you handle it?

Mark
Old 02 November 2014, 01:57 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my golden rule was always tell the person you are only asking them to do something because you don't have the time to do it yourself, worked for me for 5 years as shop manager
Old 02 November 2014, 02:21 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thanks MadScoob.

I get the impression from my senior management that they don't want me to approach it that way.

I've always been collaborative.

I need to double check but I get the sense that I am being asked to be a hard ****.
There are redundancies coming up from 2015 - 2017.
I honestly can't see any slack in our team. I work 730am - 600pm most days, as do most of the others.
Old 02 November 2014, 03:54 AM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

Firm but fair.
Start as you mean to go on.
They will soon get used to you in the new role.
Don't try and be their "mate".

That's not to say treat them like "sh*t".

No favouritism.
Treat with respect but make it clear when needed that you are in a position of responsibility and you will protect your own job first and foremost so they don't expect you to turn a blind eye to lack of performance etc.

Good luck .You will be fine.
No one is a born manager ,but when you step up you will soon get the hang of it.
Old 02 November 2014, 06:50 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I was asked to do the same several years ago. The best thing I ever did was sit down with each individual as a one on one and talk over their gripes. I'd ask "what would you do if you were me?" and who do you think is capable of doing the duties that you need to pass on.
It's important to remember you could end up back where you started so don't go in all guns blazing.
Old 02 November 2014, 07:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need for you to change your persona, you are who you are and will develop your own style of management, if the "difficult" ones don't pay ball then you just have to tell them like it is. I'm sure they are aware of the total lack of sympathy they will find if they try to go above you, so any issues will just be posturing which needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves, which also gives you the advantage of being able to flex your muscles while being totally justified because of their unreasonable behaviour, at which point they either back themselves into a corner and look ridiculous or back down.

I always found it good to just have a chat to them and as Kwik did put the onus on them, take on board any positives and the negatives will take care of themselves, they soon run out of ideas when they're the one that has to come up with them.

Empathy followed by a shrug of the shoulders and a tilt of the head, at the end of the day you're all employees and there's a job that needs doing, if you don't do it there are plenty of people that will.
Old 02 November 2014, 08:37 AM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are comfortable with asking somebody to do something rather than telling them, then that's the best thing for you to do. If you try to come across as a disciplinarian but aren't confident like that, then the staff members will realise and could lose respect for you in your new position and will be less inclined to do it. Your manager has TOLD you to tell people to do things, and you're already against doing it. i'm sure if he/she asked you to be firm, you'd be more willing to try it.

I always ask politely first, then ask firmly. If it's still not done, tell them to do it.

Treat them as you would like to be treated yourself.
Old 02 November 2014, 09:23 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Some confirmation here in replies so far. Thanks.
I am of the opinion that I should continue to be myself, that has served me well for 14 years so far. I like the Ask/Firm/Tell approach.
Old 02 November 2014, 10:42 AM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

When i was moved to a supervisory role everybody was great about it at first, but eventually the cracks started to appear. I found it hard to deal with people who where on the same level one day, then effectively under me the next. You need to stay firm & accept some freindships may no longer be. Look after number 1.
Old 02 November 2014, 10:48 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it sounds obvious, but treat people how you would like to be treated. I've got just over 30 people under me now, including 5 managers and assuming the feedback they give isn't rubbish they are quite happy.

I work harder now to make sure they have everything they need and any problems are dealt with as soon as I can sort them. I tell them everything I can and try not to keep things to myself.

Personally I think I'm doing well because I'm not here for the authority, I don't get my kicks from being in charge, it's the success leading a strong team brings that motivates me and being be personally responsible for a huge business function.

That said, the higher up you go the more you realise the limit control you actually have.
Old 02 November 2014, 11:13 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Just remember you have done the job too, it's not like you have come from outside to the manager position so you will have a good understanding on the issues they will face doing the jobs they do and should be able to use that knowledge in dealing with the day to day running of things.

Always be fair to them but make it clear if anyone steps out of line to the point you need to deal with it you will, at least they will know that if they do their jobs and have the normal banter etc that goes with it everything will be ok, if they don't pull their weight you will be talking to them about it.

Also be truthful to them, tell them it's the first time you have done this role and you all will only succeed if you you work together, you may not get everything right and you will make mistakes and encourage them to help you by telling you if something has gone wrong, that way you can all grow together

Always worked for me, I even went to the point of asking my team (who were only 7 at the time) for feedback the first time I did the role and as we worked together they had always thought I was fair an reasonable and knew if they were out of line they would be told....I applied the same principle when I took on a under performing team of 22 and turned them around so I know it works.
Old 02 November 2014, 01:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thanks Paul. That's great advice. I have made it a core part of the time I have been in the job to be totally open about successes and failures / sharing the successes and taking the blame for my failures. Hide nothing.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Mark
Old 02 November 2014, 02:31 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't change who you are to please others. It's uncomfortable, you won't like it and ultimately it will be your downfall. You've got where you are by being 'you', stay that person.
Old 02 November 2014, 03:19 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

I would strongly recommend you complete courses on dealing with disciplinary issues and also absence management. Hopefully you won't need to deal much with either but you should know the proper procedures just in case.

Good luck in your new post.
Old 02 November 2014, 06:10 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Thanks Paul. That's great advice. I have made it a core part of the time I have been in the job to be totally open about successes and failures / sharing the successes and taking the blame for my failures. Hide nothing.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Mark
YW and I am sure you will be fine, just stay true to yourself.

Originally Posted by Mouser
I would strongly recommend you complete courses on dealing with disciplinary issues and also absence management. Hopefully you won't need to deal much with either but you should know the proper procedures just in case.

Good luck in your new post.
That is also a good idea, the first time I dealt with something disciplinary wise I took my manager in with me so he could feedback to me afterwards and also it was an **** cover having never done it before ;-)
Old 02 November 2014, 09:49 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
I would strongly recommend you complete courses on dealing with disciplinary issues and also absence management. Hopefully you won't need to deal much with either but you should know the proper procedures just in case. Good luck in your new post.
It's all a bit of a minefield, especially if you have a union breathing down your neck for the slightest technical mistake. Definitely something worth training in.
Old 02 November 2014, 10:09 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

How good is your 'upstream' management chain - I have had to deal with some tricky situations over the last 10 years or so, the situations themselves weren't the difficult part, it was having managers upstream who were quite weak, and wouldn't initally support my actions. It took the second one up the line to be replaced, giving me his support to really change things. Beware of any alliances that 'skip' your level, nip those in the bud early, anything that needs to go up the line must do so through you and it will be your decision whether to escalate it or not.

The other important factor is that when you agree to do something for your staff whether in the positive or negative, always make sure you follow it through.
Old 03 November 2014, 12:15 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Hi TT. my upstream is very supportive so I'm good there. I will just be myself and treat people how I would like to be treated. Any nonsense and I will have a 1-2-1.
Old 03 November 2014, 12:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so do you have 2 gold stars on your badge now and get to operate the mcflurry machine?
Old 03 November 2014, 12:19 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Telling is poor management.
Old 03 November 2014, 12:24 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Totally agree Davyboy. I won't expect to ever have to do that.

No gold stars though. :-)
Old 03 November 2014, 12:35 PM
Karl_mac_
Scooby Regular

Pick the biggest one and punch them in the throat.
Old 03 November 2014, 12:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Karl_mac_
Pick the biggest one and punch them in the throat.
Old 03 November 2014, 06:56 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Sack the mouthiest , then tell the fit bird she may have to do a bit of overtime as the company is looking to cut the workforce down ....

Don't worry those tribunals are a piece of p1ss on sexual harassment cases
Old 03 November 2014, 09:54 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Any difficult people , get rid.
Old 03 November 2014, 10:50 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

It's there job, if they don't like it they know what to do!

I have been promoted twice within the same building and now run the site, most will be fine with you! Set out your objectives and make it clear what you want from people!

Well done
Old 03 November 2014, 11:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

remember to take them all on a "journey"