Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UKIP on the march?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2014, 07:47 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UKIP on the march?

Just listening to Farage being interviewed on BBC - he's funny.

Presenter points out that UKIP have only ONE seat in parliament, Farage says 'yes, but we had none yesterday so I think we're doing quite well...'

Presenter then pushes him about 'a vote for UKIP would put Millipede in power' in the election, Farage replies 'nonsense, you'll be saying next that voting UKIP will give you Ebola...'

Interesting times politically.

Would be really funny if Cameron was ousted before the election and Boris installed as leader.
Would make for great tv debates between him and Farage, but then I feel the country would be (even more) fcuked up if one of them were in charge...

Last edited by zip106; 10 October 2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10 October 2014, 08:35 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Is it really a vote for UKIP though? All Clacton have done is vote in their old MP, I'm not sure how much that means tbh.
Old 10 October 2014, 09:16 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rochester and strood will be interesting. A lot of people are fed up of the way things are, and the local area is being ruined by immigration. Just depends whether anyone can drag themselves out to vote and make a difference.
Old 10 October 2014, 09:31 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
Just depends whether anyone can drag themselves out to vote and make a difference.
This is the key point, I think the turn out for the by-election was only 36%. The turns out's of recent elections, bar the Scottish vote, have been pitiful.

Personally I think there should be two changes to voting, firstly it's an offence not to vote and secondly at the bottom of every ballot paper there should be a box saying "None of the Above", only then can we truly say we have the opinion of the nation
Old 10 October 2014, 09:52 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Is it really a vote for UKIP though? All Clacton have done is vote in their old MP, I'm not sure how much that means tbh.
Look at Heywood & Middleton - Labour stronghold, yet UKIP were only 600 votes behind Labour! Tories came in miles behind.

Lib Dems are just non-existent now.
Old 10 October 2014, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Lib Dems are just non-existent now.
Oh how I hope that's true....
Old 10 October 2014, 11:57 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Everyone I speak to say they will vote UKIP, apart from my Leftist brother who champions the Green Party.
Old 10 October 2014, 12:08 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It's all unravelling for Cameron & Co.

A UKIP MP, nearly two UKIP MPs.... economy in trouble, FTSE plummeting, Ebola indecision..... hopefully we are witnessing the death throes of the result of an outdated political system
Old 10 October 2014, 12:20 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The rise in reported child grooming, taxi rape, Ebola cases travelling overseas and the incontrovertible ISIS-UK connection couldn't have come at a better time for UKIP.

The BBC and rival parties are going to have to turn the spin/propaganda machine into overdrive.
Old 10 October 2014, 12:50 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's all unravelling for Cameron & Co.

A UKIP MP, nearly two UKIP MPs.... economy in trouble, FTSE plummeting, Ebola indecision..... hopefully we are witnessing the death throes of the result of an outdated political system
I think our political (or electoral system at least) is about to deliver us a 'majority' Labour government and Ed Milliband as PM, with between 30-35% of the vote!

In my view this will spark a much deeper resentment of the current UK political landscape
Old 10 October 2014, 12:52 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
The rise in reported child grooming, taxi rape, Ebola cases travelling overseas and the incontrovertible ISIS-UK connection couldn't have come at a better time for UKIP.

The BBC and rival parties are going to have to turn the spin/propaganda machine into overdrive.
That says it all doesn't it really.
Old 10 October 2014, 12:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I think our political (or electoral system at least) is about to deliver us a 'majority' Labour government and Ed Milliband as PM, with between 30-35% of the vote!

In my view this will spark a much deeper resentment of the current UK political landscape
Maybe, maybe not, but the point is people now have a new party to vote for who are striking a chord with a lot of people.... not something the other three parties are doing despite all their bluster.

I think we will get a coalition government, but I am unsure as to how it will be made up. I really don't think Miliband appeals to even grass roots Labour voters so I doubt he will get a majority even by the back door.

Sadly though this will be the Tories main argument for not voting UKIP which kind of illustrates how poor they are.... their best argument for voting for them is to stop Labour getting in.... a sad state of affairs frankly!
Old 10 October 2014, 01:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I was down in Clacton yesterday door knocking to get people out to vote, and at the party afterwards. It was a truly awesome day, the support on the doorstep was one of "we need you to win, we have no one else speaking for us". I spoke to Nigel, Douglas and Mark afterwards, and after the Heywood vote as well, they are all very bullish on Marks chances.

The interesting thing was the stories from around the country from other UKIPPers. There is massive support out there, it is more of a question of can UKIP organise its party resources out there in time in order to hoover up all the votes that are effectively waiting for them.

All this patronising talk of its just 1 MP blah blah, is completely behind the curve, amateur hour analysis. You need to get out there and talk to a wide range of people. This is more of the canary in the mine, a portent of things to come. The traditional parties are running round like headless chickens trying to spin it, but they're toast and they know it. Sure there wont be a UKIP Gvmt next time, but anyone saying there will be single digit UKIP MPs next May is out of touch. You heard it here first!
Old 10 October 2014, 01:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
I was down in Clacton yesterday door knocking to get people out to vote, and at the party afterwards. It was a truly awesome day, the support on the doorstep was one of "we need you to win, we have no one else speaking for us". I spoke to Nigel, Douglas and Mark afterwards, and after the Heywood vote as well, they are all very bullish on Marks chances.

The interesting thing was the stories from around the country from other UKIPPers. There is massive support out there, it is more of a question of can UKIP organise its party resources out there in time in order to hoover up all the votes that are effectively waiting for them.

All this patronising talk of its just 1 MP blah blah, is completely behind the curve, amateur hour analysis. You need to get out there and talk to a wide range of people. This is more of the canary in the mine, a portent of things to come. The traditional parties are running round like headless chickens trying to spin it, but they're toast and they know it. Sure there wont be a UKIP Gvmt next time, but anyone saying there will be single digit UKIP MPs next May is out of touch. You heard it here first!

SDP anyone?
Old 10 October 2014, 01:14 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting times indeed.

I am actually quite politically aligned with Farage. The two issues I have with UKIP are

1) I always felt a vote for them would basically be a ticket for Milliband to walk into No 10. For most people political parties are a choice of lesser of evils, I'll take the Tories over Labour any day.

It seems this may no longer be the case.

2) UKIP is now attracting votes from ex Tory and ex Labour voters. How will the party be able to please them all?
I suppose Thatcher did to some extent, for a period of time, in that she got the blue collar vote/white van driver/essex man as well as the middle classes.

Interesting times for sure.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:17 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

I think Nigel is a very witty and funny guy. I agree with him on many things it's just a shame that his party will be hijacked by knuckledraggers, knuckled raggers and boneheads and so will his policies. Well i've done 30 years in the UK and have diabetes to show for it. I wonder where i will be for the next 30 years. I just hope wherever we are kicked out to have a warmer climate, cheap petrol, cheap cars and nice people with diabetes.

Last edited by Shaid; 10 October 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Interesting times indeed.

I am actually quite politically aligned with Farage. The two issues I have with UKIP are

1) I always felt a vote for them would basically be a ticket for Milliband to walk into No 10. For most people political parties are a choice of lesser of evils, I'll take the Tories over Labour any day.

It seems this may no longer be the case.

2) UKIP is now attracting votes from ex Tory and ex Labour voters. How will the party be able to please them all?
I suppose Thatcher did to some extent, for a period of time, in that she got the blue collar vote/white van driver/essex man as well as the middle classes.

Interesting times for sure.
In reality a vote for UKIP is a vote for Milliband. Their impact in Tory marginals will be where the election is won or lost, not is safe Labour strongholds.

Last edited by Martin2005; 10 October 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

UKIP isn't a party - it's one clever and personable character with a sharp wit honed by his many years working as a trader.

How many UKIP voters last night could actually name any senior UKIP members who might be useful in a coalition.

But the pint and *** may be enough as the British public are so stupid.

Cameron is fine but he does need to kick out some of his Etonian boys from the cabinet and stop harassing the low paid welfare claimants quite so much.

Miliband, nice guy but horrendous presentational skills. His brother would have been so much better.

Clegg - who is he? I can't remember. Oh yes, stuff business, no extra runway they can all use Schiphol instead.

dl
Old 10 October 2014, 01:29 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

If the tories get tougher on immigration and keep bashing the poor they will get back in,simples ......
Old 10 October 2014, 01:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

In reality a vote for UKIP is a vote for Milliband. Their impact in Tory marginals will be where the election is won or lost, not is safe Labour strongholds.
FFS you sound more and more like that w4nker Cameron every day!
Old 10 October 2014, 01:47 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

FFS you sound more and more like that w4nker Cameron every day!
OK wise guy you do the maths
Old 10 October 2014, 01:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

All this patronising talk of its just 1 MP blah blah,
They were laughing how it was no MPs last week I agree, the election will be very interesting indeed
Old 10 October 2014, 01:49 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OK wise guy you do the maths
Heywood & Middleton. They reduced a 6000 labour majority to just 617 votes with an 18% swing from Labour to UKIP. Maths done!
Old 10 October 2014, 01:56 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Heywood & Middleton. They reduced a 6000 labour majority to just 617 votes with an 18% swing from Labour to UKIP. Maths done!
Maths total fail!!

On a 36% turn out. Labour vote just didn't come out. It was a total collapse of the Tory and Lib Dem vote that made it close.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

it's about time the system got shook up and the main parties would then need to consider the real people not just there mates.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:58 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Yep, this is overlooked result from last night. Labour is on a knife edge of losing in "safe" Labour seats, where there have been 40 years of Labour MPs. How will Milliband get in if they start falling to UKIP?

The media are completely missing the significance of this
Old 10 October 2014, 02:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Maths total fail!!

On a 36% turn out. Labour vote just didn't come out. It was a total collapse of the Tory and Lib Dem vote that made it close.
Best get some new straws, those ones you keep clutching at are getting tired.
Old 10 October 2014, 02:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yep, this is overlooked result from last night. Labour is on a knife edge of losing in "safe" Labour seats, where there have been 40 years of Labour MPs. How will Milliband get in if they start falling to UKIP?

As is Martin
Old 10 October 2014, 02:35 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt

Well said
Old 10 October 2014, 02:55 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swing from Labour to UKIP may have been 18% but wasn't the swing from Tories far greater?
If so then what Martin says is correct, there is a good chance that in some marginals Labour will win by the back door.

Don't get me wrong, I like alot of what Farage says, I just don't want to see Milliband and ***** in charge of the country

Quick Reply: UKIP on the march?