Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody know about statutory sick pay

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2014, 07:26 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know about statutory sick pay

I am considering selling my car soon, due to ill health and have been signed off by my doctor, I have some stomach problems that require surgery.

I have been advised to take 6 months off.

I am unsure if statutory sick pay is a government scheme or something your employer has to do?

After speaking to my manager, I am entitled to 6 weeks full pay, then a further 3 weeks at half pay. This is in my contract, but it does not mention anything after this, my manager doesnt know either.

What happens after this? I am worried about being dismissed, and ideally I would like to keep the scoob, but if it has to go then it will.

Reading this page http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...utory_sick_pay

It says statutory sick pay can be claimed for 28 weeks, is this after my employers sick pay runs out?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Last edited by just me; 10 September 2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10 September 2014, 07:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think you are entitled to full pay, for any length of time tbh

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview
Old 10 September 2014, 07:38 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply hodgy, I was editing my post as you replied.

My manager has definately confirmed that their own company policy is 6 weeks full pay, then 3 weeks half pay.

Im concerned my employer may look for dismissal after this period due to stuff I've read on the internet. However the page you linked to states statutory sick pay my be paid for 28 weeks at a much lower rate.

This is causing confusion as to if and when I would be eligible for this?
Old 10 September 2014, 07:45 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After your contracted sick pay you'll move onto SSP which if you work full time 5 days a week will be around £87 per week for the next 6 months

If after that you are still not back at work then your employer has the right to terminate your contract, unless of course your actual contract says different (which im 99% sure it won't)

Of course you may be entitled to other benefits due to the drop in income, or if you have income protection insurance this would probably be activated if you are officially signed off and the lead time to the payment starts is within 6 months. Normally when people have this insurance they should align it to there employer contract and what they will pay.

You'll probably get a small income tax rebate at some point aswell all depending on your earnings and tax code

All IMO of course and above not to be taken as gospel!
Old 10 September 2014, 07:53 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by just me
Thanks for the reply hodgy, I was editing my post as you replied.

My manager has definately confirmed that their own company policy is 6 weeks full pay, then 3 weeks half pay.

Im concerned my employer may look for dismissal after this period due to stuff I've read on the internet. However the page you linked to states statutory sick pay my be paid for 28 weeks at a much lower rate.

This is causing confusion as to if and when I would be eligible for this?
Yes, I can understand your concerns, can you speak to your manager

Is it a big company

If they were going to get rid of you maybe they would not bother pay your for the discretionary 6 weeks

Can you do anything at all while you are off sick, CBT training etc (obviously don't answer if too personal etc)
Old 13 September 2014, 06:22 PM
palma0778
Scooby Regular

When i was off sick from work for 8 months my company paid me full wage for that time,but when i back to work after they make me redundant within 2 month hehehe
Old 13 September 2014, 06:31 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Many many thanks for the replies guys

Spoke to hmrc, I am entitled to ssp after the company sick pay runs out, the amount to be paid is still to be determined though.

I have another meeting with my manger next week so hopefully it will be a good outcome.

Trending Topics

Old 13 September 2014, 06:40 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by just me
Spoke to hmrc, I am entitled to ssp after the company sick pay runs out, the amount to be paid is still to be determined though.

I have another meeting with my manger next week so hopefully it will be a good outcome.
This is correct. I was off work a few years back and once company sick pay period was up, I automatically switched onto SSP. It was around £70-odd back then.

If that is not enough to live on, depending upon the company you work for (type of work available) it may be worth discussing a phased return to work, or alternative duties if health allows you to return earlier than the full six months.