Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

the NEW EIBACH for 01 ... Different???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 03:03 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

....Oh yes!!!!.... here they are kids.. the first 50 sets in the UK! ... are they different?.. have a look for yourself.

The picture shows the old fronts next to the new fronts.. and then the old rears next to the new rears. The free length of the new springs is much shorter and the raer is no longer a progressive wind.

The rear wire is .75mm thicker than the 00 kit whereas the fronts are .25mm THINNER!!!! hmmmm

Will fit a set tomorrow on a car with 19"..LET YOU KNOW!

Cheers

Trouser
Old 20 March 2002, 03:57 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

So,how much are they fitted to an MY01 then and can you do the Prodrive settings at the same time?
Gimme an all-in price if you can?

Cheers,

Nick..
Old 20 March 2002, 04:30 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Trouser

They look ace. Cant wait to get them fitted. Still deciding on date to book them in though!!!
Old 20 March 2002, 05:54 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

Trouser, can you tell us what the differences are? Did Eibach make these to your spec or did you tell Eibach what you were after and they came up with the changes themself? Have Eibach tested these?

Cheers,

Matt
Old 20 March 2002, 07:18 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All in price fitted and aligned?
Old 20 March 2002, 09:32 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

As above also how low will the car drop.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 20 March 2002, 09:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yer go on trouser spill all and tell us mortals how much its gonna hurt the credit card?
Old 20 March 2002, 09:48 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

The picture shows the old fronts next to the new fronts.. and then the old rears next to the new rears. The free length of the new springs is much shorter and the raer is no longer a progressive wind.

The rear wire is .75mm thicker than the 00 kit whereas the fronts are .25mm THINNER
OK Trouser. These are significantly different to the springs we had been expecting . So the effect of the change of diameter of the wires is that the fronts will be softer, and the rears harder, than the "classic shape" ones. To increase the effect of the thicker rear spring, they have half a less turn than the older ones, so again will be stiffer.

Any chance you could post up the spring rates for the old and new springs, and an idea of the fitted length?

Thanks

Duncan

PS. The information so far implies that they will give us the best of both worlds - a lower ride height (particularly at the front), with a controlled rear rate in comparison to the Prodrive springs.

Edited to add;

DOH!!! I saw this on the thread in the Suspension section which half answers my question;

quote from Trouser@TSL
EURO KIT

FRONT 32N/mm
REAR 30 N/mm

Bob, they will lower the car by 25-30mm.. very much like the "old" kit
I'm still interested in the fitted lengths though ....

[Edited by BugEyed - 3/21/2002 8:55:59 AM]
Old 20 March 2002, 10:30 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

me want, how much ????

Old 20 March 2002, 11:48 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Paul,
Weren't you ment to be making the tea at the time you were posting this. Dave looks so parched he's about to fall over

Iain.
Old 21 March 2002, 12:23 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

TSL price is (I think) £325+vat thats fitted and including full geometry setup.

Mine are being fitted April 5th

Paul,
You were probably going to anyway, but, could you take before and after photo's of the car, and either post on here or email me the pics (or do both)
Also, got any feedback from customers with the 19" rims, wanting to know what its like with them on, and after Eibachs fitted.

Cheers,
BOB
Old 21 March 2002, 10:16 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

WRXBOB - How can you wait that long? I used Northern pleading to get in for the 25th March!!
Old 21 March 2002, 02:07 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

So - the bottom line is what??

Should i be swapping the OLD eibachs for the new ones or not???

Jza
Old 21 March 2002, 02:11 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

BugEyed

I am intrigued by your comments below

PS. The information so far implies that they will give us the best of both worlds - a lower ride height (particularly at the front), with a controlled rear rate in comparison to the Prodrive springs.

Are you saying that the car will be better with a lower ride height at the front than given with our springs? What isn't controlled about the rate of our rear springs?

The reason I ask is that I think we tried this spec and found that the 32N/mm front springs gave some unpleasant effects like too much understeer, spoilt the ride and was generally not as good as the springs we did choose, predominantly as the car rode on (or too close to)the bumpstops.

The rear springs appear to be the same as ours. Funny that!!

Regards

Mike
Old 21 March 2002, 03:35 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike

The proof of this will be in the driving!

I have not attempted to compare the Eibachs with the Prodrive springs, but just the new Eibachs with the old Eibachs. Given Trousers comments on the springs
The rear wire is .75mm thicker than the 00 kit whereas the fronts are .25mm THINNER
this will result in the fronts being softer and the rears harder.

Softer front and stiffer rear springs will (as you know) result in less understeer - which sounds an improvement over the standard springs.

I agree that it is interesting that the design of the rear springs has changed from "progressive" to "linear". As you say, this looks suspiciously similar to the Prodrive ones ....

Will the fronts be too low and too soft? I don't know (and we'll only see when driving them on a bumpy surface) - certainly hitting the bump-stops would be a bad idea. From a styling point of view it will look good. Perhaps TSL will be providing lowered bump-stops next.

All in all, it is probably beyond my driving skills to tell the difference.

The use of stiffer springs to control the unsprung weight (as opposed to stiffer dampers) is not the ideal way to go. It is also interesting to note that the new front rates are now significantly less than the "Sports" option from Subaru, and much closer to the standard.

Mike - do you fancy clarifying what the rates of the Prodrive springs are?

Duncan

Edited to clarify my reasoning!

[Edited by BugEyed - 3/21/2002 5:31:12 PM]
Old 21 March 2002, 05:43 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Trouser,

So do these spring fit the STi7 ??? is that the springs are the same but struts inverted???
Tony
Old 21 March 2002, 06:11 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tony

They will physically fit as the spring seats are similar. However, they are not suitable rates.

If you see the exchange above between Mike Woods and myself, we have some questions over the rates on the new Eibach front springs when fitted to the WRX. Couple this to the extra weight (at the front ) of the STi, and you are likely to hit the bumpstops.

I suggest that you wait for Trouser to sort some decent springs for the STi (be sure that he will) before changing. Your frustrated - my WRX is still on its original springs after 8 months as I still not happy with any of the options (apart from the Ledas, but I'm also tight ). Perhaps Mike would like to give you a timescale for the Prodrive offerring for the STi.

[Edited by BugEyed - 3/21/2002 6:13:38 PM]
Old 21 March 2002, 06:19 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Duncan

the Subaru Sport suspension uses a different damper so they can probably get away with using a stiffer spring.

The relative benefits and other wise of stiffer springs and lower ride heights can get a little confused when you get too close to the bumpstops. It's quite conceivable that a softer front spring will give more understeer if it allows that car to roll or dive onto the bumpstop too early. If this is happening you have 2 options: either go stiffer and stop the car rolling so much but this normally hurts ride quality etc and causes understeer in low grip situations; or raise the ride height a little which allows more wheel travel but may give more body roll.

As an example a spring that is 10mm lower than the one we supply for the front of the WRX would need to be something like 50% stiffer to stop the car touching the bumpstops with the same load.

That's why we picked this ride height and spring rate.

Tony

Let me answer your question if I may. All the Impreza springs will fit the STi but as the car is heavier they will inevitably reduce the ride height also. They will therefore need to be either longer or stiffer or probably a combination of both to work in the same manner.

Mike
Old 21 March 2002, 06:26 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mike

I agree! One small point - the stiffer dampers of the "sports suspension" would in theory allow softer springs for a given ride height and avoid hitting the bump stops - yet they are much stiffer.

Duncan

PS On a personal note - any chance of an answer to my Email regarding the wheels?
Old 21 March 2002, 06:29 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, now you lot have got me thinking....

I'd like to lower my uk300 without losing the ride quality, I sthis possible ??

Ta

Andy
Old 21 March 2002, 06:40 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Andy

That was one of the design briefs of our spring kit when used in conjunction with the 18" wheels as fitted to UK300.

Speak to your Subaru Dealer.

Mike
Old 21 March 2002, 06:42 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Many thanks I will have a chat with them next week.

Ta

Andy
Old 21 March 2002, 06:43 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

So what we need then is a back to back on the new STi with the "Grey" Eibachs, the "Prodrive" Eibachs and the "TSL" Eibachs......

Trouser, if you want someone to carry this out for you, I'd be more than willing to help out ( - but someone would have to supply the STi ( ))

Seriously though, you are going to do a back to back test arn't you and post the differences?

Matt
Old 21 March 2002, 08:00 PM
Scooby-Duke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Paul,

Fitted ITG this morning, all ok. Early days but already noticeable difference. Let me know how you get on with the new DV next week, OK! I will be interested in one.

Strewth thank god there's photographic evidence I was at TSL yesterday, my missus thought I might have been playing away!
Hee Hee.

Thanks again Iain for the day out.

Dave
Old 22 March 2002, 02:31 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

If the bumpstops in the MY01 are the same as MY00 then it's easy to trim them and you can get an extra inch of travel.

You can even do this on car. Jack up car move shock sleeve, trim bottom 1 or 2 coils using stanley knife.

If you want to check whether your car is REALLY hitting the bump stops instead of speculating, you can use wire ties. Again, jack up car, move shock sleeve, tie on wire tie at the bottom so that it will sit in position should you slide it up or down. Make sure bumpstop is slid up to top. Go for vigorous drive, jack up and mode sleeve and see if wire tie ends up flush with bumpstop. Easy :-)

Regards,

David
Old 22 March 2002, 07:40 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Mike,
Many thanks a little wiser now My dealer is fitting them today prodrive Eibachs I think

Tony
Old 23 March 2002, 01:51 PM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone got any photos of their STi's with the new springs and the lower ride height?

Gerrod