Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Not subaru, but my m3 powered E36 drift project.

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 06:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not subaru, but my m3 powered E36 drift project.

I thought I'd show you my project car. The concept of which was to build a drift car from my M3 powered E36, but to do it with a difference.
Most drift cars are designed to look as outrageous as possible. However my experiences of owning a 3-door Sierra Cosworth (and being on first name terms with the man behind the counter of my local police station with the amount of producers I got for driving a nice car) did not make me want to go back to building a car which stood out.
With that in mind, I came up with the concept of "stealthdrift", a car which has been designed to be sorted in every department with regard to drift, but externally would give nothing away as to what it was capable of.
The car was ideal as a base for the project. It has been chipped and was meant to be running 300bhp, but as well as that could be used as a normal car when needed. As well as that it also has a bit of history. Interesting fact, this car used to belong to DJ Dougal! 8)
I had the best of intentions at the start, but events consipred against me. A growing misfire went from bad to worse with noone able to tell me what the problem was.
Eventually I had to take the car off the road as it was undrivable, so a few phone calls were made and I arranged to take the car over to Phil Crouch at CPC auto. He came over to look at the car and agreed to investigate the problem.
After a negotiating the waiting list commensurate to someone of his talents, the big day arrived....
She was duely loaded up onto a trailer and taken down the road.

then down the motorway

Funny, going down the motorway on a trailer and she's still a handsome bugger
and finally into the garage at CPC

Phil then worked his magic on the car.
After a few weeks I went over to see how things are going. At the garage, I see the old girl. I notice something subtle that tells me the engine is out. See if you can spot it

Lifting up the bonnet, my suspiscions are confirmed, note the gaping hole when the engine used to be.

Inside, its a hotbed of activity. My engine is in bits and here are the important bits.

These bits have the luxury of being intact and serviceable.
These ones are less lucky.

This is an exhaust valve. There are 12 of them on the M3 and each one in this particular engine are in this condition. I.E. bent to buggery and utterly useless.
The bent valves caused a problem themselves, namely with the cylinder head

its difficult to see, but the valve seats are actually excessively worn, when I run my finger on the seat edge, I feel a concave surface. This is the reason the engine was running as rough as a badgers ****.
The main problem with this is the physical cost. Each valve is 85 quid from BMW. to get the valves re-cut will cost 400 quid. Fortunately, there is a second option.

a replacement cylinder head was procured and delivered to the garage the very next day. An initial look over was promising and a full tear down began shortly afterwards to graft it to my engine.
This head drastically reduced the overheads in this rebuild and got things going in terms of time till back on the road.
A few weeks later, I go back again.
Another profile picture of the car, and once again, see if you can spot the subtle signals that the engines back in

Opening the bonnet and I see a sight that makes me go warm in the underclangers.

As well as that, the M3 Evo Exhaust is on the car and sounding very nice indeed.

But its the guts of the where the real work has been done. The car is now wearing the following items to go with the freshly rebuilt engine.
3.2 Evo Flywheel and Cutch,
Custom Built Diff,
New Brake lines (together with its attendent MOT pass certificate).
While we're on the subject of the MOT, the emmissions test was a major surprise, seeing how the car passed without the benefit of lambda sensors. Positive proof that phil does nothing but high quality work.
The only thing to do today is get the bugger started! Here is a video of me doing just that (as well as a small reminder of just who owned the car originally)
Video of Engine startup - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Enjoy!

A few days later, I recieved "the call" from Phil @ cpc on friday telling me my car not only was ready, but had a brand new MOT certificate to go with it
I had the weekend to drop the car I was using off at the place I would store it, transfer the insurance over, tax it, then arrange to pick it up.
I was a pedestrian for precisely 24 hours before I picked it up. Heres a few shots of the car
She was as dirty as hell, so a wash and polish later and she was looking presentable.

As well as that, a new race seat was slotted in. FIA approved and very very snug!

Over to the business end of the car. £3500.00 of engine rebuild looks like this:

the money was difficult to justify, but Phil did mention the fact that now that its rebuilt its effectively a new engine and one of those from BMW is 14.5K!
When you think of it like that, it kind of puts it in perspective.
and due to popular demand, one final shot of the rump of the car.
Just for ****s and giggles

A few weeks later, with the engine approaching the end of its run in period, I thought it was time to give erganomics the one and only nod I intended to give it.

A Momo F1 steering wheel has been in my posession for quite a while now, but I've never gotten round to getting an adapting boss for it. However a trip round to a friends saw me getting a boss in return for my M3 wheel, and after a couple of goes lining her up so she's level when the wheels are dead ahead, I got it just about perfect.

Also, a billet aluminum gearknob replaces the battered M3 item I had on there when I bought the car. Not as effective as a quickshift, but its reduced height does reduce the throw somewhat. No jagged edges at all on this one either, something which pissed me off no end with the previous metal gearknobs I've fitted.
And finally shot of both items in the office. Defintiely a nicer place to be:smokin:

With the amount of miles I do, the run in period finished before I knew it and I was finally allowed to give the car some welly.
Phil @ CPC said I should drive between 1500 & 4000 rpm for 1000 miles, but I gave it 1500 just to be sure.
Removing all the warning stickers from the dash felt a little stange, but some trial acceleration runs to 5.5k were interesting to say the least.
The "squat" that I had on my old Sierra Cosworth under hard acceleration was evident once again, but the real difference was the torque. On the Cossie it came in a huge rush as the turbo spooled up, but here it was linear. A constant band of torque from 3000 to the redline pushed me up the road in no uncertain terms, reminding me if nothing else that I was driving a N/A car with 100bhp per litre.
getting used to the cars speed, I decided to take it out for a few practice drifts. Nothing serious, esp when I still had the standard suspension on, but the Diff still hadn't been used properly, so on a wet and rainy night over the weekend, I headed out to my favourite private roads.
Initiating into a roundabout with very little grip indeed produced results instantly. The sweetest diff lock I've experienced in a long time pushed the back end out and countersteer was fed in till the car felt comfortable going round.
Modulating the drift with the throttle and steering proved predictable and comfortable, but best of all, when I gave it too much throttle and the car threatened to spin, the 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn of lock all S14a drivers are familiar with which get you out of trouble if you get enthusiastic with the loud pedal seemed to be present on the BM as well
All in all, I was impressed. Even with the standard (and pretty worn out) suspension on, the car was predictable, controllable and a hell of a lot of fun to drive. As well as that, the Diff was worth its weight in gold. I did feel a little ripped off with the price I paid for it, but I have upgraded that to "reassuringly expensive" when I realised how lock happy it is (the best way to describe the lock is "sweet"), how the spinning of the inside wheel if I put it on full lock and nail it into a donut just will not happen and how its as quiet as an open diff. Definitely money well spent
Now, this is where things get a bit weird. Before the rebuild, there was a problem with the steering. Specifically, it would lock up and get incredibly hard to turn. Not all the time, but when I initiated, it was there pretty much every time I did. This was a hinderence to say the least.
Now, I didnt mention this at all to Phil @CPC but in between now and then, the problem seems to have gone away. Numerous drifts, colockwise and anti clockwise, as well as different methods of initiation, has not made it resurface. Not that I'm complaining of course, but it remains a bit of a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that Phil replaced the engine mounts as they were "shot to pieces" and due to its close proximity to the rack and column linkages, the engine might have been touching the column when I swung the car in.
However nice the engine was, it was clear that I needed suspension to compliment the engine.
However, before I did that, I found myself at Santa Pod and was allowed on the drift circuit.
Despite buying the car in 2005, engine rebuilds, open diffs and lots of raves meant this is the first time I've drifted Dougal's old car.
But I'm pleasently surprised by the results.

8)
P.S. cheers to Ross at www.doristars.com for the pic
After that, I busied myself getting parts I needed for the car. Because I'm inept at spannering I've been holding off getting the suspension fitted until I have a few more bits I need to make sending it to the garage worthwhile.
As everyone was launching their cars round trax, I was picking up a 6 speed Evo Gearbox to replace the 325 item I have on there at the moment. It cost a fair bit, but advantages include being able to handle the power and an extra gear to keep the revs down and help pay for the extra outlay on the motorway journeys.
As well as that, due to the differences between the M3 and the evo, I also needed a propshaft. Luckily I managed to find one ebay for £3.99
as well as that, an M3 exhaust complete with lambda sensors has also been aquired to eliminate the chugging at idle the cars been suffering from. with this plumbed in and running it'll be as smooth at idle as it is at revs.

Yesterday I went back to CPC with a bundle of cash. Handing over said bundle of cash and I get my car back, minus old, worn out and standard parts and wearing several replacement, uprated and new items.
As well as that, Phil shows me the "Rogues gallery" of the old parts,

this car is nothing without surprises, but even this one surprises me.

This is the top mount for the offside rear suspension. The rod is still in place becuse phil had to cut it off. he had to cut it off to remove it because it had been welded in place
As well as this, here is the evo propshaft I got for the car.

Its not fitted but it has been chopped in half. It was sent away along with my original prop and then welded together, then balanced. This was done to accomodate the difference in parts between the Evo and the 3 litre.
The gearbox may be one thing but the other (and some might argue more important) is, of course the coilover suspension. You all know what I got for the car, here's some pictures of them on the car.

As well as that, the car is also wearing uprated suspension top mounts. They were expensive, but in the long run it'll be worth it.
So here she is. Back wearing the coilovers, the modified prop, the top mounts and everything else that has gone before. the car still needs things done, but everything I originally set out to do has been completed.

Like I said, theres more to do, I still need strutbraces and if I want to compete next year I'll need an FIA approved 4 point harness and a 6 point rollcage, but thats can be addressed later.
For now, my work and Project Stealthdrift is complete
astraboy.
Old 21 October 2007, 07:24 PM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Cool project Astraboy, very stealth.
Old 21 October 2007, 07:39 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nice job there - I know your "pain" with the valve stems.

I had to do the same with Wifey's GTi6 (Pug 306) - ended up getting the whole lot re-done and whilst there, had the various ports (technical, I know!) re-bored
All this started off from a suspected head gasket failure

I thought about the replacement head thing, but it was all done by a mate (with a bit of help from me!) so had it quite cheap.

Goes like the clappers now!

Loving the drifting piccy though

Dan
Old 21 October 2007, 07:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Good project that, Astraboy. I have some suitably stealthy black Sabelt harnesses going begging if you want to make me an offer. Virtually new condition.

I even have the box!
Old 22 October 2007, 11:23 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is looking fantastic mate and I can't wait to see it again Last time I drove it I thought it felt good (apart from the wonky suspension) It should be 100 times better now.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:21 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

cool as...great project
Old 23 October 2007, 12:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the positive feedback, it feels great to drive, mainly due to the fact all the worn out parts are now replaced or uprated!
As well as that, I posed the question of her potential top speed due to the 6 speed box and the 3L diff.
After a few sums from a knowledgeable chap on pistonheads, I can tell you the car is geared for 202mph
here see for yourself!
m3 evo/3L Gearing-top speed question.
Happy is not the word!
astraboy.
PS, JTaylor, YHPM

Last edited by astraboy; 23 October 2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:52 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I'm sure Mr Clarke will be very happy with what you're doing with it I bet he's put some miles on her! Enjoy and play nice
Old 27 October 2007, 12:42 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great Project
Great Q Car
Old 27 October 2007, 06:31 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

'DJDougal'? I was underwhelmed by him at the Scumball launch.....
Old 28 October 2007, 09:46 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 17 March 2008, 12:54 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

right, time for another update, this time with a few from the drift day i attended a few days ago.
I didnt take any chances, engine, gearbox and diff oil changes the day before and as well as that a new radiator. Another surprise of the car was it was running the original 1993 325 radiator. It had coped surprisingly well with a m3 engine, but it was getting increasingly leaky so a new one was in order.

This preparation served me well, the car performed faultlessly all day. here are the results.
On the left kidney track:

On the right kidney track:

On the main circuit:

And here are the results. I did four tyres over the course of the day, my road tyres are at the top of the picture

The day was not without incident though, I noticed at full lock the inside of the tyre was touching the arch liner, acting like a brake and spinning the car. As well as that, I also noticed about 5mm worth of play in the steering at the end of the day. A phone call to Phil and he confirmed the demands that drifting make on steering systems.

This gives me all the motivation I need to develop the car further.
next:
Steering and brakes
astraboy.
Old 17 March 2008, 02:33 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

sleeper cool pics dood love the 316 badge
Old 17 March 2008, 05:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

nutter
Old 17 March 2008, 06:55 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Thanks for the positive feedback, it feels great to drive, mainly due to the fact all the worn out parts are now replaced or uprated!
As well as that, I posed the question of her potential top speed due to the 6 speed box and the 3L diff.
After a few sums from a knowledgeable chap on pistonheads, I can tell you the car is geared for 202mph
here see for yourself!
m3 evo/3L Gearing-top speed question.
Happy is not the word!
astraboy.
PS, JTaylor, YHPM
Cool project
Would ou not be better running very low gearing you arent going to hit 202mph drifting
Just think how quick through the gears it could be if you could drop the final drive a chunk
Old 25 December 2009, 10:32 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Its been a while since I've updated this thread, but theres a reason for this, I've been saving

I've been saving cos I was under no illusions, I'd not spent enough time, money or attention on the stealthdrift. she was looking shabby and I knew it.

Worst of all, a nasty delamination at the DWYB BMW drift demo day saw the rust on my rear offside arch transform into a gaping hole.

Clearly this was unnaceptable, so after saving sufficent funds, I took her to the only place I could. Littleknocks!

The big day arrived and the night before I marked out the parts which needed treatment.

Creeping rust is a complete pain in the ****, so I took it to the best place to be sorted.

It didnt go alone though, I took along replacements for the only part of the bodywork which I objected to, the front and rear ends.

Then I left it in chris's capable hands. And waited.
The waiting game was played. I was in no hurry, I dont use the car on a daily basis and I knew better to rush someone who was working on bodywork, but eventually, as christmas loomed, I got "the call" and made my way to wokingham.

What greeted me when I arrived, was a vision of perfection.

She is perfect and best of all, all the rust in the previous post was totally gone

Best of all, the gaping hole was gone and replaced with hard metal and virginial paint.

Consider if I may, the front end.

The perfect marriage of muscle and understatement, road presence and exclusivity. I never thought I'd be this fired up by asthetics after years of being a pure horsepower fiend, but I love the way this car looks now.

Massive shouts to Chris and the boys at littleknocks, their repuatation for attention to detail is well founded.

The amount of consultation alone was enough to convice me it was money well spent. Every time an important decision was required, Chris was on the other end of the phone, giving impartial advice yet pointing me in the right direction at the same time.

Now the car looks as well as it goes. It will also be the first christmas on the planet where i am tempted to go out and polish my car
astraboy.

Last edited by astraboy; 25 December 2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 25 December 2009, 10:51 PM
subaru-impreza-2000
Scooby Regular

truly amazing mate nice little project that!

Good read.
Old 26 December 2009, 03:08 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great project, looks really good now. how much was the respray??

wiley
Old 26 December 2009, 08:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

the derust, bumpers, new numberplates and respray set me back 2200.
It was a lot, but in this game, you get what you pay for.

This morning, I woke up and saw the dew had fallen in the night. Time for some pictures of one of the finest things to happen to a freshly resprayed car, beading!

thereafter, i gave her a wash and wipe down, then it was time for more pictures!

I made a point of turning the car round and photographing the rear end.

To be honest, I think the rear end is a little too ostentatious for my tastes, but it matches the front end, which saves the car looking like a dogs dinner, so I suppose I'll have to put up with it.
Tomorrow, a damn good polishing!
astraboy.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know the car had so much rust on it before, I saw the photos of it painted on facebook but I didn't realise just how much of a difference there was!

The car looks really great now, it looks like new and it must also drive like new
Old 26 December 2009, 08:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good but why are u putting so much much £ n effort into its paint n looks when it's a drift car??
Old 27 December 2009, 05:56 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Looks good but why are u putting so much much £ n effort into its paint n looks when it's a drift car??
It was more of a case of the rust forcing my hand and while I'm there I'd better do things properly.
Besides, drift cars are allowed to look good, they just dont stay that way for long!
astraboy.
Old 28 December 2009, 10:51 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story, and some cracking work gone into that. Littleknocks do come highly recommended so no real surprise at the quality of the work
Old 09 March 2010, 11:06 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Now she's been resprayed, the car is getting more popular. Here are scans of the small features on the car.
Practical Performance Car:

And Total BMW

As well as that, full photoshoots have been performed on the car, but Performance and Total BMW respectively. Those with Facebook logins can see my personal photos of both occasions.
Performance BMW Photoshoot, Santa Pod Raceway:
Rhodri Tippett's Photos - Performance BMW Photoshoot! | Facebook
and Total BMW, Brooklands Museum:
Rhodri Tippett's Photos - Total BMW photoshoot! | Facebook

Those of you who collect the magazines can see the Stealthdrift in full on sideways action in this months issue, which can be found here:

What's Inside This Months Issue Of Performance BMW Magazine
Enjoy!
astraboy.
Old 09 March 2010, 11:33 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

nice build ..well done
i always enjoy your posts .

Last edited by paulwrxboro; 09 March 2010 at 11:36 PM.