Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Had my ride "pimped" yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2004, 10:32 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Had my ride "pimped" yesterday....

..don't worry, I haven't let anyone put a shoe-rack in my boot nor changed the interior light for a chandelier
My car was cleaned yesterday using a new technique which doesen't require any water!

Sorry about the quality of the image but without the sun, you don't get the appreciation of the shiny finish.
If anyone wants further information on this product or wants a good valet at a very good price (midlands area) then check out my mate's webpage:-
www.adv-detailers.co.uk

If the sun comes out today I'll try for some better pics.

Nick
Old 02 August 2004, 10:01 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Default Looks good

But, with no offence to your mates business,

Two educational studies - one from the University of Texas, and the other from the Technical University of Munich, in cooperation with Mercedes - Benz - prove that a single hand wash produces scratches 1/10 as deep as the paint’s thickness - far too many scratches to count. This repeated abrasive scouring destroys the paint’s ability to achieve or maintain a gloss, or to provide protection against rust and corrosion.
(Taken from the website)

Sounds like a load of marketing tosh to me.

I've been handwashing cars for years (of all paint finishes and types) (albeit with care and quality products) and have never experienced abrasive scouring or scratching which destroys the paint's ability to achieve or maintain gloss (and I'm a fussy bugger that can spot a fine surface scratch at 10 feet).

What I have seen over the same period is that many people cause fine scratching when polishing or waxing due to incorrect cloths/towels/applicators onto paintwork that is not 100 free of dust and grit.

Leaving that aside, I'd be keen to understand the process whereby spraying something on (presumably) manages to lift the dirt particles clear of the paint (particularly on really ingrained dirt)

D

Last edited by Diablo; 02 August 2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02 August 2004, 12:32 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Cool THAT AINT PIMP!!

Now this is PIMP, and it's mine

http://hortonracing.co.uk/hralbums/a...eels.sized.jpg

sly
Old 02 August 2004, 12:52 PM
sampit
Scooby Regular

Diablo marketing tose is right,
i have been responsible for hand washing over 250,000 cars over the past 15 years never experienced this
this stuffs been around for years
marketed under different names
stay clear you cant beat water

Last edited by sampit; 02 August 2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02 August 2004, 06:08 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Guys, guys, guys! I was a little sceptic about this myself. My car was pretty clean before the work was done as I'd washed it the day before.
So even if you were worried about using it to get rid of dirt first, you could always wash it with trusty ol water then have the wax done afterwards.
Whatever, the point I was trying to make was for the bargain price I paid, I received a top waxin job!

Nick
Old 02 August 2004, 08:14 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

my mates just put 24" chrome badboys on his rangy now thats pimpin. with an overfinch body kit on the way it will look the nuts!
Old 02 August 2004, 09:58 PM
ADV Detailers
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Diablo
But, with no offence to your mates business,

(Taken from the website)

Sounds like a load of marketing tosh to me.

Blah blah blah

What I have seen over the same period is that many people cause fine scratching when polishing or waxing due to incorrect cloths/towels/applicators onto paintwork that is not 100 free of dust and grit.

Leaving that aside, I'd be keen to understand the process whereby spraying something on (presumably) manages to lift the dirt particles clear of the paint (particularly on really ingrained dirt)

D
I use very fine quality terry type cloths which are very soft. The products key ingredients are Kaolin clay which encapsulates and lifts the dirt from the paints surface (a wet sponge cant do that!!!), I wipe the dirt of in one direction only which leaves behind a carnauba wax residue which i buff to a wax finish.

Yes your right, it is marketing... but its not tosh... all depends on whoes doing the cleaning if you are going to be fair. Us enthusiasts do take more care and so your car's finish is safe in your hands, but tell me, would you let a boy scout clean your car?? would you use a jetwash or a car wash??? I get to see a clean cars that are not owned by enthusiasts, and for them, the 'marketing tosh' as you quaintly put it is true. I am a Scooby driver myself, and love my car to bits. I treat my car to a 1/2 valet evrey week and simply put... I NEVER HAVE ANY INGRAINED DIRT. It takes me 45mins to do my car to showroom standard and thats including hoovering it out and polishing the interior.

Yes there are other similar products on the market, but they contain kerosene. The product I use contains NO silicones, kerosene or abrasives and is totally environmentally friendly.

You are knocking something you have not seen or tried. Unfortunately unless you can afford to import it by the pallet load from the USA... you never will.

Further more, one of my regular customers has a black Merc 600cl. I have been the only person to clean it from new and there are no feather scratches to be seen. In addition, he owns a Lotus and TVR garage, and is happy to let me loose on them. He also has farraris and Noble's... so I am sorry to say, I am offended, cos you are talking about something you know nothing about. go talk about dump valve's or something.
Old 02 August 2004, 10:07 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

What are farraris?
Old 02 August 2004, 10:13 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Question

ADV - Maybe I read it wrong but I didn't think Diablo was rubbishing your product. He did however ask
I'd be keen to understand the process whereby spraying something on (presumably) manages to lift the dirt particles clear of the paint (particularly on really ingrained dirt)
...something I think we would all like to understand. Can you shed a little more light? I can understand a 'physically' clean car that is getting a thorough cleanse, but what about one that had been thru a field and left a few days? Surely you risk spreading fine grit etc. across the paint? Just would like to know at what point your product and process would be used.
Old 03 August 2004, 12:09 AM
JTM
Scooby Regular

LOL at chris's scooby

Old 03 August 2004, 10:47 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

ADV Retailers, I'm not knocking your product mate, read my post again - I'm curious to know how it works though.

Agreed, I wouldn't let a boy scout wash my car, or run it through a car wash. TBH, no one gets to wash our cars except me

OK, it may not be tosh, but its very misleading. But then it wouldn't read quite as positively for the product if it said:-

Two educational studies - one from the University of Texas, and the other from the Technical University of Munich, in cooperation with Mercedes - Benz - prove that a single hand wash by a ham fisted idiot using fairy liquid and a rough, dirty sponge that has been dropped on the ground a few times and who drags the hose pipe over the paintwork produces scratches 1/10 as deep as the paint’s thickness - far too many scratches to count. This repeated abrasive scouring destroys the paint’s ability to achieve or maintain a gloss, or to provide protection against rust and corrosion (Albeit that real world studies by careful individuals demonstrate that no such scratching can occur if care is taken).

Now would it

D

(and £100 says I can find a fine surface scratch on that black Merc. You may have had it from delivery, but before that its been through a factory and a dealers valet bay )

Last edited by Diablo; 03 August 2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:54 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Oh - and now I'm offended - I know a sh*t load about cleaning cars
Old 03 August 2004, 01:09 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

- prove that a single hand wash by a ham fisted idiot using fairy liquid and a rough, dirty sponge that has been dropped on the ground a few times and who drags the hose pipe over the paintwork produces scratches 1/10 as deep as the paint’s thickness - far too many scratches to count.
So, how long you been working in marketing then?
Old 03 August 2004, 01:15 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

On the very day that I bought my scoob I booked a full valet from a company in Edinburgh that used the 'Waterless' car cleaning system....

Guy did his job, I paid him his cash, then I took the afternoon to wax my car properly

Even Autoglym made a much better job than that waterless stuff
Old 03 August 2004, 04:30 PM
ADV Detailers
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up Okay Bad hair day...

Oh - and now I'm offended - I know a sh*t load about cleaning cars
okay I spouted off a bit. Kaolin clay in the product does the job of encapsulating and emulsifing (cant spell that work f**k!) the dirt particles. No elbow grease is needed. You just take a soft fiberous terry style cloth and wipe in one direction to effortlessly remove the dirt ( it simply does not scratch, I know its hard to believe, but I would not clean a ferrari with it unless i trusted it!!). removing the dirt leaves only a wax residue which you buff to a high wax finish with a second soft terry type cloth. As i say, I do my Scooby every week, and its effortless... and always has that beautiful waxed finish in 45 mins. Thats including hoovering out, doing the windows, exterior & interior plastics, alloys and tyre's.

http://www.adv-detailers.co.uk/images/subaru.jpg

You would not use this product on a car that had been rallied through a field or that was simply caked in mud. I would hose it down first. Also you cant apply it on a wet car because of the wax. You use it on cars that are just used on the roads.

SiPie, as I said, there are many products that can clean a car without water, and it is my understanding that the product I use is the only one that contains wax (let alone carnauba wax). I.e. its the only one that gives a wax finish.

I have been using the product for eight months and am yet to fail to impress a customer... you can clearly see the finish on some of my customers cars posted on my site... now those are clearly clean, waxed, and shiny.

At the end of the day guys... my business is doing the talking... I am gaining new customers all the time who are bowled over by the quality of this products finish. So lord knows why I took offence diablo... and I didnt mean you know nothing about cleaning cars, I meant the product I use. Like I say, bad hair day... every customer is bowled over by it and I get loads of refferals. So, sorry for biting your head off.

Last edited by ADV Detailers; 03 August 2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03 August 2004, 05:30 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate - cheers for the explanation
Old 03 August 2004, 07:10 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Had my ride "pimped" yesterday
You have no idea.............i'm x to the z xzibit and i'm about to pimp your ride
Old 04 August 2004, 06:23 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Can I have a sample to use in Belgium ?
I'm interested because I'm setting up a small business for "at-yer-home-cleaning"...

Creepy
Old 05 August 2004, 11:50 AM
ADV Detailers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Creepy
Can I have a sample to use in Belgium ?
I'm interested because I'm setting up a small business for "at-yer-home-cleaning"...

Creepy
Email me via my website.