Notices

Foglight fluid level low...

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2013, 09:19 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglight fluid level low...

Ok, so that's not entirely correct, but here we go.

06 Hawk WRX Type UK.

N/S/F foglight is filling up with water. I can't see why/where it's coming from. I've drained it once and couldn't see an obvious cause. I'm half temped to drill a hole in the bottom for drainage.

Anyone have any clues on this one? Or encountered the same problem?

I don't see any point splitting the light unit until I find out why it's filling up. Once I've found out why and corrected the issue, I'll clean the light unit up inside.

Cheers
Old 11 June 2013, 06:43 AM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

BTTT.

No one else had this problem?
Old 11 June 2013, 07:57 AM
blackhawksti
Scooby Regular

My headlight filled up with water on an STi Type Uk (06) and killed it! I'm convinced someone had managed to bump into my light without somehow hitting the wing/bonnet/bumper. I also saw damage to the reflective plastic on the inside so check for that also.
At least you have a WRX - the lights can be had for fairly cheap if you need to replace the whole unit (a xenon unit for a Hawk STi new costs over £700!! as i painfully found out). I wouldnt bother trying to split it, they're very fragile. If you do want to split, I found a good video which i posted on here showing it being done, step by step. Maybe split and lace it with extra sealant and see what happens?
Old 11 June 2013, 08:09 AM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackhawksti
My headlight filled up with water on an STi Type Uk (06) and killed it! I'm convinced someone had managed to bump into my light without somehow hitting the wing/bonnet/bumper. I also saw damage to the reflective plastic on the inside so check for that also.
At least you have a WRX - the lights can be had for fairly cheap if you need to replace the whole unit (a xenon unit for a Hawk STi new costs over £700!! as i painfully found out). I wouldnt bother trying to split it, they're very fragile. If you do want to split, I found a good video which i posted on here showing it being done, step by step. Maybe split and lace it with extra sealant and see what happens?
Gutted for you there mate.

It's my foglight that's the problem fortunately, not the head light. The headlights on mine are Xenon, so don't fancy changing one! lol.

I just can't see how/where/when water is getting in! Wondered if anyone had figured it out.

I'll have a look for you video bud. If you could find it though; that'd be "aces".
Old 11 June 2013, 08:56 AM
blackhawksti
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate that's me been slightly retarded. I mis-read it. The video I posted was of the splitting of a headlight not fog lamp. Don't have any fogs on the STi so can't help I'm afraid. I'm sure someone on here can help you out! Good luck
Old 11 June 2013, 09:09 AM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackhawksti
Sorry mate that's me been slightly retarded. I mis-read it. The video I posted was of the splitting of a headlight not fog lamp. Don't have any fogs on the STi so can't help I'm afraid. I'm sure someone on here can help you out! Good luck
No worries buddy!

The split procedure should in theory be the same. The only real difference being the shape.

I used to do it with a heat gun and loads of patience! Lol.

It actually looks like someone has tried to open it before and failed and given up! Lol
Old 11 June 2013, 09:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There's your clue.
Reseal all round between the lens and the rear plastic. I use this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...rafax&_sacat=0 which is a non-setting mastic used on caravans. It is totally waterproof,easy to use and the excess is cleaned off with white spirit.

While the unit is out, clean the rear and check carefully for any damage. Even a tiny crack can allow in water under pressure...and it IS under pressure when driving into rain etc at 70mph.
Old 11 June 2013, 09:56 AM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
There's your clue.
Reseal all round between the lens and the rear plastic. I use this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...rafax&_sacat=0 which is a non-setting mastic used on caravans. It is totally waterproof,easy to use and the excess is cleaned off with white spirit.

While the unit is out, clean the rear and check carefully for any damage. Even a tiny crack can allow in water under pressure...and it IS under pressure when driving into rain etc at 70mph.
The previous attempt never got past the seal. I tested to make sure. It's at the bottom, so if they'd succeeded in breaking the seal it would "auto drain"

I will however have another look at the casing. I couldn't see any immediate problems, but that's not to say there aren't any!! Lol.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11 June 2013, 04:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

On my rear lights, there was small indentation about the size of a little finger nail. It looked completely innocuous, yet the light could get a sizeable amount of water in over a wet night.

I filled it with Carafax just to check...and it's been dry ever since:rolleyes;
Old 14 June 2013, 11:25 AM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

For anyone following this, there is indeed the tiniest fracture in the foglight plastic housing.

As alcazar mentioned, at speed that's going to force water in, so it'll be coming off to be repaired, and will split the foglight to clean the lens.

I'll post up pictures when I get round to doing it!
Old 14 June 2013, 03:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I've not come across anyone who's split one successfully yet, keep us informed.
Old 14 June 2013, 03:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hammer and chisel.
Old 14 June 2013, 03:52 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've not come across anyone who's split one successfully yet, keep us informed.
Bit of heat and then as ditchmyster says; Hammer and Chisel!!