Notices

Those big rally car lights

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2011, 02:36 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those big rally car lights

Sorry, no idea what the correct name is ?

Would it be possible to have something similar that I could fit to my road car ? Legally ?

Thanks
Old 19 April 2011, 02:43 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you mean the ones mounted on a bonnet? Thats a bonnet pod with driving lights in.
Do some searches on here for driving lights, PIAA's or Hellla's.
Most are legal. The RB5 comes with PIAA 80XT's, which I have.

I'm sure alcazar will be along soon, he's got a pretty good setup.
Old 19 April 2011, 02:54 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a thread on here not so long ago where a guy was selling one off hs classic...
Rob
Old 19 April 2011, 03:49 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Do you mean the ones mounted on a bonnet? Thats a bonnet pod with driving lights in.
Do some searches on here for driving lights, PIAA's or Hellla's.
Most are legal. The RB5 comes with PIAA 80XT's, which I have.

I'm sure alcazar will be along soon, he's got a pretty good setup.
Ye there the ones I mean

I like driving b roads at night and classic headlights are nothing short of dangerous

I'll have a wee search
Old 19 April 2011, 03:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a look at Demon Tweeks, they, amongst others, sell lamp pods that fit on the bonnet. They come either bare, or with the rally lights, which can be PIAA's, Cibies, or even HID derivatives of those...........but DO be sitting down when you see the price for THOSE babies

For a classic, you need two two-lamp pods to clear the scoop, for later cars, one piece pods are OK.

Pods can either be permanently fitted, or fitted with quick-release fittings and wiring connectors, so that all you see when it's off are several small holes in stainless "bolts" on the bonnet top.

Prices WITH lights will start around £800-1000.

Mine runs a pair of Hella 1000FF HID's where the foglights were, plus it now has projectors with HIDs built into the headlights. The light output is amazing, the equivalent of 12 100W rally halogen bulbs, PLUS it's focused, it all goes where it should, with little or no scatter, and perfect cutoffs for dips.

Have a look here for my headlight setup:

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-a...mpler-way.html

And here, post 26 to see the output of my HID driving lights:
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...-lamp-kit.html

Last edited by alcazar; 19 April 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 19 April 2011, 09:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Subaru used to list the Hella spot light kit as an accessory, drill a hole in the rear case and fit an aftermarket HID kit ( H 1 ) and your in with the big-boys...

dunx

Old 23 April 2011, 12:09 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Have a look at Demon Tweeks, they, amongst others, sell lamp pods that fit on the bonnet. They come either bare, or with the rally lights, which can be PIAA's, Cibies, or even HID derivatives of those...........but DO be sitting down when you see the price for THOSE babies

For a classic, you need two two-lamp pods to clear the scoop, for later cars, one piece pods are OK.

Pods can either be permanently fitted, or fitted with quick-release fittings and wiring connectors, so that all you see when it's off are several small holes in stainless "bolts" on the bonnet top.

Prices WITH lights will start around £800-1000.

Mine runs a pair of Hella 1000FF HID's where the foglights were, plus it now has projectors with HIDs built into the headlights. The light output is amazing, the equivalent of 12 100W rally halogen bulbs, PLUS it's focused, it all goes where it should, with little or no scatter, and perfect cutoffs for dips.

Have a look here for my headlight setup:

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-a...mpler-way.html

And here, post 26 to see the output of my HID driving lights:
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...-lamp-kit.html
I was sitting down and i still almost fell of my seat !

thats a nice setup you have in your headlamps though, is that still road legal ?

Originally Posted by dunx
Subaru used to list the Hella spot light kit as an accessory, drill a hole in the rear case and fit an aftermarket HID kit ( H 1 ) and your in with the big-boys...

dunx
So its as simple as getting a set of spot lights and fiting an HID conversion to it ?

Alcazars seems like a good setup but its not cheap !
Old 23 April 2011, 12:25 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I know these are rather crude but do you think they'd do the job ?

I'm sure I'd be able to mod them so they come on and off easily

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...item58869cc7ff
Old 23 April 2011, 07:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Phew, lots of questions. Let's do them one at a time.

Yes, my headlamps are road legal, e-marked, plus they have washers and levelling fitted. They will NOT cause glare and NOT dazzle oncoming cars, unlike H4 HID conversions.

Yes, you can source some spotlights, (I prefer driving lights, not as pencil a beam), and fit an HID aftermarket kit to them, so long as your chosen lights don't use an H2 bulb. AFAIK, all other bulbs are catered for, but check with dealers about H3.
THEN you have to find a way of mounting them into the foglight recess. Dealers MAY have stock of the Hella 1000FF kits, if they do, ****** their hands off, lovely lights.

As regards those e-bay pods, I'd not touch them, they look rough, and are really for fitting on top of a truck/4x4. The lights are also NOT e-marked, so probably cheapo and not worth the effort. Anything that just sticks on with double-sided tape is to be distrusted, unless it's a numberplate etc. Also, they look gash.
Old 24 April 2011, 10:54 AM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

We do alot of road rallys and you would be suprised how good a set of hella 3000's or cibies are and wont cost as much as a full lamp pod. Get a good quality 130w or gas discharge bulb in em and make sure you set them up corectly, sucure the top with a set of stabiliser brackets. You will also need a good wire loom making up and the lamps are relayed also check to makesure u have the high out put altenator or you will literaly fry everything wen u turn em on. will fit nicely on to the classic just mid bumper and poke out just abv the bonnet line. Job done. pls be aware 130w bulbs are for private land use only so make sure u use them wisely. as Alcazar said driving beams are a good alround spot and pencil beams tend to be used along side ur lites, driving lites and used as a extra to pick out things in the distance. also make sure they only come on with the high beam!!!!! good luck.
Old 08 May 2011, 03:06 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

FAO stef 2010. These are the pods we used to use on the Prodrive GPA cars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...item2c5c71b285