Notices

Strange hid bulb problem ???!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2011, 11:27 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange hid bulb problem ???!!

Guys quick one- totally baffling me but hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on why this is happening ??!!

okay aftermarket hid lights fitted to wifes car, originaly had 8k hid bulbs fitted to the set which were the usual 35 watt large ballast type, normal blue / white light output given off by actual light with a blue tint to the surrounding road / grass verges, anyway one off the bulbs failed after a couple off years and then one off the ballast themselves shortly after so decided just seeing they are cheap enough just to go for a new set off slimline 35 watt styles ones complete with a set off new 8k hid bulbs.

was somewhat surprised when they were fitted to find that the blue tint output seen previously was now no longer and that now an intense white light was given off ?? thinking the new 8k bulbs had possibly been labeled up wrong and were infact 6k or even more like 4300k ?? I ordered another set off 6k bulbs from another seller and these turned out to be exactly the same ie just a pure white light with no hint off blue tint whatsover like I had seen on another car I had fitted with 6k bulbs which I actually liked the light output.

thinking this was indeed very strange to now find two set off bulbs that certainly appeared to not give off the normal 6k ( ice white with a very hint off blue ) or 8k ( white with a stronger blue tint ) but again more off 4300k light output I decided to try one last test and that was to replace the one known good 8k bulb from my original set that would deffinatly give the blue tint required- yes same again pure white with not a hint off blue.

surely its purely down to the actual bulbs themselves to give the actual light output in Kelvar or whatver it is ??!! and that simply changing ballasts should not in anyway cause the above ??

totally stumped ??!!

lastly, very occasionally have to switch the headlamps on twice to activate one side off the headlamps- any ideas ??? have now installed a relay harness where as before simply used the original lighting wiring.

any advice on the above would certainly be very much appreciatted.
Old 01 March 2011, 12:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So let me get this straight: even with one of the original bulbs used with a NEW ballast, THAT bulb now gives pure white light? NOT what it did?

The only explanation I can give is that the old ballasts were duff.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:02 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks mate yes just to confirm the old 8k bulb gave off a pure white light with not a hint off blue in the new ballast but white with a fairly strong blue in the old ballast ??!!
nope the old ballasts were fine, bought them off a group buy on here around 3-4 year ago and they ran great in all that time.

why are you saying the old ballasts were possibly duff ?? 8k is supposed to give white with a fairly string hint off blue in the light output anyway, even the other car which uses 6k gives a blue tint.

again totally baffled !!!!
Old 01 March 2011, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well, it can only be one of two things:

The bulbs, or
the ballasts.

Since the bulbs are now giving the SAME coloured light no matter, despite being different colour temperatures, it MUST be the ballasts that are different.......perhaps "duff" was too strong a word?

However, it is my understanding of how HID works that the colour temperature is set by the BULB, not the ballast, so I too, am at a loss to explain it.
Old 01 March 2011, 06:38 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep exactly my understanding as well !!

Quote " However, it is my understanding of how HID works that the colour temperature is set by the BULB, not the ballast, so I too, am at a loss to explain it.
Old 02 March 2011, 07:31 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 2 pairs of hids on my blobeye, purchased at different times both sets are supposed to be 6000k, one set looks white the others have a slight yellow tint. serves me right for buying cheapo bulbs off ebay. about £35 each instead of around £100+ for philips or osram.
Old 02 March 2011, 09:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I know someone with a set of 5000K bought off a "well-known" trader on here. The two bulbs are different colours
Old 24 September 2011, 10:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay just to bring up an old thread moved these slimline ballasts complete with 6K bulbs to my new blobeye and the light output was a strong white light not the cool blue light dad gets on his 6k hid lights, tried a new set off 8k bulbs I had here and they were even stronger white again not even a hint off blue in them !!!

which is purely down to the ballasts themselves, anyone else noticed similar results with there 6 or 8k bulbs ?? to be honest kinda like the look off the 6k bulbs but looks like with these particular ballsts I am not going to achive this whatver k rating bulb I use !!