Notices

And there it was.....on fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 10:42 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled up on the drive at home last Friday. Went indoors, got some money to walk down the newsagent, went back out the front door. noticed that one of my PIAA lamps was not adjusted right last time I had them on so went to push the light back so the beam was higher. Bent down and was engulfed in smoke. Panic now setting in. Opened the bonnet and there was a small fire raging in the bottom offside position of the engine bay. Yelled out to the wife to call the fire brigade and rolled the car away from the house. Fire brigade came, by which time the fire had burnt itself out and now there were just a few hefty sparks flying around. They disconnected the wirinmg loom from the battery and cut the relay out of the loom.

Today I spoke to a gent from PIAA uk, who wanted to see the relay. He informed me that it looked as if the short was caused by the relay being subjected to getting wet and the connectors rusting. This was identified by the green copper rust around the relay. PIAA are going to provide me with a new loom but this is warning for all those with exposed relays...........

The kit is 12-18 months old, bought from GGR and fitted by my main dealer. They worked fine for the period they were fitted. I'm not looking to blame anyone..........but christ, it gets you thinking.......

Neil
Old 28 March 2002, 09:52 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Jeez,You were lucky there mate!
A little tip - It's probably worthwhile keepin a small fire extinguisher in the boot just in case things like this happen.I used to have one in my last car but not in my Scoob.Think I might have to purchase one now,just in case! (They're around £30-£40 )

Nick..

P.S: Don't have PIAA's though
Old 28 March 2002, 11:31 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Holy **** mate thats frightening

At least PIAA have said they'll replace the loom.