Notices

Battery? Or Alternator & Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2010, 08:56 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery? Or Alternator & Battery?

Have had my 53 plate Blobeye STi UK Impreza for the last 6 years as of late I havent used it that much, before then it's had the battery changed back in 2006 with a VARTA D47 60ah due to the battery drain problems these cars face @ the delaers and it's been sat in the garage with a battery conditioner hooked up to it when not in use, with the longest time being for a good 6 months before I have started the car.

I have now come to use the car again for the run to and from work (9 miles each way) for the last 3 days and have a scangauge 2 hooked up to the OBD2 port in the car. The Voltage reading has been reading 12.5V without load and 14.4v with (side lights/Air-Con etc.). As of late I thought I best run the car with the side lights on, and low and behold the voltage reading jumped from 12.2V to 14.4V with the lights on so to give the battery a good charge. So far so good... but tonight after getting into the drive way after getting back from work without side lights but with stereo on noticed the scangauge 2 was reading the car battery @ 11.6v so tried putting the side lights on to see if the alternator would charge the battery back up and low and behold I just got the battery low indicator flashing slightly coming up on the dash board Then I put the main lights on and the light came on full, but the engine didn't start to splutter or anything . Switched the lights off and the battery indicator went off. Switched the car off and re-started first time but the battery indicator on the dash came on. Can a faulty/flat battery cause the alternator to stop working? Or has the Alternator failed?

Any ideas? Was looking at changing the battery just in-case but fear I may need to get a new alternator as well
Old 14 April 2010, 10:05 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap.....i too have a 04blob sti uk, travel 9 mile to work and back in it some days, have a battery conditioner fitted cause of the problems, have changed the battery recently, and have the same variable voltage readings. I have had so many suggestions as to what it is, but have come to the conclusion that the "inteligent alternator" is as thick as a Mc`Ds milkshake. The alternator works intermitantly, so you may put the side lights on but it wont start charging. One suggestion Ive had put to me is that the wires going into the alternator occasionaly become loose and so dont make a connection and so dont charge..
to conclude, sorry Ive no idea but if you ever find the answer, do let me know!!
Old 14 April 2010, 10:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response.

So it could be the alternator then... Damn This is the first time I have come across this issue since owning the car.
Old 15 April 2010, 11:54 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem since owning the car and it comes and goes for some unknown reason. it can be fine for months and then go flat after 3 days. Im sure I have a drain elsewhere too. Try tightening the wires going into the alternator. I find that the battery conditioner works well, but is a bit of a pain remembering.. Let me know if you ever rissolve this.
Old 15 April 2010, 06:10 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
I have had this problem since owning the car and it comes and goes for some unknown reason. it can be fine for months and then go flat after 3 days. Im sure I have a drain elsewhere too. Try tightening the wires going into the alternator. I find that the battery conditioner works well, but is a bit of a pain remembering.. Let me know if you ever rissolve this.
Okay will do. Going to swap the battery first as I have a feeling I have overcooked it with the conditioner
Old 15 April 2010, 07:13 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

hi guys, may i add that i have been asked by a few mates about this on there newage's, from what i gather newage's are known for this it is something to do with the way they charge, ford do it they call it smart charging,

most advise has been to drive with some load on the car ie: side lights hence the jump to 14+ volts,
Old 15 April 2010, 08:16 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Okay on the look out for a replacement Battery. Currently have a Varta D47 60ah battery installed and looking for a new one with 70ah. Any recommendations on what to buy and where to buy from?

Thanks.
Old 15 April 2010, 11:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

60ah to a 70ah? you need a 90ah one to start with, new age wrx's run a 75ah alternator, new age sti's run a 90ah one so you should match the battery to that.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 15 April 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 08:01 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
60ah to a 70ah? you need a 90ah one to start with, new age wrx's run a 75ah alternator, new age sti's run a 90ah one so you should match the battery to that.

Tony
Thanks Tony. So the Dealership that fitted my battery put the wrong one in then? If I need a 90ah one where can I get one from?
Old 17 April 2010, 10:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Okay I ended up buying an Exide 64ah Premier + Battery. Had a bit of a do with the battery clamp, once those rods come out they are tricky to get back into the holes :-( Anyways once the new battery was installed the same problem happened after start up, put the side lights on and the battery reading on the scangauge 2 showed 11.8v and the battery light came on the dash. Gave the car a few revs and low and behold the alternator kicked in and the charge shot up to 14.4v. Since the car appears to be charging the battery normally using eitehr side lights/fans and Air con but time will tell. The original battery after removal now has no longer a green light showing so it must have been duff.
Old 17 April 2010, 11:39 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Get yourself a battery charger and charge it. At least then you have a jump battery if required. The green indicator is just a small hydrometer that measures the specific gravety of the acid solution. When the indicator is green it just shows that the SG of the acid is correct. When it is dark it means the SG is low and the battery needs charging.
Old 18 April 2010, 01:48 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

I had problem with battery going flat and was advised by dealer to drive with sidelights on.Only worked for months until flat again.Changed to Halfords Heavy Duty battery and drive with sidelights on plus heater-foglights etc in winter.It has been 14 months now with no problems.My car is 05 STi .

Last edited by QUICKSCOOB; 18 April 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 18 April 2010, 09:02 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by QUICKSCOOB
I had problem with battery going flat and was advised by dealer to drive with sidelights on.Only worked for months until flat again.Changed to Halfords Heavy Duty battery and drive with sidelights on plus heater-foglights etc in winter.It has been 14 months now with no problems.My car is 05 STi .
If it comes to that what type of Halfords battery are you running on?
Old 18 April 2010, 10:10 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have one of their Calcium batteries on, it comes with a four year warrenty. So not bad, left the car for 6 weeks one time killed the battery and got it replaced a few months later. When it finally expired.
Old 19 April 2010, 03:50 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

it's all about the way the car charges and not the batteries, i know that you need the correct battery my m8 sold his wr1 because of this charging issue they have, and an optimizer will destroy it as it's just a low amp charge not the full 1 batteries need
Old 19 April 2010, 06:23 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
I have one of their Calcium batteries on, it comes with a four year warrenty. So not bad, left the car for 6 weeks one time killed the battery and got it replaced a few months later. When it finally expired.
Can I ask what Amp type the calcium is? Or even the model number if it has one? Thanks.
Old 24 April 2010, 04:02 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

New battery fitted, ran it out for 45 minutes all looked good. Stoppe the car, restarted up fine, but as soon as I put anything lectrical on the ALternator wouldn't kick in and the now informous battery light started to flicker up on the dash witht ehScangauge showing a 11.8V reading from the battery. May take a hit a get it into the garage for them to sort. Oh well...................
Old 24 April 2010, 06:20 PM
mike81
Scooby Regular

new ages have smart charging. You wont see a full 14v with out a load. If you have a trakker fitted these are normally the cause of the drain. the newer shapes seem to suffer.
Old 24 April 2010, 08:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike81
new ages have smart charging. You wont see a full 14v with out a load. If you have a trakker fitted these are normally the cause of the drain. the newer shapes seem to suffer.
Well I think I have found the problem. Only noticed this after the car warmed up, but the connection on top of the alternator was smoldering with fumes coming from the wiring loom and an burning smell. The wiring loom has silver stickers with a big 'S' printed. Made the mistake of trying to take the red cap off and it was HOT! Looks like something to do with the alternator after all Battery wouldn't charge and now down to 12.2V Off to the garage when I can to get sorted.

Picture of smoking top alternator connector:

Last edited by jpor; 24 April 2010 at 08:55 PM.