Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2010, 01:19 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving lights

hi everyone.

i am wondering if anyone does a set of driving lights for a 1999 classic shape impreza.

i am after a full set as i dont have any just the covers and i like the idea of having them.

cheers
Old 01 March 2010, 02:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Driving light: Subaru themselves did a set which were PIAA 80xt units, and later changed them to Hella 1000FF units,which were cheaper.

Places like Graham Goode also did Cibies.......but these used an H2 hulb, so suffered from premature bulb failure and difficulty finding uprated bulbs.

Ask/do a search on a few tuning companies, and see if kits are still available. Alternatively, search on here where someone recently posted a template for a bracket to fit PIAAs, get some made up, and get the lights and wiring cheaper yourself.

DO NOT be fooled into fitting foglights as the OE Imprezas had, they are a total waste of money.
Old 02 March 2010, 09:07 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

I got these from my dealer.

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...ml#post8269105

£195. I think they are a WR1 package but works on the classic. I have only gone with the halogens so far and they are a good addition.
Old 02 March 2010, 09:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

They are..once you get them set up, which can be a PITA.

One or two lads on here have then modded them and fitted HID kits, WELL worth doing.
Also, a set of clear acrylic covers is useful, stops stones damaging one.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:20 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

I recommend the PIAA kit, brilliant lights but quite expensive:

Lighting - Impreza 1993-2000 : Subaru Impreza PIAA Driving Lamps

This kit will come with everything you need (lights, wiring kit, relays, brackets etc) to fit the lights to a classic Impreza
Old 03 March 2010, 08:26 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Personally I would avoid the PIAA 80xt's
They look good, give off good light but are really poor build quality.
I replaced mine on my rb5 2 years ago and within 12 months they had let in water and the silver lamp reflector had started to blister. I stripped them and resealed them but it made no difference, half the silver reflector on one lamp has turned into a giant bubble .
I'm looking to replace them with something stronger this time, I'm not shelling out £250 for that rubbish again.
It looks like Hella have stopped making 1000ff's, can anyone reccomend another driving lamp suitable for a classic?

Last edited by mslorach; 03 March 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03 March 2010, 08:51 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

After a search I found theseRallye 3000 Compact Lamp | Auxiliary Lighting | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Car Modifying, Parts and Accessories,Sparco, Arai
Hella Rallye 3000 driving lamps, they are a similar size to the PIAA's and 1000ff's Would these be a straight swap for PIAA's?
Old 03 March 2010, 09:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You'd have to do a side-by-side comparison, or get drawings for both that show height, fixings, protrusion etc.
DO avoid any light that uses an H2 bulb.

I contacted Hella recently and 1000FF lights are still available to order. (Dec last year). try Yell.com, or hella's own UK website for name of local dealer.

BTW: I concur with the comments about PIAA 80xt lights: good performance, crap design. I have read of no end that have had reflector damage caused by water ingress. It seems nothing stops it.
Meanwhile, my 1000FFs have been on the car 9 years and are still pristine......although the original clear covers are a bit the worse for wear.
Old 03 March 2010, 11:13 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

I've got far too much spare time on my hands
Here's a comparison of various driving lamps I made.

The Rallye 3000 compacts would protrude 40mm further out than the PIAA's I think... although the brackets could be modified for a better fit.
My car's off the road at the moment so I'll go and check out if the 3000 compacts could be made to fit as they look quite smart IMO.

Alcazar - What brackets/mounting plates did you use to fit the 1000ff's? Do you have a template for it by any chance?

Last edited by mslorach; 03 March 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03 March 2010, 12:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't have a template, no. Mine are 1000FF HID units, and, as such, have a plastic extension on the rear. The original mounting brackets are removed, the holes sealed, and the plastic extension passes THROUGH the lamp bracket, which is flat, and is held in place by three metal tangs that screw into the extension, and won't allow it to pass back out of the bracket. The lights are held firm and have not had to be adjusted, although they COULD be by fitting washers under bolts.

The halogen version of the 1000FF bracket has a downwards/forwards facing lug, through which the lights OE mounting bracket passes.

Someone on another thread posted a template for a PIAA bracket last week, basically a flat plate with holes. Any of the other three lights shown would fit it, since all three have their mounting brackets able to point directly back from the light. From what I can see.

You would need to have a look behind the foglight recess to check that there would be space behind the new bracket for the lights' mounting nut to do up, once the new brackets were in place. Most require you to fit, try, remove, fit, try, remove etc, hence my assertion it's a PITA. AND it needs done in the dark. Somewhere you can SEE where the lights are pointing.

Best bet at the mo would be to see if anyone still has the 1000FF kits.

If not, look to the others. PIAA would be my last choice, solely due to corrosion issues
Old 03 March 2010, 12:48 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info Alcazar, and sorry to the original poster for hijacking your thread
Old 03 March 2010, 01:45 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the PIAA 80XT's and confirm the corrosion is a pain the behind. For that reason, I'd look for lamps that have a plastic body rather than the metal 80XT's.
I recently replaced my 80XT's with another set in mint condition, but thats because they were a steal at the price I paid and I didn't want to do too much messing around.
The new ones had a slightly different bracket, it was shorter on one side so missed one of the mounting points.

Here's the pic I took, the original bracket I had was on the left:

Old 03 March 2010, 02:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Aye, they wouldn't be hard to make, nor expensive for a machine shop. They are handed, so one is a mirror image, but one could just be turned over.
Old 06 March 2010, 02:28 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mslorach
Personally I would avoid the PIAA 80xt's
They look good, give off good light but are really poor build quality.
I replaced mine on my rb5 2 years ago and within 12 months they had let in water and the silver lamp reflector had started to blister. I stripped them and resealed them but it made no difference, half the silver reflector on one lamp has turned into a giant bubble .
I'm looking to replace them with something stronger this time, I'm not shelling out £250 for that rubbish again.
It looks like Hella have stopped making 1000ff's, can anyone reccomend another driving lamp suitable for a classic?
Originally Posted by andyseston
hi everyone.

i am wondering if anyone does a set of driving lights for a 1999 classic shape impreza.

i am after a full set as i dont have any just the covers and i like the idea of having them.

cheers
Hi - just a quickie - I have a set of FF1000's for sale - see https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...ml#post9267987 - just PM or email me with offers else they will be on eBay tomorrow.

Ids