Notices

no radio signal, when heated rear screen on

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2009, 06:42 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens in my BMW too! I was told it was something to do with the ariel amplifier, but not 100%
Old 01 December 2009, 07:22 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is, same on BMW too.
Old 01 December 2009, 07:33 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a filter located somewhere under the rear shelf - I would think the earth's dodgy or something like that.
Old 01 December 2009, 08:23 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a small can, about 40mm square cross section, maybe 60 or 70mm long, with a tab that bolts it to the chassis.

I know when I did my rear shelf speakers I came across it, but just can't remember whether it hangs underneath and therefore in the boot, or was on top. I know I had to relocate it when mounting my speakers.

I also have a vague recollection that on some models they're mounted behind the C pillar trims.

Only being a vague help here...sorry.
Old 02 December 2009, 10:45 AM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HT04, yours should be under the parcel shelf and will be easy to reach from the boot.
Old 25 December 2009, 08:56 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

dont suppose you have tinted your windows or removed window stickers or tint recently? On my beemer I made this problem happen by trying to remove window tint adhesive with a scraper, thats not the way to do it btw, solvent is... but anyway... On the beemer the radio aerial and the heated rear screen were layered one on top of the other, in other words there is glass, heater element, insulator, radio aerial, then a top coating of black paint. As i scraped the inside i must have scratched & bridged the insulator between the aerial and the heater elements so the power for the heater was passing into the aerial. The solution is a new screen, if you have glass cover on insurance then if it accidentally got broken then you could get it fixed for the price of the excess. Not sure if this is the same for the later impreza's but sounds similar.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:29 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Customer complaint of radio static when the radio and rear window defogger are on at the same time, there is the possibility of a break in one or more of the defogger grids. When the grid is broken, a high resistance field is created at the break point which can create static on some radio stations. The level of resistance is usually high enough to create a field of interference which projects out from the glass. The break can be detected visually or by using a portable radio.
Using a portable radio, set the radio to the same frequency and station being disturbed by static. From the outside of the vehicle, slowly move the radio’s antenna across the defogger grids. When interference is encountered, inspect that specific area closely for a break. Depending upon the size of the break, a magnifying glass and/or eyeloupe may be required.
Once the break is identified, it should be repaired using the Permatex® repair kit instead of replacing the rear glass. Note: Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions
and precautions that are included with the Permatex® repair kit.
Permatex® Quick Grid™ Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit, part # 15067, used for repairing damaged rear window defogger grids, is available at local automotive parts stores.
Old 09 January 2010, 08:32 AM
dannyboygti
Scooby Regular

i hace the same problem on my scooby and my astra dam things