Notices

Brighter/Whiter Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 07:17 PM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter/Whiter Bulbs

Hi, I have a 2001 WRX Bug Eye which has had the Morette Twin Headlight Conversion done, see here:

My Scooby

I want to replace the bulbs with brighter/whiter ones, can anyone confirm what bulbs I need and that they will be ok with the conversion kit?

Thanks
Old 17 January 2008, 07:38 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i think morrettes are h7 bulbs. these are supposed to be good
PHILIPS X-TREME POWER H7 +80% MORE XTREME XENON BULBS on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-Jan-08 19:33:01 GMT)

i have ordered some of these for mine

Osram Night Breaker H7 Headlight Bulbs on eBay, also Head Lamps, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Jan-08 08:37:00 GMT)
Old 17 January 2008, 08:06 PM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the good info, I presume these are just for main beam? what about for dips and full beam, does it use 3 seperate bulbs, or a twin for main and dips, with a seperate for full beam?
Old 17 January 2008, 11:39 PM
dohc_turbo
Scooby Regular

try revolution i got my piaa spark blue h4 there.
they a really white light.
also got piaa white parkers.
theyl tell exactly what u need
Old 17 January 2008, 11:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapster-UK
Thanks for the good info, I presume these are just for main beam? what about for dips and full beam, does it use 3 seperate bulbs, or a twin for main and dips, with a seperate for full beam?
One for dip, one for mainbeam, two in total. IIRC they are H7 and H1, but don't quote me, I have a classic.

Have a look at Halfords, the ones in Gold boxes, 50% uprated, made by GE, of Megalights fame, and BOGOF.

Alcazar
Old 18 January 2008, 07:49 AM
moto
Scooby Regular

H7 in headlamp
H1 in main beam
hope that helps
Old 18 January 2008, 08:32 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

So what is the bulb i need for the headlight on my blob then (not main beam)just ordinary headlight H1 or H7?
Old 18 January 2008, 03:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by moto
H7 in headlamp
H1 in main beam
hope that helps
H7 it is, then.

Alcazar
Old 18 January 2008, 05:39 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Great so ive ordered the wrong bulbs then.Someone on another thread says one thing someone else says the opposite

Still at least i will have a spare set of main beam bulbs now but will still have a headlight out till the correct ones turn up
Old 18 January 2008, 07:56 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
So what is the bulb i need for the headlight on my blob then (not main beam)just ordinary headlight H1 or H7?
on a blob dipped is h1
main is hb3/9005
Old 18 January 2008, 07:57 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Great so ive ordered the wrong bulbs then.Someone on another thread says one thing someone else says the opposite

Still at least i will have a spare set of main beam bulbs now but will still have a headlight out till the correct ones turn up

what bulbs you ordered then?
Old 18 January 2008, 09:18 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> on a blob dipped is h1
> main is hb3/9005

On standard headlights it is but the original poster has morettes. What type of headlights do you have Scooby-tc?

Last edited by Chelspeed; 18 January 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:15 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Standard Blobeye headlights.Its only the dipped beam that has blown i was told they were H1 so i ordered a new pair the other day which i now have then someone else said they were H7 so i have ordered some of those tonight.
Old 19 January 2008, 10:53 AM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys, It's looking like H1 and H7 but is this what the standard fitted lights use and will they be ok in the Morettes cluster? I notice the Morettes come with bulbs, and was wondering if anyone knows what type these are? (The conversion was done on the car before I brought it)

Also, I count 3 bulbs, side, dip and main. It's stopped raining so I popped outside to take a quick look, the main light section contains the main bulb in the centre and the side light bulb of centre towards the out side. The other light section holds a sinle bulb with a large misty looking lense? I'm presuming the H1 and H7 bulbs are for the 2 bulbs in the centre of each section, but what about the off centre bulb for side lights? It would look a bit naff if this wasn't xenon as well, do they supply xenon bulbs for this or possibly an LED bulb to match the white light of the other 2 bulbs.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble, hope it makes sense I guess I'm just being lazy and could go and take out the bulbs to have a look, but thought I'd try here first

Last edited by Rapster-UK; 19 January 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 19 January 2008, 05:54 PM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Well I got some new bulbs, H1, H7 and some new little sidelight bulbs to match, trouble is, I can't get to the bulbs!!! I managed to get to the low and high beam bulbs on the drivers side but not the side light, there's no room to get your hand to it to remove the bulb. Similar on the passenger side, I took the battery holder bracket off, but couldn't get enough purchase on the connectors of the low beam bulb, it was on so tight, the whole inside of the unit was moving so I stopped. I reckon the only way ot get to the sidelight bulbs and the rest is to remove the Morette headlight units, replace the bulbs and put the unit back in, anyone got directions for this?
Old 19 January 2008, 08:57 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapster-UK
Well I got some new bulbs, H1, H7 and some new little sidelight bulbs to match, trouble is, I can't get to the bulbs!!! I managed to get to the low and high beam bulbs on the drivers side but not the side light, there's no room to get your hand to it to remove the bulb. Similar on the passenger side, I took the battery holder bracket off, but couldn't get enough purchase on the connectors of the low beam bulb, it was on so tight, the whole inside of the unit was moving so I stopped. I reckon the only way ot get to the sidelight bulbs and the rest is to remove the Morette headlight units, replace the bulbs and put the unit back in, anyone got directions for this?
it would not surprise me if the lamps need removing to change em.
on my blobeye they have to come out to change the £0.50 bulbs,nice of the japs to design them like that
Old 20 January 2008, 02:55 AM
moto
Scooby Regular

The bulbs I listed are for the Morrete conversion you have, so you've got the right ones.
You will have to remove your Morretes to change all the bulbs. Why not get some silvatechs or similar (Halfords do clear indicator lamps with a blue tinge) for your indicators at the same time? It looks better. You can just about see here.

Remove the radiator grill and you'll see 2 10mm bolts. Remove these and the 8mm bolt on the top of the unit towards the wing. The headlight will now pull out and undo the connectors.
Old 20 January 2008, 09:47 AM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info and the pic, much appreciated. That's the conclusion I had come too... Just one last question, how does the rad grill come of, I think I read somewhere it was clips, so should I just pull it forwards? I don't want to break anything!
Old 20 January 2008, 10:48 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There's two (or four?) big round clips from the top which hold the side bits between the grille and the headlights in place. These may have been replaced when the morettes were fitted. But if they are in place you prise up the centre bit with a small screwdriver and it comes out completely, the whole clip is then free to be removed.

The grille is then held by a series of square clips back onto the front of the car. These are freed off by lifting (or depressing forget which) the square section centre prong with a small screwdriver. When the centre bits lifted the grille is free to pull off. Just grip the grille and pull forwards a little, lift the centre bit and it comes free. Move along the grille a clip at a time until it's all free.

Scooby-tc - whay do you think you've got the wrong bulbs? H1 is right for dip on standard headlights. H7 will be for morettes which this post is about.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:14 PM
Rapster-UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help guys, I've managed to change the bulbs now by doing the following:

1.Remove the grill
2.Remove the front section of the air intake
3.Loosen the battery holder and move out the way
4.Remove the bolts holding the headlights in place

After all this I could slide the headlight units out and get to the back to change the bulbs, while I was there I changed the sidelights too, don't want to be going through all that again anytime soon

So to summarize, you need to do the above to change bulbs in the Morettes and the bulbs you need are:

H1 = High/Full Beam
H7 = Main/Low Beam
501 = Sidelights/Parking Light

Cheers
Nigel
Old 03 February 2008, 08:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Next time try HID H7 kit as they are so much better !
BOB'5 supplied mine !

DunxC
Old 03 February 2008, 08:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

But of course Dunc, we don't want to be encouraging people to break the law now do we, unless BOB5's HID's come with self leveling, washers and Euro adjustment ?