Notices

Crap headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 03:32 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

They may be the same rating, but you have to try them before making such a sweeping statement! The difference is noticeable, but then again you were the man who drives in the dark, without his main beams on!!!

I don't want to say I told you so, but wait until you have to change your bulbs again and the wiring has welded itself to the bulb!

[Edited by Andy Tang - 11/1/2001 3:33:51 PM]
Old 12 October 2001, 07:31 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Angry

The scoob has to have some of the worst headlights in any car I've owned.

Have seen uprated bulbs advertised - eg Plasma Blue (~£60 pr.) and PIAA Super White (~£45 pr.)

Has anyone tried these or any others, and do they make much difference? Or do I just need to get the Morette 2 headlight conversion (which I quite like anyway)

Cheers

Dave
MY00
Old 13 October 2001, 10:45 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Dave, you're right. But before spending mega-dosh, try up-rated bulbs.

I spent a ridiculous sum on some fancy PIIAs but they are prone to blowing. So I picked up a twin-pack of 100/80w bulbs in Halfords for under a £enner this time last year.

Brilliant! I might not have the best headlights in the world, but they are now at least 'acceptable'. You'll need some blue-tinted side-lights as the standard ones look decidedly yellow in comparison.

Okay, now the usual 'at your own risk' warnings. Anything over 60w is technically illegal. Some say the higher wattage overloads the wiring, and the heat can melt the plastic reflectors. To which I would say that I, and others, have had no problems for over a year now. Dealer said don't worry about the wiring/reflectors, adding that imports come with these bulbs fitted as standard (dunno if that's a fact).

Richard.

Old 13 October 2001, 06:20 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Totally agree with Hoppy. I've had 90/130 watt bulbs in an MY00 for 1½ years without any problems.
When I sold it I took them out and put them in my Evo, because they have just the same lights (crap).
Steve
Old 14 October 2001, 08:54 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hear, hear me says too.

PIAAs are good but very fragile (I got through 4 sets in less than a year!!)

Now running some Halfords jobs (100/55 I think) - less than a tenner and into their 10th month of usage.

Cheers
Kav
Old 14 October 2001, 10:16 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Don't bother with a driving lamp kit, unless you do a lot of driving on country lanes! They only come on with full beam, so when you switch them off, you still only have the crap standard headlights!

I tried PIAA bulbs, Phillips Blue bulbs, Halfords Xenon, Halford All weather, on my MY99 UK car and the only ones that made a noticeable difference were the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs. You can get them cheap from: http://www.powerbulbs.com

The Vision Plus bulbs were a great improvement, but I then switched to the Morettes on my car. The high beam was good enough for me to sell my driving lamps, not as far but I was spending less time driving on country roads.

So after trying all thoses bulbs, two different driving lamp kits, I now have a Morette kit and standard fog lights on my car!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 15 October 2001, 10:17 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm with andy on this one - Phillips Vision plus made a huge difference to the light my MY99 put out. Before when driving round town the orange street lighting was brighter than my lights, not any more Not sure how the pre-facelift cars (headlight wise) fair, but they were certainly a good buy. 20 quid plus VAT from ScoobySport or as Andy said, powerbulbs.

Cheers
NEil
Old 15 October 2001, 10:35 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I also have Philips Vision Plus and find them generally excellent. However (and I suspect this is a problem with all bluer-tinged bulbs) the light seems to be easily absorbed by rain and other moisture in the air, so the performance is pretty poor in the rain. I might get some of those horrid yellow 'all-weather' bulbs for winter use.
Old 15 October 2001, 07:21 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Right, after a bit if basic maths, the standard bulbs draw 5A on main beam. 100/80W draw 8.3A on main beam. There's a separate 15A fuse for each headlight, so I'm assuming that the wiring is ok to 15A.

So...at lunchtime I bought a pair of 100/80W bulbs from Halfords (£11.99 the pair) and fitted them tonight. What a difference!! Just hope my reflectors don't go and melt! Oh well, may force me to get the Morettes in the end anyway.

Trouble is the sidelights now look really yellow compared to the headlights - may need to get those blue bulbs.

Dave
Old 15 October 2001, 09:08 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Dave,

It depends on whether you have a UK/Euro or Japanese car!

My previous car a MY97 UK car ran high wattage bulbs, and the connectors welded themselves on to the bulbs!! A friend has had the same with his UK car as well!

Apparently the Japanese cars can cope with them ok, but I can't remember where I heard this!

Just a warning!
Andy

PS - The blue sidelight bulbs to help the 'look' of the car!! I have those as well as silver indicator bulbs!! But then I am a tart!!
Old 15 October 2001, 09:50 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

I went through the same steps as Andy. Put Morrettes on the car (00MY) yesterday after 4 years of night driving hell (97 MY before)!!!!

If I may hijack slightly, any of you with the Morrettes have any alignment tips?

The bottom wing nut and bottom screw are hidden when on the car!!!!

So is it - lights off adjust, lights on - check and repeat until going mad?

Cheers!

PS Had the same thoughts re the driving lights - You can only use them when there is no one in front for MILES both ways!! Best to sort the headlights!
Old 16 October 2001, 10:03 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy - are the Vision Plus bulbs UK road legal?
Old 16 October 2001, 10:35 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Mungo,

Vision Plus are totally road legal

Cheers
Neil

P.S - I'm getting like andy !!!!! lol, I've got the silver indicators and upgraded "white" sidelights too!!
Old 16 October 2001, 02:03 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Neil,

If it reasures you, you are only scratching the tip of the iceberg!!! You're not even close!!!

Andy

Ps - Although I'd start to worry if you were becoming Chinese!!
Old 16 October 2001, 03:52 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Any set-up tips? (Ref my post above!)
Old 16 October 2001, 04:08 PM
ChrisB

I've put the Vision Plus into my Morettes after speaking to the good Mr Tang.

Certainly an improvement over whatever was previously fitted (I brought the car with the Morettes on). Good value and excellent service from http://www.powerbulbs.com - recommended.

I'd still get some driving lamps if I found some on the cheap. Alternatively, I'm considering HIDs for the full beam part of the Morettes.

ChrisB.
Old 16 October 2001, 04:46 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

lol andy!! maybe if I eat enough take aways
Old 16 October 2001, 07:26 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Hoppy / Rosco

Andy's got me worrying now - have you tried to separate the connector from the bulb since you uprated them. Could just say sod it and cut connector off when bulbs blow, and solder on new connectors, but it's a bit of a hassle (and it's bound to be raining and winter when it needs doing!!)

Dave

(just had first decent drive at night - I can now see where I'm going!)
Old 16 October 2001, 11:20 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried either 80/100 or the 90/130 bulbs in a MY98? I quite fancy trying the 90/130 .. but don't fancy any meltling going on.
Old 17 October 2001, 01:03 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Dave, sorry m8, forgot to say...

Yes, earlier threads mentioned that the extra heat etc could make the connectors sticky after a while, so when I fitted them I put a tiny smear of grease on the connector blades of each bulb (and I mean a TINY smear!) assuming this would help if it was corrosion or something like that. I may be completely wrong, but that's what I did.

Out of curiosity, I just popped into the garage to see if they'd got stuck and no probs at all

I would just add that I don't do many long journeys, nor do I sit for ages in traffic with the lights blazing, so not much chance of heat build up for me. And of course, if you go for the greasy trick, be soopa-doopa careful about not getting any on the glass.

Richard.

Edited to add that I quite fancy having a go with the 90/130 bulbs now. If I do, I'll do some checks with a light meter and see just how much more light you get with 60/100/130w main beams.

Can anyone confirm if imports have 100w bulbs as standard?

[Edited by Hoppy - 10/17/2001 1:09:00 AM]
Old 18 October 2001, 10:48 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I today fitted the Halfords 100/80 bulbs with the laser blue side bulbs, I CAN SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think I'll need to use the spots that much any more, but hey they're there right!
Old 19 October 2001, 12:50 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Ok, so 80/100 are good... and don't melt the lights.. anyone been brave enough to try the 90/130's?
Old 20 October 2001, 05:09 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just fitted the 80/100 watt bulbs as well - this difference is massive!!!!! Well worth it. Before driving at night always felt a bit hit and miss, now I can see where I'm going!! Laser blue sidelights look good too.

Richard
Old 25 October 2001, 02:26 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Just read this thread with interest. I bought some Blue Ice bulbs, and one has just blown after just 9 months, so I think I will upgrade to these Philips ones.

Also interested in the sidelights. Does anyone know which sidelights a MY00 has? Is it a W5W, T4W or H6W? I haven't a clue??

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 25 October 2001, 03:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jamie,

The MY00 and older, use W5W bulbs.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 25 October 2001, 04:45 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Thanks for that..much appreciated.

Powerbulbs.com have another order on their way..

You should put it for the commission!!

Jamie
Old 25 October 2001, 07:55 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

My 2p worth !! Main driving on back Suffolk roads - been using PIAA super whites EWC1 (Euro legal - unlike some of the above bulbs !!)for about 18months. Good light (make sides look yellow). Think they are equivalent to about 100W mains.
Check out PIAA site for accurate info www.piaa.co.uk
Stan

[Edited by StanS - 10/25/2001 7:58:11 PM]
Old 25 October 2001, 08:26 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Been using PIAA superwhites ( headlights and sidelights ) a vast improvement on the standard candles and they look good as well.
However I am on my second set of headlights in just over 12 months and good as they are they are expensive.
So I was looking for some cheaper alternatives.
Thanks to this thread I ordered some vision plus from power bulbs, which arrived today. ( less than half the price of PIAAs )

Jon
Old 26 October 2001, 10:05 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Yep, me too, I ordered vision plus yesterday afternoon and some of the blue something sidelights also from Powerbulbs.

Mine haven't turned up yet and as we are going away tonight, I am not going to see them before Sunday!!

So, if anyone sees a Red Scooby on the M40 tonight in their rear view mirror with one Bluey light, one yellowy light and 2 crap sidelights...that'll be me!!

Jamie
Old 26 October 2001, 11:59 AM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

Reading this with much interest has now prompted me to want better lighting myself (loads of cross-country driving). I have the Morette's on my MY01 and would like to uprate the bulbs to (probably) the Phillips Vision Plus. Does anyone know the part numbers for these lights (both main and main/dip) so I can order them from Powerbulbs.

Cheers
Paul

Quick Reply: Crap headlights