Notices

Dodgy rear wiper???

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2001, 06:46 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My rear wiper works but won't switch off.

When the switch on the stalk is set to 'off', the rear wiper carries on regardless, but stops after a few minutes.

Washing/wiping works fine which makes me think that it's not the switch itself.

Also if you turn off the ignition with the wiper going (but switched off) and then turn ignition back on the wiper parks itself OK and stays stopped.

Driving me mad. Any clues?

(MY00)
Old 27 August 2001, 10:33 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i take it it is a 5dr so wehn you lift the tailgateyou will see a rubber boot in the top right hand corner near the hinges pull it out of the tailgate and the the roof and check all the wires in it they do tend to break usally right in the middle of the boot so can be a bit of a pain but rejoin any broken ones to their corresponding colours and it should sort it. i think theres a green one which usally snaps along with a black and blue with red trace.
Old 27 August 2001, 09:13 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks Scoobyboy, will take a look....
Old 28 August 2001, 10:24 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

NBW,

Had a problem with the wiper in my 94 WRX (5 door) - turned out to be a relay just below the driver's side rear light cluster (had to remove bits of trim to get to it). It was a 5-pin one (switches power from 'wipe' circuit to 'park'). Of course just to make sure it wasn't that simple, it had a pin layout unlike any I have seen before, so I had to make a short set of leads to allow me to use a standard 5-pin relay. If this seems to be the problem and you aren't sure how to wire it, let me know and I'll check how I did it (but it will mean taking off bits of trim, so will have to wait till weekend).

Neil.
Old 29 August 2001, 05:47 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Neil, I'll check that out.

Old 01 September 2001, 06:05 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Question

I can see the relay, but how does the trim come off, it goes all around the wheel arch?
Old 01 September 2001, 08:18 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NBW:
<B>I can see the relay, but how does the trim come off, it goes all around the wheel arch?[/quote]

That depends... is it a UK car or import (yes the trim in the boot is different!) I have no idea about the UK one, but on an import...

Remove the little tray between speaker and rear of car (2 x 10mm bolts). Remove screws or push in fixings that you can now see(2 or 3 - can't remember). Remove screws by speaker grille (it may help to remove that as well). Remove push in fixing around boot opening. Then either work it out from behind the trim across the bottom of boot opening, or remove that as well (4 push in fixings on top and 1 or 2 screw on type things in spare wheel well).

By now you should be able to pull it away enough to get to the relay.

Really good place to put it eh?

If you need more help, give me a call and I'll try to help. Of course if yours is a UK one... I have no idea (sorry).

Neil
07860 153715

Old 03 September 2001, 06:50 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

It is a UK.... and doesn't sound like that at all, thanks anyway!!!
Old 04 September 2001, 03:43 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NBW:
<B>It is a UK.... and doesn't sound like that at all, thanks anyway!!![/quote]

Oh well over to someone with a UK...

It really threw me to find that the trim was so different - especially after I got a boot liner and dog guard from a UK, neither of which fit! (not in the market for either are you?!)

When you do get to the relay, I would be interested to know if it is a 'normal UK' type 5 pin or still the funny jap one.

If I can be of any more help once you get there, let me know.

Neil.