I've turned my Impreza into a Volvo!

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2000, 09:36 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Need a little advice here please.

At the weekend I fitted a boost gauge, this involved the tube from the engine bay and the wires for the back light. All appeared well. I test that the boost gauge lights up when I turn the sidelights on and all is well - result!

However, come the night and I start using the lights and driving the car, that's when I notice that I can no longer turn the side lights off! When I turn the side lights on/off the interior lights up fine, as does the boost gauge but the side lights are on all the time, even when I turn the ignition off and remove the keys. I tried disconnecting the boost gauge but the problem remains. In the end I had to remove the fuse to the sidelights.

I assume the problem arose due to the fact that I wired the boost gauge up to the car stereo's earth and the car stereo's supply that illuminates the stereo when the side lights/dash lights are turned on. I thought this would be the easiest way to wire it up...hmmm.

Anyway I would guess I have damaged a relay somewhere, any advice gratefully received.
Old 18 December 2000, 10:01 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Worth checking.... but have you switched on your parking lights??

The switch is on top of the steering wheel column.

You might have knocked it on accidently when installing the boost gauge!!

Hope it's as simple as that.

Cheers
Andy
Old 18 December 2000, 10:08 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

The car is negatively switched.

What you thought was a 12V feed is actually the return from the light going to the switch.

Simply put... the battery goes to the bulb...the bulb to the switch.. the switch to ground.

So basically you have bypassed the sidelight switch with your boost gauge.

Which means all the current is going through you boost gauge bulb and not the switch and the sidelights stay on.

Common mistake.

J.
Old 18 December 2000, 10:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Where did you take the illumination feed from??

I think the common places are the stereo, or the fog light illumination wires. These are fairly straight forward, and hopefully not cause the problem you have described.

Andy
Old 18 December 2000, 10:13 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy T.

Thanks for that mate, I may have a red face tonight when I check this but I am hoping you are right, I completely forgot about that switch on the steering column (as you do when you stress yourself out over these trivial matters) and that is where I have been working with the boost gauge (the A-pillar).

I just spoken to another guy who apparently heard of a Subaru owner who had the same problem after washing his car, apparently water go into the engine bay and his sidelights remained permanently on. Coincidentally I too jetwashed my car and after which the problem started so I was thinking it maybe this. I will check the parking light switch tonight and if this is turned off (I'm hoping it isn't!) then I will take the car to Subaru and tell them the problem occurred after the car was washed.
Old 18 December 2000, 10:22 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

I took the live feed and earth from the stereo (Brown Wire - Earth, Orange Wire - Feed when sidelight switch turned on).
After doing so all appeared fine like I say, on turning sidelight switch on the dash, stereo and side lights all illuminated as expected. Upon turning the side light switch off the dash, stereo and sidelights all went off as expected.
The problem started after I jet washed the car and returned home. So I may have knocked the park light switch on accidentally (embarrassing but I am now hoping it's this), I have damaged a relay or something on wiring the gauge up, or jet washing the car has introduced the problem.
Old 19 December 2000, 10:08 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy,

Any news on what it was??

Andy
Old 19 December 2000, 11:41 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy T,

Good news, if rather embarassing. It was the parking light switch on the steering column.

I must have knocked it when fitting the guage and 'panicked' a little when the lights were on all the time. So thanks for the slap round the face and reminding me to check the obvious...I'll get me coat know.

[This message has been edited by Andy-D (edited 19 December 2000).]
Old 19 December 2000, 01:06 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good job it was a cheap fix!!!

I find I never use the parking lights, unless I'm cleaning the car!!! I learnt my lesson, I just I thought I'd teach someone else!!!!
Old 10 April 2001, 06:40 PM
David Cullen
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just thought I'd post to show what a great resource this bbs is.
Got home this evening after the wife had taken the Scoob to be cleaned to notice the side lights on even with the keys out... (you know what's coming!)
Checked a few things - thought I know... I'll check the bbs to see if anyone else has had this problem.
5 minutes later and the problems sorted - yep it was the parkig light switch - had the car four years and still forget its there!
Thanks
Old 10 April 2001, 08:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

David,

Glad to be of help, even 4 months later!!

Andy
Old 12 April 2001, 10:32 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

The most common cause of flat batteries in Imprezas...