H/lamps and alternating relays

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2001, 09:36 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi guys

Am looking for a clever leccy bod who can give me advice on installing an alternating relay to the headlamps of a MY99 (UK).
A mate of mine asked me to fit one to allow the h/lamps to flash alternately on a previous Mondeo and I had real grief in doing so, ending up using diodes etc to stop feedback going to the lamps and allow them to work as intended.
Because of the above, the wiring on that car became a dogs dinner until I got it right, but this time I'd like the experts to help me before butchering the wiring.
I have a copy of the relevant headlamp wiring for the cars' particular year, so can someone please volunteer their knowledge and help me out.

Cheers

Old 28 January 2001, 12:25 AM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alan

You want the 620-101 relay unit from Premier Hazard (phone 01132391111). Been using them for years and never had a unit fail on us (unlike many units we have treid)

Come with full instruction, very easy to fit.

Andy H
Old 28 January 2001, 11:38 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

You could try bying a kit to do the job from some one like Woodway engineering or Premier Hazard or Whelen they supply the likes of the police,fire and rescue services.

Should cost about £20.00 and they are easy to fit

we get a lot of our kit from Woodways or Safety league (the chepest out of the lot)in the US
Old 28 January 2001, 07:33 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

The unit used is a Premier Hazard 620-??? relay, basically one +ve , one -ve and 2 +ve outputs.

Andy,
When you say they come with full instructions, do they give info on particular vehicles or is it just the basics?

Old 28 January 2001, 07:38 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Andy or Huxley

Do either or both of you install these type of things?
If so would it be okay to correspond via E-mail so that I wire it up correctly?
Many thanks again and interesting sites you suggested Huxley

[This message has been edited by AlanG (edited 28 January 2001).]
Old 28 January 2001, 10:44 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have only installed Whelen Equipment on vehicles that we haved used eg Edge 9000 series light bars and remote strobes like hide away and mini maxbeam you should have no problem fitting them yourself with a little basic know how.

I am just rebuilding a Whelen light bar for the Scoob at the moment the orignal bar is a bit to long and looks like the letter T
we are also going to have two strobes mounted inside the boot lid for use when the boot is up and two in the front headlights and the light bar on the roof not a permanent feature but when we need it

Huxley

you can email me if you want to
Old 29 January 2001, 08:55 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AlanG:
<B>Hi guys

Am looking for a clever leccy bod who can give me advice on installing an alternating relay to the headlamps of a MY99 (UK).
A mate of mine asked me to fit one to allow the h/lamps to flash alternately on a previous Mondeo and I had real grief in doing so, ending up using diodes etc to stop feedback going to the lamps and allow them to work as intended.
Because of the above, the wiring on that car became a dogs dinner until I got it right, but this time I'd like the experts to help me before butchering the wiring.
I have a copy of the relevant headlamp wiring for the cars' particular year, so can someone please volunteer their knowledge and help me out.

Cheers

[/quote]

Call me a nosy ba5tard - but why do you want to do this??????????

Old 30 January 2001, 08:47 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Hiya nosey ba55tard

I fitted the relay to the customers previous chase cars and he wants it fitted to a Scoob he has just bought to replace his existing car.

When I wired up the relay to the Mondeo I got feedback from the headlamp which was not flashing and the only cure at the time was to connect in diodes to stop this feedback.

I have temporarily connected the relay to his Scoob, +ve and -ve to battery and a feed to either headlamp. I connected them to the dip beam circuit first and both lamps flash alernately but instead of extinguishing completely before flashing again, it dims to a "dim/dip" type of beam.
When I connected the relay to the main beam circuit, both lamps flashed alternately okay and extinguished okay but the brightness of the lamps were only to "dim/dip" brightness, so i'm doing something wrong somewhere, so can anyone shed any light on the matter.
Oooohhhhhh!!!!!!! Sorry 'bout that!

Cheers guys
Old 30 January 2001, 09:27 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alan,

If you get stuck email me and i will get my brother to answer you, he fits them all the time and has recently fitted some to Mondeo's.

Andy H
Old 30 January 2001, 09:53 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanx Andy

Will do.