Notices

Front side light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2000, 09:55 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

After fitting Xenon main beam bulbs, my side lights look decidedly dull. Does anyone know what the best/max rating for the side lights is?

Thanks
Old 27 September 2000, 06:14 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nimbus ...

Give Dave or Pete a call at Beechdale Subaru in Derby, I got a PIAA pack which contained bothe superwhite h/lamp bulbs and brighter s/lamp bulbs ....

01332 372555 is the number EC1W is the combined pack but I'm sure they sell 'em seperate ..

K
Old 28 September 2000, 02:32 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kev,

I gave them a call and there are looking into it. The don't normally sell them separatly.

How much better or the PIAA lights? The guy said they are 100w equivalent and have a brighter light but run cooler. Any good?

Cheers
Old 28 September 2000, 08:33 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Nimbus ...

South Leic ??

Whereabouts, I live in Atherstone we could meet-up and I could show you !! before you part with your cash !!

mail me k.freegard@btinternet.com and we'll arange a meet in the dark

K
Old 28 September 2000, 09:09 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Hi

I bought some PIAA side light bulbs from Demon Tweeks but they have a grey/ Blue shade rather than pure white are they the same?

Cheers

Saj
Old 29 September 2000, 01:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Kev,

Mailed you yesterday, but will not get my own e-mail till tonight. Let me know if you want to meet.

Cheers
Old 01 October 2000, 12:13 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

PIAA do the super white h/l bulbs - around £46 pair from Demon Tweeks, Graham Goode etc - or as mentioned above they do them as a kit with a sidelamp bulbs as well.

Xenon gives a brighter light - allegedly 30% or more extra - PIAA claim they draw 60w on main beam but give equivalent light to 100w.

Fitted them to both our MY00 cars and they appear to work well - but before I did much driving on the originals.
Particularly work well with the PIAA driving lamp conversion.

Cheaper equivalent bulbs - Osram, Halfords etc are available.

Check the archives as there have been many previous posts on this subject.

Also check on
Old 01 October 2000, 12:11 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Whats this about Xenon main head lights and side lights for the impreza? I want to know all about them,specially how much ,how powerful and who makes them?
Regards
Kevo
Old 01 October 2000, 09:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got the PIAA Superwhite headlamps - miles better than the standard bulbs and well worth the money IMHO. Been running them for about 4 months with no problems. I also changed the side lights to the PIAA Superwhites (really for the looks, as the old yellow ones looked a bit sad alongside the new headlamps). These cost around £8 a pair, but as has already been mentioned, you can now buy the whole lot as a single kit.

Chris
Old 01 October 2000, 10:28 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Hey Chris
Did you get the PIAA Super white or the platinum super white?What is the exact part number of the lights and did you get the side lights as well. I want to get them for my MY00 but need more specific info,incidentally what wattage are they? and will the standard wiring be up to the job
Regards
Kevo
Old 02 October 2000, 02:38 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Kevin

Yes I do have the Superwhite headlamp bulbs and side lights. The PIAA reference for the complete kit is EWC 1W and consists of a pair of H4 60/55W headlamps (giving 110/100W) and a pair capless side lamp bulbs (drawing 5W but giving out 10W).

All are 'E' marked and street legal. I haven't had a problem with the standard wiring. Good quality kit, but not cheap.

Chris
Old 04 October 2000, 10:42 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Everone agrees that the standard lamps are feeble; the debate is how to make them better.

Personally, I think the twin-headlight conversion is best, but pricey at about £300 plus the hassle of fitting and painting etc. For the same sort of money you can convert the fogs to very powerful headlights (130w each, I think), but they are set so low on the car that they cast deep shadows on country roads and when you flick to dip it's like switching off the sun!

So... I opted for the PIAA SuperWhites, incredibly expesnive at £45 per bulb, as a cheap(er!) and easy fix and have been extremely pleased (for about six months now). They draw more current than the standard bulbs but not that much and my dealer advised that the standard wiring would cope fine. The extra light produced is also down to the design of the things which focuses the light more efficiently. There's some theoretical debate about how they cannot be as good as they're claimed (anyone know the web link?) but the fact is that they're not just a little bit better than standard, they're a massive improvement. You don't need a light meter to measure it - just look!

Problem is, they make the side lights look like candles! So thanks to this thread I've just got some matching PIAA side bulbs. Fitted them a few minutes ago, and they're much brighter and whiter. Great.

Got mine from the excellent Graham Goode Performance Centre. Ordered them over the phone just yesterday and the docket says part no H91, PR 501 SuperWhite bulbs PIAA 5W=10w, £8.50 the pair, £1.25 recorded delivery, £1.49 VAT, total £11.24. Call them on 0116 244 0140.

Hoppy
Old 05 October 2000, 12:27 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Nimbus, the side light bulbs are as easy to fit as it looks in the manual. Ten minutes? It's the headlight bulbs that are a bit of a fiddle.

Hoppy
Old 05 October 2000, 09:55 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I've not fitted my new PIAA side lights yet. By the time I get home, it's getting too dark to see!!

Hoppy

How easy was it for you to fit the side lights? Looks pretty easy in the manual, but not tried it yet.

I got mine from The Derby Garage at the top of this tread. Same bulbs, some price, but the sent them by post free of charge. Top blokes!!!

Kev

You still on for tomorrow? Know it was only provisional, but if you still fancy meeting, e-mail me.

Cheers