Notices

"I can see clearly now the PIAA are on"...

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2000, 10:26 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Finally got round to having PIAAs fitted, and all I can say is WOW, and damned summer with lighter evenings!!
Old 02 May 2000, 12:37 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Driving lights are great... but... don't you find that you end up having to brake to lose speed whenever you dip for oncoming traffic.
Old 02 May 2000, 01:17 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Like walking from a bright sunny day into a dark room!! - worth it though
Old 02 May 2000, 11:41 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Glad you finally got round to it Gary!

I'd be interested to see if you have to carry a supply of 130W bulbs around with you ... methinks not!

As for having to slow down when there's oncoming traffic ... sure! But you can go a heck of a lot faster the rest of the time!

Hmm ... how about a night-time NW meeting ... Hehe!

Andrew.

BTW ... how'd the track day go?
Old 03 May 2000, 05:06 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Was worth the wait - had I known the benefit these would bring, would have just opted for PIAAs 6 months ago!!

Definite idea for a 'small' nightime meet - although probably best to wait until the darker evenings - unless you want to do a real 'RAC rally from the 80s' midnight start!!

Had to cancel my place on track day at last minute has I put my back out over the weekend, so driving comfort was limited to 15 minutes max on Saturday & Sunday!!

There'll be others!
Old 03 May 2000, 01:18 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Talking

getting too old for it mate . . . .

very, very envious of PIAAs

still soon be Fathers' Day huh?

Paul

(no red-kneck suitable smilie for North Carolina)
Old 03 May 2000, 01:27 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Gary ..

Great lamps, had mine done about 3 months ago and certainly don't regret it one bit, recomend them to anyone. Which lenses did you go for ? The pencil beam (off-road only !) are brilliant, clear to match the newer headlamps and I think they make the front look much better.

K

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited 03-05-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2000, 02:02 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Paul - the day I get grey hair.....

Kev - no idea?? whatever the dealer fitted them with! - didn't know there were different lenses for PIAA! What's the difference?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 03-05-2000).]
Old 03 May 2000, 02:21 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary ..

They do different lenses the same as any other lamp company, they do the dreaded fog, a driving lamp and pencil beam lens. I've got it all on my site take a peek
Old 03 May 2000, 05:22 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Cheers Kev - never knew there was different lenses available for PIAA lights. I must have the standard 'Driving lights' lense - have you ever had 'experience' of the pencil lenses? - much different to DL? Also have you upgraded the bulbs in the driving lights? - was told the PIAA 130W fitted as standard are £25 each - hopefully they won't blow, but if they do, are 130W easily available?

Good site though! - thanks for the info!
Old 03 May 2000, 10:06 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Guys,
Any idea of best prices for a set of PIAA's?
I seem to remember a posting a while back of a Subaru dealer selling them for around £250.
Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by ChrisG (edited 03-05-2000).]
Old 04 May 2000, 08:21 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Mine were at a 'special' price

Dealers can supply at £280+VAT+fitting (normally two hours at £40+VAT/HR) = £423 fitted.

GGR supply PIAA kits at £250 incl VAT - although you will also need two £10 brackets. Either self fit, or pay a auto-electrician.

The alternative is the Scoobysport Cibies - cheaper at £200, but they have a tendancy to blow bulbs, and can take a 'while' for all components to arrive.
Old 04 May 2000, 10:10 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Gary ..

I've got the pencil beam lenses fitted, they are amazing, I used to have a pair of Lucas 20/20's fitted to my last car and thought they were good ... untill these. I use the standard fit PIAA bulbs but I've investigated bigger bulbs but I might go for the Plasma Blue as I've got them in my H/Lamps. To answer your question, they have lasted over 3 months with daily use long, short and flashing etc. BUT and a BIG BUT as with the PIAA H/Lamp bulbs they don't like power surges ie starting with them on ... I know I've seen a mod to switch off the lights on start-up somewhere on here ... it just takes practice

They were dealer fitted as a special offer by Beachdale's in Derby, they have a rally team ( Run Subaru's now but had the infamous Saab's a few years back in the RAC ). They are sponsered by PIAA so get them at a special price. They fit the ones off my web site the Pro 80's and use the Subaru fitting kit. The lenses are "cheap" to replace at £32 That's why during the day on the M6 etc I keep the covers on.

The only real down side is as they are quite low to the road so you tend to "loose" the extra light on brows of hills ... but it don't half light the field up !! Oh and another point Gary, mine kept moving and it appears they don't like tightening them up too tight .... but a big spanner later solved that problem and boy oh boy they are a real git to get to without a ramp or pit.

As a measure against the odd thief that might want 'em I asked to have the standard scooby fog light holes drilled out and nut's 'n' bolts fitted through the mounting kit to prevent them from been simply undone. Call me Mr Paranoid but I had my clear fog covers stolen from the Sweet Lamb stage last November ..... I'm sure they only fit scoobies as well .... just don't want this investment going the same way ..

K

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited 04-05-2000).]
Old 04 May 2000, 11:09 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Doh! Just got back from a night-time 'spin', and another blown bulb in my Cibies ...

Fantastic lamps ... when they work!

Andrew
Old 05 May 2000, 08:23 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have just replaced my Philips H4 Turbo for PIAA Super Plasma Blue and it`s kind of magic. This bulb produces 5300K light and looks like true xenon HID.
Old 05 May 2000, 09:21 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Erik are the Philips H4s the bulbs as fitted as standard in the PIAAs? and how much were the 'super plasma blues', what spec/model no., and where from??

Many thanks
Old 06 May 2000, 01:17 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

If your looking for the PIAA anti start wiring mod
look on my site for the details, i have got PIAA plasma blue 110/100w with PIAA Spots the dogs dangles !
Bulbs cost £40.00 Pair from EC Parts in Brackley Northants

Old 11 May 2000, 12:06 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Gary

Standard bulb in Subaru is another one.
Philips H4 Turbo are forbidden to use in EU becouse they have too strong high beam and a little bit stronger main beam compared to normal H4. Full name is Philips Premium Turbo and they have red colored nose (normaly is grey). Good bulb but not PIAA.
PIAA`s comes from an Austrian dealer and full name is PIAA SUPER PLASMA BLUE(forbidden too). I was very surprised with 5300k. German webpage is at