Notices

Defi illumination / brightness?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 10:05 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Defi illumination / brightness?

I'm after a bit of help with a Defi "problem" - I've wired some Defi-Link gauges up as per instructions using the now redundant clock connector as power supplies / earth etc but I can't get the gauges to light up when I turn on my sidelights

I've connected the gauges to Meter Output 1 (as opposed to 2 for BF gauges - if I connect to Output 2 they light all the time)

When the gauges are turned on initially, they light whilst doing the startup routine then go out...

They operate as expected with the oil temp & pressure readings so I assume the system is nominally working

The only thing I can't find in the manual is how to adjust the brighness via the control unit?

Are the gauges supplied with the brightness set to zero and you have to turn them up or does it look like it's a wiring problem and I need to take an illumination feed from somewhere else?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Andy
Old 18 April 2004, 12:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

AFAIK, the standard Defi Link gauges don't have brightness control, that's only on BF gauges.

Yes, they should light up on start up, and then when you put sidelights on.

Wiring to control box required me to connect an earth, a permanent live, and a lighting live. Perhaps you missed out the lighting live?

Alcazar
Old 18 April 2004, 01:04 PM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

where did u connect the 4 wires of the control unit 2 please?

I am in 2 minds whether to do it myself or not....need someone to tell me where the wires for the controller are connected onto the cars wiring.

Any pics would be good but a description of where and what colour would be excellent.

Ive got the BF gauges to fit on a MY99 classic

Cheers

Coulster
Old 18 April 2004, 03:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Four wires? I only remember three

Still, mine was a classic, and they went on as follows:
Permanent live: under shroud at rear of ignition, later changed to rear of hazard light switch, as the first one gave about 9 volts for some reason

Lighting: rear of cig lighter
Earth: as above.

I identified live/lighting live using a circuit tester with a spike at one end to pierce insulation, and a wire terminating in a croc clip at the other end, and a bulb in a brass body in between, about £2 from carshops.
Old 18 April 2004, 03:25 PM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Four wires? I only remember three

Still, mine was a classic, and they went on as follows:
Permanent live: under shroud at rear of ignition, later changed to rear of hazard light switch, as the first one gave about 9 volts for some reason

Lighting: rear of cig lighter
Earth: as above.

I identified live/lighting live using a circuit tester with a spike at one end to pierce insulation, and a wire terminating in a croc clip at the other end, and a bulb in a brass body in between, about £2 from carshops.
Thanks

There is 4 wires, black, red, orang and white.

Was going to use stereo wiring for it. Think al let the professionals do it.

Coulster
Old 18 April 2004, 03:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Had similar problem with my BF gauges. Turned out that switching the meter output from 1 to 2 did the trick.
Old 18 April 2004, 03:40 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Coulster,

The 4 wires are

Red = +12V permanent
Black = earth
Orange = switched +12V (accessory)
White = switched +12V (illumination)

the first three of the above can be taken from the clock plug as te back of the clock unit tells you what each wire is but the white wire has to be either connected to the stereo illumination (orange?) wire or some other place that is only live when the lights are on...

I've sorted my first problem with the illumination after I found the clock illumination is only approx 60mV so is useless (needs 12V)

I've now lost power to my cig lighter which I use for the road angel etc - I'm trying to find if it's a fuse that's gone...

Edited to add - thought there must be some brightness alteration method as they light up a lot more brightly on startup than they do with the lights on...

Andy

Last edited by Apple; 18 April 2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 18 April 2004, 05:03 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Sorted this problem now - the 20A fuse to the cig lighter had gone so I must have touched something whilst doing the other bits and pieces. It hasn't blown when replaced so was a one-off short

Tried the illumination in the garage where it's a bit darker and they look OK but as said before, they don't look to be alterable for brightness

Andy