Notices

morette on an STI 7

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2003, 09:01 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

hi can any one help me? if i fit morette quads on me sti7,do i need to change the grille? i was told i would have to change the grille by a dealer due to those little bits in between the grille and the lights!
hope you understand wat i am on about!
Old 22 February 2003, 09:12 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Smile

No you don't have to change your grille, you just remove the bits between your grille and the headlights altogether as the Morettes incorporate this space into the design.

Paul
Old 22 February 2003, 09:17 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

SDB

Doesn't the STi have a sports grille on the front. If so you would need to change it. I have bog standard "honeycombe" grille on my WRX and this works with morrettes!

So if your grille is the same as the WRX then u r okay.

Pete
Old 22 February 2003, 09:54 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Smile

well pete this is the problem!is my grille the same as a WRX grille????
Old 22 February 2003, 09:56 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

If it's a Type UK you will have to change your front grille.

If it's a Type UK Prodrive you won't.

If it's a JDM it could be either of the above

Old 22 February 2003, 09:57 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Smile

i mean in shape,not style!ie FIT!
Old 22 February 2003, 10:02 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Smile

type uk nathan!are jdm front's different???
Old 22 February 2003, 10:05 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yes reading your post properly they are!,sorry mate!
Old 22 February 2003, 10:50 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Some early JDM STi 7 cars came with the same front as a WRX, just with HID lights. The later models have the revised front like our STi 7. If your type UK is not a prodrive style you would have to fit a new grille as well.

If that makes any sense at all

Have you got a pic of the front of your car ?
Old 23 February 2003, 10:16 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Why would you want to put Morrettes on an STI7, the quality of the light output would be MUCH worse. Spend the money on a proper HID setup.
Old 23 February 2003, 12:10 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JGRIFF

Thanks for the confirmation (from an actual owner) of what I was thinking - I've got UK300s on a wrx and am hopefully going up to STi7 & HID (when the dealer sorts somebody else wanting to 'downgrade' to morettes - just hope they don't read this first )

That's just blown apart a bit of sales patter

Apple
Old 23 February 2003, 01:07 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

pic of your car for you
Old 23 February 2003, 02:12 PM
r
Scooby Regular

Smile

cheers matey!
Old 25 February 2003, 11:48 AM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Prodrive tell me that you can't fit the Prodrive headlamp kit to an STI due to wiring differences and problems with the headlamp levellers.
Has anyone got around this?
Steve
Old 26 February 2003, 08:34 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

StevePPP,

I have installed STi7 lights on my WRX and made the necessary wiring and headlamp leveling conversion myself.

Obviously installing Morettes/Prodrives on STi would need a reverse conversion. The actual wiring is fairly simple to do but sourcing all the necessary connectors can be a real pain. At least you wouldn't need electronic circuitry for the headlight leveling when doing STi -> Morettes/Prodrives conversion.
Old 27 February 2003, 12:57 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

jah

where did you get your connectors from? was it from the dealer as I'm hopefully picking my lights up in a couple of days but I won't get round to fitting them straight off

I'm having a pcb made up to your spec and was wondering whether to just cut off the OE connectors and put my own on?

Apple
Old 28 February 2003, 09:46 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Apple,

I got the connectors I needed from a dealer. In fact I only needed the 6-pin leveling connectors as I made the bulb connectors myself using standard 2.8mm flat connectors, 2-component epoxy glue (to hold the connectors together) and electrical shrink wrap tube to wrap the whole thing into a nice package.

Cutting off the OE connectors and replcaing them with some standard types sold in autoelectrical stores would probably be far easier option to do but I wanted to keep the actual headlights unmodified.
Old 10 March 2003, 07:10 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

jah

I've hit a snag with my Prodrives > STi conversion - the dealer supplying me the lights has pulled out of trying to fit morettes to the other guy's STi saying the wiring is too difficult [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] This is after they had bought them and got him to book the car in AFAIK

Thinking aloud...

If the WRX is a rheostat / potentiometer and gives out four discreet currents which set the levelling motor to four positions, i.e. for lamp position 0 to 3, and the STi system is a motor that assumes the position of whichever wire of four is live (as you said, +12V, 0V and four position wires which I assume mean the four levelling positions), could each of the feed wires on the STi "car side" of the wiring have a resistor added to correspond to the equivalent WRX current and then the four feed wires are joined back into the lamp connector, i.e. +12V and 0V as before plus 4 into one and the motor sees whichever currrent controlled by the in-line resistors? The values of the resistors would have to be determined by measuring the output of the WRX rheostat / potentiometer.

Does this make any sense or am I talking out of my backside?

You'll have to forgive the mech eng view on things rather than and elec eng

Hope you can help as I'd like to kick-start the dealer again if I can offer him a solution and get them to accept it.

Apple
Old 11 March 2003, 09:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this, complete with circuit diagrams, component values etc b4 Christmas. do a search, and it may help.
Alcazar
Old 11 March 2003, 06:43 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've already got the circuit diagram for the STi > WRX conversion and am working on it

I have just searched and found the resistance values for the 4 WRX leveling switch positions and am having the boffins at work look into how it can be replicated on an STi... I came up with one idea as per my last post but they have more of an understanding

Apple
Old 11 March 2003, 09:00 PM
kaleman
Scooby Newbie

Curious.. whats the going rate for STI 7 lights ?
Old 13 March 2003, 12:37 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Apple,
Does this now mean you have a set of UK300 WR Sport headlights surplus to requirements. I have Morrettes on my 02WRX and am thinking of changing. Mal
Old 13 March 2003, 06:14 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Mal - possibly but I need to kick start the dealer and the other (unknown) person in the chain - this might not be possible but I can only try

I first need to get both wiring designs sorted...

Apple
Old 13 March 2003, 08:47 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Apple, keep me informed as I would be interested when you get sorted. Mal
Old 18 March 2003, 09:13 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Apple,

If the WRX is a rheostat / potentiometer and gives out four discreet currents which set the levelling motor to four positions, i.e. for lamp position 0 to 3, and the STi system is a motor that assumes the position of whichever wire of four is live (as you said, +12V, 0V and four position wires which I assume mean the four levelling positions), could each of the feed wires on the STi "car side" of the wiring have a resistor added to correspond to the equivalent WRX current and then the four feed wires are joined back into the lamp connector, i.e. +12V and 0V as before plus 4 into one and the motor sees whichever currrent controlled by the in-line resistors? The values of the resistors would have to be determined by measuring the output of the WRX rheostat / potentiometer.
Yes apart from the small detail that WRX potentiometer grounds the wire through the resistor and on the STi the common pin on the 4-way switch is connected to +12V.

You could do what you suggest above if you change the switch connections so that the common pin is grounded instead of +12V.

The resistor values off my head (not 100% sure these are right)
are 1, 120, 750 and 2700 ohms, switch position 0 being the 2700 ohm one.
Old 19 March 2003, 12:56 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

jah

thanks once again for the info - I'd also found some details on I-club and he used pots to fine tune the levels once installed.

the only prblem I have now is that the dealer has gone cold on me about getting the lights off the guy with the STi . Apparently he had a full day booked in (and probably paid for) for them to turn round and say it was too difficult

I tried pointing out I'd nearly got a working solution for him (the easier conversion of the two ) but they don't want to get him back in on the off chance for fear of losing him as a customer and they won't let me contact him (or her?)

I could buy a new set with "extra" discount but it's still going on £500 which is too much considering the price I was offered his set for...

If, by magic, anybody reading this is the person that was hoping to have morettes fitted to an STi7 at a certain Yorkshire dealer, please get in touch via my profile and we might be able to sort this out if you still want to fit morettes to your car...

Apple