Nearside dip beam issues

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2021, 08:44 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Nearside dip beam issues

Hi all,

never really had any electrical issues in the past bar battery going flat so this one is new one for me. Must have developed recently as my scoob is really just a toy so rarely drive during evenings/night especially with recent pandemic.

I did do a search but nothing quite similar there was post from 2011 but not quite the same.

So in short it’s a blob WRX stock lights not messed around with wires no fancy bulbs.

When I turn dip beam on all appears in order both sides work including parking lights as intended. However, I can just see the near side high beam bulb filament slightly illuminated but only slightly. (I have not got my multimeter out yet but it appears that there is tiny current going to high beam) Now the odd thing is when I turn high beam on the driver side all still works as intended with both dip and high beam, but near side goes off completely as in neither far beam or dip beam on, but as soon as I flip the stalk to normal position both sides dip beam work. Now if I use flash same thing near side off both bulbs and driver side comes on as should but near side goes off.

now all bulbs are good as have swapped around same issue persist the fuses should be good otherwise I would have though that dip beam wouldn’t work.

i have run out of time today so will revisit tomorrow.

i guess first point to check would be fuses/relay? I though I ask in advance on hear just in case anyone had exact same thing.

filski

Old 06 September 2021, 09:34 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

When you turn on the headlights you get the following......
Both headlight relays are energised, each headlight has 12volts available to both high and low bulbs with low beam being put direct to earth so lighting up. Current through the high beam bulb is controlled through the dip switch to earth, so that both high and low beams come on together for high beam.
You probably have an earth somewhere battery side (+ve) of the low beam bulb wiring and the switched side (-ve) of the high beam bulb so that current bypasses both bulbs on the affected side.

Old 06 September 2021, 09:56 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Clark
When you turn on the headlights you get the following......
Both headlight relays are energised, each headlight has 12volts available to both high and low bulbs with low beam being put direct to earth so lighting up. Current through the high beam bulb is controlled through the dip switch to earth, so that both high and low beams come on together for high beam.
You probably have an earth somewhere battery side (+ve) of the low beam bulb wiring and the switched side (-ve) of the high beam bulb so that current bypasses both bulbs on the affected side.

Thanks Don, I really didn’t expect a response that quick!!! So much appreciated.

the wiring diagram is helpful thanks! Although bit of a step up ,in complexity terms, comparing to my mini Haynes manual

Makes sense now as to why I get one but not both.

So effectively should look out for a bad wire somewhere nearside both Earth and Live.

I have removed the battery recently to charge perhaps pinched something when putting it back in or maybe bit of corrosion.

will investigate and report back, but it’s certainly a good start!

once again thanks.

filski