Notices

Headlight adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 12:31 AM
Duracell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight adjustment ?

Have recently changed headlight bulbs and put in cool blue ones,now my headlights appear to be pointing higher than before,anyone else experienced this and how do you adjust the beam level ?

Ta....Duracell
Old 11 February 2004, 07:59 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I've just replaced mine yesterday to some Bosch 80/100w bulbs and I was thinking that they were pointing higher but decided that it's probably the higher power...see my reply on "headlamp bulbs??" yesterday, so I'd be interested to see if anyone has anything to offer on this. I have set the electric headlamp adjusters to the lowest setting but I still think the beam may be high....I was behind a few cars today who I'm sure I saw adjust their rear view mirror because of my lights? and the roadsigns are getting very illuminated even from a distance which does seem better but I don't want to be glaring/blinding people as I get irritated by that myself.
Is it just down to more power or should they be adjusted more because of the increased light output?
melon.
Old 11 February 2004, 08:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

It's very easy to put a new bulb in slightly ****-eyed, and it all goes together again, no probs................that is, until you switch on, and the beams are high:

First check, if you can be bothered, would be to replace one old bulb, and shine the lights on a wall etc. Then mark it's position on the wall, replace with new bulb, and compare.

It's not that probable that you've got BOTH bulbs badly installed. Could it be that the lights were too high all the time, but no-one noticed?

If you're not sure, any MoT station will beam set them and align them for about a fiver.

Alcazar
Old 11 February 2004, 08:13 AM
Duracell
Scooby Regular

Thanx for replies

I'll check the bulbs again,

Melon:your experiencing exactly the same as i am,let me no if you cure or not?

Duracell
Old 15 February 2004, 11:40 PM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

Guys

What models are we talking about?
Old 16 February 2004, 11:26 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

As above - what model?
After putting on the Prodrive springs the lights need adjusting. Anyone with the procedure for the 03STi?
JohnD
Old 18 February 2004, 11:43 AM
STi8 Mate
Scooby Regular

After a HID upgrade I became more aware of significant stray light from the MY03 reflectors. This was probably the reason for being flashed by a number of oncoming vehicles. After adjusting the beam down quite some way (too far) I notice there is still quite a lot of light above the beam kink point. Friends with other shaped reflector headlamp vehicles have also complained about similar problems. I think the shaped reflector headlamp is the reason. Basically they do not control the beam properly. You can see where you are going but sometimes you are blinding oncoming traffic. Very litle you can do about it. I bet they are the cheapest headlamp you can produce.

No such critisism can be directed at the projector headlamps in the MY02 cars (STi etc) which seem to control the beam very accurately.