Notices

Instrument Cluster Strange Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2021, 07:16 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Strange Wire?

Can anyone help identify this wiring and what might be going on. I have just removed the instrument cluster on my 2004 WRX as I am wiring in some gauges and needed to get access to the area behind the instrument cluster. On the far right green connector on the instrument panel there is a thick black wire with an inline blade fuse holder and then also a thinner black wire, both of which are not connected into the green connector and are taped off.

I have never noticed any problems with the instrument cluster so I am really confused as to what these wires could do. I presume that this was done by a previous owner but the thick and thin black wires seem to run with the rest of the wrapped wires in the harness as if it was there from the factory.

The only thing that I can see is that a previous owner had run some kind of music amplifier in the rear before. I don't know if this could be something to do with that? I have looked at the wiring diagram but I cannot tell, especially as the two black wires are not actually in the pins on the green connector.

Last edited by Sub-Subaru; 26 July 2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 26 July 2021, 07:42 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Looking at where they are, they where probably a live and ground wire for a boost gauge or something in the A pillar area and maybe just taped into the loom to keep it tidy.
The green connector (i11) in your hand also has an ign +ve connection (C7- Green/White) so "could be" spliced into that within the loom.

Is there a fuse in the holder? if so probably best to remove it unless re-using the feed.

Old 26 July 2021, 08:06 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

It is so strange because the car hasn’t been modified other than the exhaust back box. The only things are an aftermarket stereo and maybe other audio equipment at some point.

I don’t understand, if the thin black wire which is the same size as the others on the i11 connector is not actually wired into a pin on the connector, then surely some function should be missing/faulty?

You may be right but from a general observation the loom for the instrument cluster doesn’t look messed with and I can’t see any other tampering with the loom.

There is a fuse in the fuse holder. I can’t remember what amp rating (purple) but it doesn’t look blown. I was trying to get on with my gauge wiring so started to remove the tape but then thought best to leave alone for the min. I am not sure though yet if the thin and thick black wires are connected but I don’t think so.
Old 26 July 2021, 08:09 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

It also seems strange that someone would decide to tap into the wires on the cluster to power a gauge doesn’t it?
Old 26 July 2021, 08:14 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Also am I right in saying that the manual’s wiring diagram doesn’t actually give you the breakdown and colors of the wires for the i11 connector. I found the connector but no better detail to see if there is a black wire in i11 normally and what that wire does.
Old 26 July 2021, 09:02 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

It also seems strange that someone would decide to tap into the wires on the cluster to power a gauge doesn’t it?
Depends who did it, gauges don't take much power, although they're not actually tapping into the cluster, just the supply to it.
Use a multi meter and see if the fused wire is still a live feed and if the other black wire is an earth or not.

I don’t understand, if the thin black wire which is the same size as the others on the i11 connector is not actually wired into a pin on the connector, then surely some function should be missing/faulty?
It probably has nothing to do with the combimeter but for whatever was added/removed. The aftermarket inline fuse holders usually comes with thicker gauge wire.
As for a tampered loom - it's pretty easy to re-wrap sections, if necessary.

Also am I right in saying that the manual’s wiring diagram doesn’t actually give you the breakdown and colors of the wires for the i11 connector.
You would need to look at the various system wiring diagrams that are associated with the combimeter to ascertain the various wire colours/pin connections (eg. the i11/ C7 connection is shown on the Engine Electrical System diagrams).

Last edited by Don Clark; 26 July 2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01 August 2021, 08:03 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Those are some good points. It seems you were right about it generally as well. I haven’t removed the dash gauges before so didn’t realise initially that there were extra items behind there. I presume these are not supposed to be there from the factory. It seems to be a navigation system and speaker and another electrical box. They have their own cable wrap so looked like they were meant to be there. The thick blade fused wire is joined to the thin black wire. I am not sure why they used a thin black wire to power the setup if it is not part of the original harness. I am also not sure if the thin black wire is actually receiving bolts. I am also not sure how the navigation system was interfaced/operated.

Old 01 August 2021, 08:06 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Old 01 August 2021, 09:41 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Looks like the Smartnav Trafficmaster Navigation system (Subaru UK accessory SACC3700/3700S)

You may still have the "Tm" button (top left in picture) somewhere on your dash.