Notices

anyone any good with immobilisers?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2005, 01:23 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy anyone any good with immobilisers?

hi guys

right, the GTFour i had off Flat4 is finally nearing completion, and i've come across a minor hitch. she's fitted with an unknown brand of cat-2 touchkey type immobiliser. to get the loom out of the car i had to cut the 4 wires leading to it from the loom, simple enough i thought, leave an inch of each connected to the loom and just connect colour-colour when refitting. now having refitted the loom, one of the scotchloks, complete with the bit of wire that would have signalled to me where to connect to, has come off the loom. the colours i have connected are orange, blue and black, and the wire coming from the immobiliser that i don't know where to connect is green. All the others are 'tagged onto' existing wires, rather than the wires having been cut and current having to go thru the immobiliser. is it likely that if i jut disconnect em all she will go? i've got the colours of the wires that they are connected to also if that helps, though it is, of course, a Toyota....

any help would be much appreciated, as i really want her back up n running after 12 months downtime already!

ps. if it helps to identify the immobiliser, it's a touchkey that slides into a rectangular hole, with 3 brass contacts on it, and after you touch it home, you have a beeper for about 15 seconds, during which time you gotta turn the key to 'acc' otherwise the touchkey has to be used again.

thanks
Owain / owbow
Old 16 February 2005, 09:51 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by owbow
hi guys

right, the GTFour i had off Flat4 is finally nearing completion, and i've come across a minor hitch. she's fitted with an unknown brand of cat-2 touchkey type immobiliser. to get the loom out of the car i had to cut the 4 wires leading to it from the loom, simple enough i thought, leave an inch of each connected to the loom and just connect colour-colour when refitting. now having refitted the loom, one of the scotchloks, complete with the bit of wire that would have signalled to me where to connect to, has come off the loom. the colours i have connected are orange, blue and black, and the wire coming from the immobiliser that i don't know where to connect is green. All the others are 'tagged onto' existing wires, rather than the wires having been cut and current having to go thru the immobiliser. is it likely that if i jut disconnect em all she will go? i've got the colours of the wires that they are connected to also if that helps, though it is, of course, a Toyota....

any help would be much appreciated, as i really want her back up n running after 12 months downtime already!

ps. if it helps to identify the immobiliser, it's a touchkey that slides into a rectangular hole, with 3 brass contacts on it, and after you touch it home, you have a beeper for about 15 seconds, during which time you gotta turn the key to 'acc' otherwise the touchkey has to be used again.

thanks
Owain / owbow
Its unlikely that there are just these 4 wires, if this is a Cat 2 system there will be at least another 8 black wires - four of these black wires being the 2 immobiliser circuits. Rather than guess at the wire functions, I would strip the loom back to expose the connections - any that are "tagged on" to vehicle wires can be cut off to remove the imobiliser, but one pair (two pairs if it is Cat 2 and all 4 wires will be black) will be connected to either side of a "cut" vehicle wire (- usually the starter solenoid and/or fuel pump relay wires) and this cut must be bridged to allow the engine to start/run.
If it is a good installation there should be a good section of the vehicles wire removed to the vehicle's loom. Also check, when the wire appears to be "tagged on", that the vehicle wire isn't cut further along the loom - ideally check with a continuity tester.
Best of luck.
SS
Old 16 February 2005, 12:06 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

oops forgot to mention, all these 'tagged on' wires are right at the ecu. damn scotchloks! only 1 connection i need to make and she'll go! aaargh

thanks

Owain