Changing stereo in 2000 WRX RA

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 03:10 PM
don-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing stereo in 2000 WRX RA

Hi Folks,

No doubt this has been posted on here before, but i want to change the stereo in my new type ra (year 2000 model).

Question is.. How do i remove the blue centre part of the dash where the stereo and spare din slot is? I tried taking out the 2 screws that hold the cup holder in place, but this didnt seem to make much difference - truth is im scared of forcing it and breaking something!

So if anyone has removed it before or knows exactly how... the help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Dennis
Old 05 July 2007, 04:33 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Hi there. Not sure if it is quite the same but here goes. I have a 95 WRX and to remove the cage I do the following:

Remove cup holder and remove 2 screws from behind on either side of trim.

Pull back the rubber gaitor (front) and unscrew 2 screws from trim - F.Y.I these were not screwed in on mine anyway so I skipped this step.

Remove trim around stereo one of 2 ways. Either prise the trim from behind the gearstick with a flat-head screw driver (its held on with plastic clips) or pull from the top end. If pulling from the top (which is how I do it) you will need to use a little bit of force! It will all pop off in one piece.

Now, you can either remove the gaitor from the trim and take out the trim (gaitor is held onto the trim with some plastic prongs) or if you just un-clip the gaitor from just under the gearknob you can actually turn the whole thing around in one piece. I prefer the latter as getting the gaitor to relocate over those prongs can be a real pig!

You should now have exposed the cage. There are four screws holding this in, two at the top and two at the bottom. Take these out and slide it out in one piece. If you have a ground lead attached to the cage (as mine does) disconnect this before sliding all the way out as there isn't enough slack otherwise.

Job done! Fitting is the reverse of removal.

Head unit should be bolted straight onto the cage.

Hope this helps
Old 09 July 2007, 04:35 PM
don-scoob
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help fella, got it eventually! couldn't get the cup holder out for some reason, but its done now.. and stereo works a treat

D.