Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Where to start, Boost guage? help...

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2007, 02:21 PM
Muerde
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start, Boost guage? help...

Hi,

first post from a new scooby owner... I have just purchased a 2001 WRX which is failrly close to standard, so far I have been given more adice on this car compared to anything else I have ever owned, I have no idea what to listen to or trust... so though it best to try here.

First off I have been told a boost guage is essential... I can see that this is important, can anyone give me some advice on a sensible option and wether digital or analogue is best?

Secondly I have a knock link sitting in the drivers air vent... handy... its got no lights and I have no idea if its even worth investigating and getting working. Whats it do and is it useful?

Thrid I kinda like the pod's on the pillar but again, what's best, and where to get these things?

Lastly.. what is actually essential, I can install a boost guage and a oil pressure and all these others, but what is really needed and essentail to me? Any advice on those first few steps.

Cheers

Muerde A very happy Scooby owner indeed
Old 11 July 2007, 03:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, boost gauge is NOT essential unless you want to mod the car. Or unless it's ALREADY modded and you want to keep an eye on the boost.

Unless you like to drive WATCHING a boost gauge, try the ones that record the peak, like Defi, HKS etc. Dear but worth it. Otherwise, a digital one would be best, as most do record peaks.

As for the Knock Link, yes, they ARE a good idea, (PSLewis will be along in a minute to tell you the opposite and call them **** Links Ignore).

They are showing the level of det, knock, pinking, call it what you will, etc, in your engine, and as such are a valuable device to avoid engine failure on a)modded engines, b) imports which aren't remapped to UK fuel, and c) both!

If it's not working, it will show NOTHING, ie: NO LIGHTS, not even a dim green one when the engine is running. This is likely to be a poor connection, but it should be possible to trace it's wiring and check connections. The earth came loose on mine

Alcazar