Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Seats from a blob STi into a classic?????

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2007, 09:47 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seats from a blob STi into a classic?????

I know this can be done, but has anyone come across any threads / how-too's on it?

Just won an ebay auction for some sti seats out of an MY05 to go *gulp* in my facelifted classic.

A guy from Sussex scoobies once told me I just have to slightly mod the rear seat, wanna read up on the job...

jap performance parts also told me it can be done.

any threads / how-too's on it you've seen across the usual haunts (forums)?

the most i found was

Actually fitted sti interior into my old 96 sports saloon, drivers and passenger seats, my old seats only had four stud holes, where as the new sti seats had five. all the other stud holes lined up correctly.
Just remember to take off the seat belt clip off you old seats, cos mine dint clip into the ones on the sti seats, so after bolting everything up, I had to take out the seats and change them over.Worth every minute of it though as they looked the mutts nuts!

02 December 2002, 01:44
311WRX
cheers in advance
Old 28 January 2007, 10:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

AFAIK, the fronts are a straight exchange, but pay attention to that bit about seat belt clips. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me when I put STi6 seats into my classic. Takes one minute to swop 'em over if you do it before fitting the seat...........

Not sure about rears, though.

My STi6 ones went in a dream, but I did lose the "feed through" facility I had on the old UK seats.

Alcazar
Old 28 January 2007, 07:14 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alcazar
AFAIK, the fronts are a straight exchange, but pay attention to that bit about seat belt clips. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me when I put STi6 seats into my classic. Takes one minute to swop 'em over if you do it before fitting the seat...........

Not sure about rears, though.

My STi6 ones went in a dream, but I did lose the "feed through" facility I had on the old UK seats.

Alcazar
Excuse my ignorance, what is meant by "feed through"? - cheers in advance
Old 28 January 2007, 07:40 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

spilt fold down seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STi don't have it...
Old 28 January 2007, 07:46 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
spilt fold down seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STi don't have it...
Ahh - thanks, makes sense to me now,

I have noticed that - for that reason, I may have to get the covers off the rear sti and professionally retrim the originally split rears i have - costly tho....
Old 02 February 2007, 10:26 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok today my new-age seats were unwrapped after delivery yesterday...

My classic as mentioned has fold down split seats at present.

Unwrapped the rear STI seat and wasnt quite expecting to see exposed foam at the rear??

See pic

So there's not much rigidity for the seat back I'm thinking, and you'd see foam from the boot...

I take it STI's and non 'split-seat rears' usually have a metal plate which is where the seat back rests on / mounts too??

Last edited by riiidaa; 02 February 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03 February 2007, 10:15 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Took enough pics for a how-too - write up to be done...

Last edited by riiidaa; 04 February 2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04 February 2007, 04:13 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

looking good mate
I am thinking about STI 7's or 8's for my classic
How did the rear bench go in the end,were they a straight fit,is the support ok and can you see the foam exterior from the boot?
Also what is the seat height like in the front ,I have been told that they sit higher than the standard classic seats?

Cheers
Matt
Old 04 February 2007, 06:53 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Cant wait for the write up
Old 04 February 2007, 07:03 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by mattpat
looking good mate
I am thinking about STI 7's or 8's for my classic
How did the rear bench go in the end,were they a straight fit,is the support ok and can you see the foam exterior from the boot?
Also what is the seat height like in the front ,I have been told that they sit higher than the standard classic seats?

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt and thanks

Well, yes the front's are higher than the original, not too much in it, but I ain't 6ft so it's no issue and quite a plus for me.

The rear, at the moment I've added no support at all so yes exposed foam visible from the boot. Also the rear seat sits a tadd higher so a slither of foam visible from above the rear shelf when peaking in from the tinted rear window, this is solved easily enough with a carpet offcut or some nice black cloth.

I had been thinking of using a thin ply sheet or perhaps some hardboard as a backing for the rear seat - still not a permanent measure really but we didn't do this yet...

I am told some metal bracing can be got.

However I'm hoping my original split rear can be re-trimmed using the STI cover with more material added. (Will only go ahead if that can be done professionally, confidently and without costing the earth)

HTH

Last edited by riiidaa; 05 February 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05 February 2007, 10:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Hello mate. When I did mine, I too was surprised to see exposed foam. I fetched the seats from GradeA at Hayfield, and the guy there asked what car they were going into, and when I said a classic, he loaned me a spanner, and showed me the car the STi6 seats had come out of, and the bracing bar to unbolt. I was told to get the bolts too.

It sits across the centre of the rear seat, and fits via two bolts, the boltholes are there on the classic, with captive nuts behind. The bar was tubular, with holes at either end on flattened parts, to match the bolt holes on the car, I think the bolts were M12, but don't rely on that.

I also took from the donor car the trim that fits across the space between the interior and the boot, and the trim clips that fit it. This went in place before fitting the bar, and seat back.

I reckon a phone call to GradeA might just source the bits you need, they don't always sell them as they aren't needed on the newage cars

HTH, Alcazar
Old 05 February 2007, 10:32 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alcazar: Great post, I'll make some enquiries and when it comes to doing the how-too for others - this will be a worthy inclusion.
Old 05 February 2007, 06:57 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
Hi Matt and thanks

Well, yes the front's are higher than the original, not too much in it, but I ain't 6ft so it's no issue and quite a plus for me.

The rear, at the moment I've added no support at all so yes exposed foam visible from the boot. Also the rear seat sits a tadd higher so a slither of foam visible from above the rear shelf when peaking in fom the tintec rear window, this is solved easily enough with a carpet offcut or some nice black cloth.

I had been thinking of using a thin ply sheet or perhaps some hardboard as a backing for the rear seat - still not a permanent measure really but we didn't do this yet...

I am told some metal bracing can be got.

I however I'm hoping my original split rear can be re-trimmed using the STI cover with more material added. (Will only go ahead if that can be done professionally, confidently and without costing the earth)

HTH
cheers mate
Old 05 February 2007, 11:08 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I've done this in my MY00 classic, i trimed the back of the rear seats with my grey boot carpet and bought a new boot carpet.
Wasn't worried about the foam in the boot, but it can be seen between the seat and parcel shelf as the seat are slightly taller than the origanl ones.

Last edited by turboDean; 05 February 2007 at 11:12 PM.