Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2006, 02:11 PM
scooby-stu2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

how big of a job is it to fit n oil pressure gauge or would i be better geting an oil temp gauge. I am planning on having it mounted on the piller along with my boost gauge, oh ye its on a classic by the way
Old 17 March 2006, 02:41 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

If you have any common sense then it is very easy, some guides on here if you serach

personaly I would go with the oil temp guage out of the two, allows you to be sure your up to a good operating temp before going heavy with the left foot in the mornings and of course shows if its getting too hot.
Old 17 March 2006, 03:12 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

before going heavy with the left foot in the mornings
Cant imagine what your driving position is like
Old 17 March 2006, 03:19 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 17 March 2006, 03:24 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

both would be a good idea if funds allow,easy to fit,there are plenty on here who can give you some info,as said temp is good because it is suprising how long it takes for the oil to get up to operating temp after the water gauge shows normal temp,best to get to roughly 80 degrees on the oil temp before running the car hard... oil pressure also worth having as its known for oil pumps to fail and as the stanard switch is set at a stupidly low level,if the light comes on,its prob too late to save the engine,a pressure gauge will give an indication all is not well in time to prevent a costly rebuild
Old 17 March 2006, 03:32 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

I'll be more helpful this time...

Thanks to some good advice, I've got myself a 52 mm SPA dual gauge with Oil Pressure and Oil Temp. Cost £140, but you're getting 2 gauges in one after all.

It has the added benefit of being electric oil pressure rather than mechanical so that the oil doesn't actually come up into your gauge
Old 17 March 2006, 03:57 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Hot oil in the cabin is not a good idea.... electrical is best
Old 17 March 2006, 05:19 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Cant imagine what your driving position is like
lol, was wondering if anyone would spot this
Old 17 March 2006, 05:34 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rigga
both would be a good idea if funds allow,easy to fit,there are plenty on here who can give you some info,as said temp is good because it is suprising how long it takes for the oil to get up to operating temp after the water gauge shows normal temp,best to get to roughly 80 degrees on the oil temp before running the car hard... oil pressure also worth having as its known for oil pumps to fail and as the stanard switch is set at a stupidly low level,if the light comes on,its prob too late to save the engine,a pressure gauge will give an indication all is not well in time to prevent a costly rebuild
Agree with most of this however unless you get a Defi or some such gauge with a warning light or you consitantly drive looking at the guage, I think you will be lucky to notice a oil pressure loss in time to prevent any damage.

as to installation, the oil temp is an easy install as there is a nice blanking plug above no.3 cyl which is ideal (no.3 next to the turbo which *rumor* has it keeps it a bit hotter/ is the usual cylinder to fail)

I have my oil pressure sensor T'd from the standard pressure sensor location (near alternator) and it looks a bit messy, so would go for a oil filter sandwich plate next time (that is if you still want to keep the original oil presure warning light active).
Old 17 March 2006, 07:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

I think the SPA has a warning light. Its not fitted yet, but I think you can set maximum and minimums...I'll check the instructions later.
Old 17 March 2006, 08:56 PM
scooby-stu2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I'll be more helpful this time...

Thanks to some good advice, I've got myself a 52 mm SPA dual gauge with Oil Pressure and Oil Temp. Cost £140, but you're getting 2 gauges in one after all.

It has the added benefit of being electric oil pressure rather than mechanical so that the oil doesn't actually come up into your gauge
where did you get yor gauge from then, that sounds like the good option.
Old 18 March 2006, 12:12 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Just bought a SPA oil pressure/temp gauge from AWD motorsport 01738 633336 for £120 + Vat, which was about the cheapest I could find.
You'll also need fittings whihc you can get from LMA in Bedford 08454 304404.
LMA 095/1 (£20) for mounting the pressure sensor, if you want to keep the OEM sensor as well and LMA 067 (£4) to mount the temp sensor.

LMA are also developing a sandwich to go on the oil filter to replace the above bits.

The SPA can be set up with its own warning light trigger, so it can show low pressure wihtout meaning the engine is really dead, unlike the OEM pressure light.
Old 18 March 2006, 12:24 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

scoobyworld do a sandwich plate already (£30).

I would still take the temp reading from the blanking plug above no 3 cyl though, but you will probably need the LMA thread addaptor for that
Old 18 March 2006, 05:59 PM
scooby-stu2
Scooby Regular

so i can just buy the gauge and then the sandwhich plate and i ready to rock and roll or i am better geting the mounting adaptors and doing it that way, or am i getting far too confused now and don't have a clue where i am gona mount the bleeding thing, prob won't even geting a reading when i fit it.
Old 18 March 2006, 08:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

The sandwich is best fitted when you change the oil as it needs the filter to come off.
Old 19 March 2006, 11:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have oil temp and pressure, Defis, which I fitted myself, along with a boost gauge.

The oil temperature sender fits in the tapping above No3 cylinder, as mentioned earlier, and is put in place with the aid of a LONG 8mm Allen (hex) key to remove the original blanking plug, and a thread adaptor from Scoobymania (about £8) for the threads, plus some PTFE tape to keep it all nice and oil-tight.

The pressure sender is put IN PLACE of the OE switch, which gives the Defi version plenty of space, and is a straight swap, the threads being the same....not forgetting the PTFE tape, of course

Alcazar
Old 19 March 2006, 04:20 PM
scooby-stu2
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys, off to buy some gauges, and lets c if they work when i am done!!!!