Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 1999, 08:56 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently fitted a boost gauge to a MY97,(taken off the spare plug on the manifold) trouble is there isn't a decent place to site the gauge. But I was clearing out my garage and came across a 3 gauge unit for an Audi Coupe that fitted in front of the gear lever - angled slightly to the driver as well.
So as I don't use the ash tray, I canabalised the Audi unit to fit. Now I have a space for an extra gauge. So what is the best to fit - an oil temperature or oil pressure gauge or something else.
Thanks Davy
Old 01 July 1999, 07:21 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

I would fit an oil temp guage -
reason - I have 4 extra guages on my sti but the thing that strikes me now is that even when the water temp guage on the normal dash is in its usual upper position - it is still 3 - 4 minutes from a cold start before the oil temp starts to come up - if you want to know when it is 'safe' to put your foot down - I recommend getting an oil temp guage.
oil pressure is fairly meaningless as it varies with the revs/load on the engine (but nice to know you still have some oil in the sump I guess) voltmeter reads 14 volts all the time ! - an ammeter might be more worthwhile.

Maybe someone should make a guage that shows gallons/hour for the scooby's fuel consumption - this would make sobering viewing I feel!

cheers,

Paul W
Old 01 July 1999, 10:33 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

How difficult is it to fit an oil temperature gauge? Does anyone make a handy kit with all the right bits?

Cheers
Andy
Old 02 July 1999, 06:34 AM
Dukas
Scooby Regular

As I recall fitting oil temperature gauge is no an easy task since the Impreza does not have oil temperature unit.
GGR and others has oil pressure gauge and installing that is an easy task (about 2-3 hours for unskilled technician like me).

Eran.
Old 02 July 1999, 12:37 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

andy,
probably easier to fit than to spell the gauge (there I managed it) I always type this word as guage don't know why!

mine was factory fitted - lamco gauge - the plumbing looks straightforward and I think it is running from an existing sensor (can't remember what the last car looked like)- however it does involve pushing some wires through the bulkhead so not exactly a quick + simple diy job.

apexi, hks, and blitz all do suitable items - should be easy enough to locate.

GGR is one uk source

regards,

Paul W
Old 02 July 1999, 12:55 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul, I'll give GGR a call tomorrow.

Getting the wires into the car won't be a problem, as I spent a weekend trying to find a way to get the pipes into the car for a boost gauge.

Thanks
Andy