Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impreza has been hit by a truck! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2012, 01:31 PM
IfInDoubtFlatOut
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza has been hit by a truck! HELP!!!

Recently acquired a lovely Impreza Turbo 2000 as a family toy
Unfortunately 8 days later (today) a Sainsbury's truck decided to modify the bodywork for me..... the damage is purely cosmetic and the car works and drives fine.
Now i'm worried that the insurance company will write it off it is a really great motor and drives even better than it looks, someone previously has spent some money on it. Anyway i'm new to this forum (and Impreza's for that matter!) and would really appreciate some advice on what to do

Before...
https://twitter.com/VindosSpiritus/s...969153/photo/1

After the truck's treatment....
https://twitter.com/VindosSpiritus/s...134592/photo/1

Thanks in advance people.
Old 10 June 2012, 01:33 PM
IfInDoubtFlatOut
Scooby Newbie

Oh by the way, if you click on the photo again it zooms in lol
Old 10 June 2012, 01:33 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

Ouch!!!
Maybe the insurance will write it off and you will be able to buy it back and repair it cheaply
Old 10 June 2012, 01:35 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may well be a write off mate,quarter panel plus blend into joining panels will be in in excess of 1K,your best bet would be a contract repair if you want to keep it.
Old 10 June 2012, 04:16 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Deff keep it, you can get that filled and sprayed for few hundred, had damage on old corsa 150 to have front wing filled sprayed. Looked better than before bump lol
Old 10 June 2012, 09:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I think it may well be a write off mate,quarter panel plus blend into joining panels will be in in excess of 1K,your best bet would be a contract repair if you want to keep it.
Originally Posted by jaygsi
Deff keep it, you can get that filled and sprayed for few hundred, had damage on old corsa 150 to have front wing filled sprayed. Looked better than before bump lol
Old 12 June 2012, 07:46 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Whats a contract repair? Sorry about ur car mate.
Old 12 June 2012, 07:49 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BugSti Malone
Whats a contract repair? Sorry about ur car mate.
It's when the insurance give a fixed amount to fix the car,the amount is usually as much as they can/will give before writing off the car.
It is then down to the repairer to either agree if they think it's possible to be fixed with-in said figure.
Old 12 June 2012, 08:16 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Oh I see! Thanks for the clarification, hopefully the op's car will be back on the road soon.

There is green scoob being broken ebay mate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-GC8-STI-V3-V4-Boot-Lid-Spoiler-Green-Breaking-/160755699705?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item256dc94ff9

maybe you could use some panels from it.

Last edited by Sti Addict; 12 June 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12 June 2012, 08:46 PM
IfInDoubtFlatOut
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys
Don't know what the insurance side of things is doing yet but an independent bodywork guy came out and said he could pull out the dent and sort it for £300, do you think he will be able to do that or does it sound a bit dodgy? :S
Old 12 June 2012, 08:50 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

I could repair if I really had to BUT I would prefer and advise a new quarter panel tbho mate.
Old 12 June 2012, 08:57 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I have had this happen twice now, last month i was parked up in the bugeye when some old fart backed into me in the same place and fubard the pannel and scraped the bumper, webbs auto at rotherham pulled/filled and sprayed the pannel and bumper all for £250 top job well tbh its mint.
Old 13 June 2012, 12:02 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Lightbulb

Hi IfInDoubtFlatOut,

Sorry to hear that someone's hit your vehicle, especially after only 8 days.

You've really been unlucky there. But the main thing is that nobody is hurt, as the vehicle can easily be repaired.

Not covering the vehicle it's difficult to talk specifically, or to manage the claim for you. So i'll talk generally as to how things usually work.

Options wise, this will depend upon your cover with your Insurer.

If you are covered upon a TPF&T basis, you will need to claim directly from Sainsbury's Insurer.

With a company that size, they may even self Insure or have a big excess (£10k) to reduce premiums or they may have a stance of paying for damage up to a certain level.

Did the Sainsburys driver provide you with contact details of their Insurer, or a transport manager with them that could deal with this for you?

Also, did anyone witness the accident at the scene (or did you take any pics on your mobile) to support your version of events and confirm they hit you (just in case they query anything)?

If you're dealing with a Third Party Insurer directly, they will either request that you use one of their repairers (in the same way as one of their customers would) or would request that you forward estimates (usually two, but some Insurers accept one - so worth asking) from local garages to show the cost of repair.

Should it transpire that Sainsburys self-Insure, i'm guessing that they wouldn't have an approved repairer network and will follow the estimates route.

Once estimates are received from your chosen repairers, the third party Insurer (and presumably Sainsburys if they self-insure) will appoint a qualified engineer to manage the claim and assess whether the vehicle is beyond economical repair.

If the vehicle is deemed to be repairable, the Insurer would authorise either the garage that you had chosen (or their approved repairer - if they have one and the garage in question was acceptable to you) and they would carry out the repair for you.

Where the vehicle is classed as beyond economical repair (ie. damaged sustained is around 60-70% of the market value) they would usually class the vehicle as a category D (for vehicles with the least damage) write off and will look to pay you the market value of the vehicle (which the inspecting engineer would have been asked to calculate).

At this point, you could explain that you wished to retain the salvage and the Insurer would usually look for somewhere between 15-25% of the market value as the cost to retain the vehicle. Leaving you with funds to the tune of something like 75% of the vehicle value to organise the repair.

Whilst the claim directly from the Third Party Insurer would usually be an option, regardless of the cover that you have. If you're covered comprehensively for the car, you could look to claim via your own Insurer.

This would work in a similar way to listed above, but your own Insurer would fully manage the claim for you. Your policy excess would have to be paid if you claimed under your own policy, but this could ultimately be recovered from Sainsburys Insurer (or Sainsburys transport people if they self Insure).

Your Insurer would also have to recover their outlay separately from the Third Party Insurer (or Sainsburys) with the claim remaining outstanding upon your record (and NCB reduced, where not protected) until they had fully recovered their outlay.

The pictures upon twitter show the car looks like a really good example, so kudos to you for finding such a good one.

Whilst it's never nice to see the damage, luckily the dent is quite specific. It seems to have only impacted upon one panel, just missing the rear light and bumper. Which will help to keep the cost down.

Hopefully your Insurance provider has been really proactive for you in managing this for you, or that Sainsburys (or their Insurer) have got on the case swiftly.

But if you need any further detail, or would like anything explained i'd be happy to help

Kind regards (& best wishes for a swift fix of your Impreza)

Tony

Originally Posted by IfInDoubtFlatOut
Recently acquired a lovely Impreza Turbo 2000 as a family toy
Unfortunately 8 days later (today) a Sainsbury's truck decided to modify the bodywork for me..... the damage is purely cosmetic and the car works and drives fine.
Now i'm worried that the insurance company will write it off it is a really great motor and drives even better than it looks, someone previously has spent some money on it. Anyway i'm new to this forum (and Impreza's for that matter!) and would really appreciate some advice on what to do

Before...
https://twitter.com/VindosSpiritus/s...969153/photo/1

After the truck's treatment....
https://twitter.com/VindosSpiritus/s...134592/photo/1

Thanks in advance people.
Old 14 June 2012, 03:47 PM
IfInDoubtFlatOut
Scooby Newbie

Cheers tony, sounds like you know what your on about! Lol, the sainsburys driver did provide his details, unfortunate everyone else just carried on driving :/ the car has fully comprehensive insurance and we want to keep it.