Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Park Collision

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 08:02 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Park Collision

if any one can help please
10 days ago my girfriend reversed into a car parked on double yellow lines. hotel car park, she told the lady that she does not want insurance involved. her excess is 425. the womans husband has just phoned(no contact been made at all before) and said its been repaired and it was 450+vat and he wants his money.

where does she stand?

thanks
jim
Old 17 June 2007, 08:12 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

In fairness he has done what you asked. I would get him to send a bill through and if you still arent sure go and inspect the repaired damage (or get pics sent through)
Old 17 June 2007, 08:18 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Any point in arguing Jim if she's at fault?
Would have been nice for him to have approached you with estimates but chances are he could have said "here's the quote and its £450.00 plus vat. Either pay it or we'll go through the insurers" which puts you out of pocket by £425.00 anyway and an increase on your premium.

Truth is if you have accepted liability he's going to hold the upper hand. If you've not agreed that you're at fault then it may be worth trying to come to some form of comprimise.

No doubt he's making a few quid somewhere but the mrs is to blame and I'd be directing my anger at her rather then the other party. Best get her the bus timetable
Old 17 June 2007, 08:34 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

If it was perhaps an older car that your Mrs reversed into they may just want the money that the damage has de-valued it by, and not bother getting it fixed. Which is fair enough too.

I'd maybe politely ask for a copy of the repair bill and if they can't (or won't) supply then perhaps consider the damage that was caused & see if you can maybe get away with £450 cash (i.e. without the VAT)
Old 17 June 2007, 08:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
In fairness he has done what you asked. I would get him to send a bill through and if you still arent sure go and inspect the repaired damage (or get pics sent through)
As he said, butI would add that it seems a little steep and more than you where expecting so at that price you may have to go through the insurance. If he's scamming you I suspect he'll soon back down. Maybe also drop in the fact that the other car was parked illegally and that this contributed to the accident. Worth calling his bluff, you can always come back and agree to apy after a couple of days if it all seems above board.

What was the damage to the other car, can't imagine it being that much f you missus was just reversing from a parking space. I'd be asking what other work has he had done.
Old 17 June 2007, 08:46 PM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

if it was ten days ago and he has not told his insurance company or the police then i think you will find that, you have no duty to pay anything.
you have both broken the law by not informing the insurance company. he has no leg to stand on.....
saying that i would slip him £200 and tell him to be on his way...
Old 17 June 2007, 08:50 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that double yellow lines in a private carpark are not 'legal' double yellows, so the parked illegally isnt really an arguement.

Actually, how do insurance companies deal with accidents on private land as technically speaking you don't legally need insurace as its not a public highway ?

Anyway, I'd certainly ask for the bill and make sure it's itemised from a recognised repairer.
Old 17 June 2007, 08:57 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I hate to put a dampener on things but this happened to me in my old car.Again I had to trawl around the crash repairers, and take a couple of days holiday from work. After I had given them the quote of 400 pound they asked if I would take 300!!! I replied by telling them that I would take it directly to Renault and it would probably end up costing them about a grand. Suffice to say they coughed up the original quote! I think the victim should also get compensation as it is them who has to do all the running around!
Old 17 June 2007, 09:17 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=fbladerrv900;7029747]

you have both broken the law by not informing the insurance company.

thats got to be bolder dash has'nt it

surly sorting it your self is the grown up amicable way.
i know admiting responsiblity can jepodise your insurance but it can't be against the law.
Old 17 June 2007, 09:18 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

not informing the police if some one is hurt yes

leaving the seen yes

but surly not notifying your insurance

don't think there is a time limit

i'm willing to learn
Old 17 June 2007, 09:28 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

It was a private hotel carpark judging by the OP. So I doubt either the police or insurance companies would 'need' to be informed anyway ?
Old 17 June 2007, 09:35 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

double yellow lines don't matter.
You've still hit a stationary vehicle.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:28 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hotel car park doesn't matter either. Yes private ground but also public access.

Police were listed my bump in Tesco (bloke slammed his door into my car) as an RTA. If it has public access the police have juristiction (spell) apparently.

5t.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:45 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

OK its more than her excess, but she's going to save in the long run. Even if she has protected NCB, the figure that they start from (for renewal) will have increased if the insurance company have a recent fault claim on her notes.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:53 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

personally, i wouldnt pay the bloke a penny, he has not had the decency to let you have quotes, and lets face it, the car has been fixed now anyway, so what proof has he got, was there any witnesses?? the police or insurers were not involved, so tell him to get lost
Old 18 June 2007, 10:16 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
personally, i wouldnt pay the bloke a penny, he has not had the decency to let you have quotes, and lets face it, the car has been fixed now anyway, so what proof has he got, was there any witnesses?? the police or insurers were not involved, so tell him to get lost
I hope the next car she runs into is yours.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:04 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask him to provide a bill/receipt and then contact the garage and ask exactly what work was carried out as the price seems excessive.

Tell him the price was too high and that he should of made contact with you first before getting the repairs carried out.

Ask to see the repair and then check for 'other' recent repairs - fresh paint etc. People do try it on, but fair play to you mrs for being so honest.

I guess at some point you'll have to pay up.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:08 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Maybe also drop in the fact that the other car was parked illegally and that this contributed to the accident. Worth calling his bluff, you can always come back and agree to apy after a couple of days if it all seems above board.
I had it confirmed by the ins co. that you are still at fault even if the car is parked illegally.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:20 AM
Sammy Speakeasy
Scooby Newbie

Stop wasting time on here and pay up!
FFS he did what you asked and you are getting off lightly. If you, or he, goes to their insurers now, you will have £425 + NCB lost + higher premium next year. Don't go thinking you can wriggle out of this now, there will always be a record of your phone calls or something else to link you to the accident.

Some of the attitueds on this thread (eg wrxsti280) are appauling.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:20 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgersport
I hope the next car she runs into is yours.

i was simply saying that if he hadnt the decency to be as honest and upfront with them as they were with him, then they deserve a bit of their own medicine.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:28 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Get a copy of the bill and if it appears legit, then pay it.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:53 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

thanks for everything guys. the insurance can sort it out ive just spoke to the couple and i would rather shoot them than pay them
Old 18 June 2007, 05:19 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether she claims or not she is legally obliged to declare the accident to her insurers and at her renewal, they won't load the premium because she has claimed, but they will because she has had an accident. If she claims again and hasn't declared the accident, whether she claimed or not, the insurance company can refuse to pay future claims and then she will also have a mark against her name for insurance fraud. At least that is how I believe it works.