Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do's and donts of SORN

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 06:10 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do's and donts of SORN

know someone thats had a 'slap 'in the back of his motor.. he's got it on SORN at moment due to insurance paying him out as its a 'rare' ??? motor .. its a golf on a 'T' plate ffs?!?!? thing is,.. my lad wouldnt mind buying it as a project.any ideas how you go about this? is it just a case of informing DVLC of buying the car *sorn's are non transferable, i know* and taxing it.. damage seems to be limited to tailgate, rear 'flitch'?? panel and the bumper is bent to buggery .so it seems to be a 'do-er upper' rather than a major smash.

TIA

John
Old 22 September 2006, 06:20 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

buy the car the register in your name then get it sorn thu the dvla i think its thats simple
Old 22 September 2006, 06:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SORN is on the car, it lasts 12 months and is transferable (as its on the car not the person).
Buy the car, go though the usual info with DVLA, either re SORN it or find out when the SORN ends.
Have a read of www.dvla.gov.uk for more info on the subject

Tony
Old 22 September 2006, 06:24 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by howellsy42
buy the car the register in your name then get it sorn thu the dvla i think its thats simple
cool. thanks . would be getting it back on road be easy tho' as I say, its only fairly minor repear work on it..and my nipper has a possible buyer on his car already so wants it sorted asap kids eh,.. no patience
Old 22 September 2006, 06:27 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
cool. thanks . would be getting it back on road be easy tho' as I say, its only fairly minor repear work on it..and my nipper has a possible buyer on his car already so wants it sorted asap kids eh,.. no patience

has the insurance writen it off if so then you have to go down certain lines to get it back in the road i think you have to have it check over by vosa to say it road worthie again and then you may have problems insuring it

ps sorry about the spelling
Old 22 September 2006, 06:31 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

think it may have been ..the lad that owns it has been paid out by the insurers so that sets me thinking that it may well have been written off altho as said its fairly minor looking stuff Just trying to arm myself with as much info as poss before letting my nipper take a loan from the Bank of dad ( which I know he'll try)by Vosa would that be a local MOT station or would it be a more thourough check?
Old 22 September 2006, 06:35 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the rules havnt changed in the past few years, then if its a cat D write-off(cosmetic but beyond economical repair) then its just a case of re registering it through through the DVLA,insure it and away you go!!!-just like buying a straight car.Ive done this with a car and a motorbike before.

Not sure if its the same for a cat C write-off though.

Gary.
Old 22 September 2006, 06:37 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info, all.. least I can ask a few relevant questions now
Old 22 September 2006, 06:49 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
think it may have been ..the lad that owns it has been paid out by the insurers so that sets me thinking that it may well have been written off altho as said its fairly minor looking stuff Just trying to arm myself with as much info as poss before letting my nipper take a loan from the Bank of dad ( which I know he'll try)by Vosa would that be a local MOT station or would it be a more thourough check?
no it would mean a more detailed check its like when you import a car it has to be checked by vosa if they have paid out on it then yes its been writen off i would try and get an insuance quote first before you buy it it also depends what category it has on it more than likely it will be a cat c which means that it would cost to much to be put back on the road at garage prices and labour cost so they just pay out on it then but it can go back on the road it its a cat a or b dont go near it