Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance & Tracker Devices

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2001, 03:51 PM
8seconds
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have just bought a Turbo. When I was getting quotes earlier this year, the only requirement was a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser.

Bought the car last week and I am told that a Tracker is also required.

Shopping around, the insurers said 1 of the following

1. No insurance with Cat1 Alarm & Tracker

2. Very expensive without Tracker.

3. No Theft cover without Tracker.

Given that I am 35 with Full NCD, this was a bit of shock! I got a quote in excess of £2k.

I am getting a Tracker retrieve fitted for £279 with £99 annual cost.

Insurance is now a more sensible £550.

These are the the insurers who will insure or give a discount, according to Tracker
Old 03 August 2001, 02:18 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I've just had proactive Navtrak fitted for largely the same reason. Last year, without it, renewal was £650 at 4 years NCB. This year it is due Sept, will let you all know what I can find.

Simon.
Old 03 August 2001, 08:14 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Talking

Must depend on the area you live in, my car only has the standard CAT2 immobiliser, I've never been asked for a CAT1 or tracker, and the best I've been offered is a £15 reduction for fitting a CAT1, so at circa £350 it aint worth it.

Stuart
Old 04 August 2001, 03:27 PM
KENT SMITH
Scooby Regular

I OWN A 98 TURBO WITH WHICH I PAY £700 FOR MY INSURANCE,WITH CHURCHILL INSURANCE(OOOH YES)FULLY COMP.IT HAS A CAT 1 ALARM & IMOB,AND THEY DIDNT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A TRACKER.
Old 10 August 2001, 10:31 AM
8seconds
Scooby Newbie

My postcode is EH23 which is out in the sticks.

Hope you don't need a Tracker when you renew, but don't be shocked if you do.
Old 10 August 2001, 01:54 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

I just renewed (again!!) 10 days ago, and none of the companies I spoke to demanded a tracking device. Seems a bit strange as I live right in the middle of the city.

I will probably get a CAT1 system and/or tracker fitted anyway for peace of mind.

Stuart
Old 11 August 2001, 08:14 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

AXA Direct certainly weren't concerned about Tracker. They didn't even want any alarm/immobiliser over the standard MY98 Cat 2 failure More to the point, they wouldn't give me a discount when I put a Cat 1 alarm on
Old 12 August 2001, 01:46 AM
Toonman
Scooby Regular

Axa D. didn't give any discount for a Tracker. Best was, their renewal price was 103% higher than Tesco's brand new quote. They did want a Tracker though and proof of fitment.
Old 13 August 2001, 01:23 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi there,

I'm not surprised that many insurers want tracking systems fitted to Scoobs in order to give a sensible quote these days !! Many won't give a price at all if you don't have one !!

Unfortunately sooo many Scoobs are being nicked by scumbags out there that insurers feel that they need to give themselves the best possible chance of recovering the them.

As you may have seen from various posts on this bbs, a lot of scoobs seem to be stolen to order (bundled off and shipped abroad never to be seen again). Most of the thieves are smart and realise that the Cat1 systems are pretty hard to get around. They don't think anything of breaking in to your house and taking the keys (sometimes wandering into your bedroom and asking you for them !!), and all of this is costing insurers an awful lot of dosh... of course, one way of locating them before they do disappear for good is by having a tracker installed.

I get stats sent through every month from Tracker of how many vehicles they have recovered and its rather frightening to see how many Scoobs, Evos, etc.. appear on there...

Every insurer is different and you will find that the majority of the bigger insurers will have been stung by this in the past and will want you to have a tracking system fitted, and personally I don't blame them. I know its a pain in the **** having to fork out 250 to 300 spondoolies for one but I wouldn't feel at ease without one, wherever I was. When you see what a lot of people spend on mods and stuff I can't see why some moan when they have to fit security.

Personally I would recommend Navtrak Proactive. Its about £250ish fitted with annual costs of around £140ish on top.. it does the full mashings and doesn't break the bank !!

Unfortunately, it does seem to be a sign of the times that tracking systems are quickly becoming a requirement (...and big Tony wants the police to catch speeders !!) but, the more we can do to stop the thieving bu99ers the better !!

I'll get off my soap box now...

Glad you got it sorted in the end..

John
Schofield Insurance Brokers.