Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPP - did I say the right thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 10:23 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP - did I say the right thing?

I phoned Direct Line tonight to get a quote for a Type UK Sti Prodrive with PPP.

They asked me what category of modification it was, decided the best fit was "Engine Upgrade" and then told them the BHP increase. They then worked this out as a percentage (15%) and I fell into an '11%-20%' bhp increase.

Did I tell them the right thing? I know it's not just as simple as an Engine Upgrade having PPP but for insurance purposes was it correct ie I've told them how much the power has gone up and they whacked another 300 sods on! Seem ok? Any fellow Direct Liners with PPP??

....ps if I made a mistake, not an issue - don't own car yet!
Old 04 February 2005, 11:48 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try privilage (underwriter Direct Line)

dont enter reg number, this will then allow you to choose model etc (StiUK PPP is one of the choices)

Steve
Old 04 February 2005, 05:56 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Hi SCG I am with Direct Line - the WRX STI PPP is listed by them as (taken direct from the insurance docs) as Subaru Impreza 2.0T P/Drive WRX STI UK, checked it out several times and this is correct for the PPP pack so you don't then need to specify any further mods - the price for me was the same as an STI without PPP so I was very happy.
Old 04 February 2005, 05:59 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

When I had my STi PPP'd I told them it was an official dealer fit modification and that it boosted power by 11%, If I recall it cost me an extra 150 quid. Then I changed to a WR1 and the insurance halved from 1300 to 700

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 04 February 2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04 February 2005, 06:58 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
Hi SCG I am with Direct Line - the WRX STI PPP is listed by them as (taken direct from the insurance docs) as Subaru Impreza 2.0T P/Drive WRX STI UK, checked it out several times and this is correct for the PPP pack so you don't then need to specify any further mods - the price for me was the same as an STI without PPP so I was very happy.
Hmmm I'd be a bit dubious about this, sounds too good to be true. I know I asked a question on ScoobyNet a bit ago about PPP (as I was getting it confused with a standard Sti 'Prodrive') and the verdict seemed to be you definetly have to declare PPP as a mod. As you say iy comes up as P/Drive WRX STi UK when you pop an insurance quote in online - as I've done one, but I think an insurance company will DEFINETLY need to know it's got an extra 40 BHP!!
Old 04 February 2005, 07:02 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
try privilage Steve
Unfortunately I don't have 4 years no claims. Direct Line gave me a bonus year for being an experienced driver ie old! so if I stay with them I'll have 2 years in March, so I'm definetly going to go with them I just want to make sure I tell them the right thing. I don't know if I need to declare it as "exhaust mod" and "engine mod" I don't really want to end up effectively charged twice for PPP....but then again I want to make sure I'm covered!

How have other people declared this to insurers??
Old 05 February 2005, 11:12 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

OK SCG - up to you!!
Old 05 February 2005, 02:54 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Hmmm I'd be a bit dubious about this, sounds too good to be true. I know I asked a question on ScoobyNet a bit ago about PPP (as I was getting it confused with a standard Sti 'Prodrive') and the verdict seemed to be you definetly have to declare PPP as a mod. As you say iy comes up as P/Drive WRX STi UK when you pop an insurance quote in online - as I've done one, but I think an insurance company will DEFINETLY need to know it's got an extra 40 BHP!!
Agree. The Prodrive STi is a MY02 with different body kit and spoiler NOTa standard STi that has been PPP'd. The "Prodrive" moniker is often regularly mis-used on MY03's also on the delaer websites. Suggest you check as if SCG and I are right, you insurance is currently invalid (wrong car AND undeclared mods). The STi with PPP is NOT a model so PPP should always be declared as a mod.
Old 05 February 2005, 04:33 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

SCG

I'm with Direct Line and have an STi 7 'Prodrive Style' and have declared PPP as a mod. Listed as 'chipped management system' and 'exhaust change - performance upgrade'. Engine power increased by 11-20%. Added about £300 to the total.

Cheers
Si
Old 05 February 2005, 06:51 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by MBK
From this information I'm pretty sure you're not insured correctly. The Subaru Impreza 2.0T P/Drive WRX STI UK is more than likely the Prodrive Style STi, NOT the PPP. Someone in a call centre isn't going to know what it means, but the insurance assessor will easily be able to tell that your car is modified. The PPP is a performance increase which falls into the 11-25% band, AND an exhaust/back box change. The PPP will always be a modification and will not be listed as a standard car on their system (unless it's a WR1).
Speak to a supervisor, and GET IT IN WRITING! make sure it states Prodrive Performance Pack or PPP, NOT just the word 'Prodrive'!!
Old 05 February 2005, 07:03 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi_Si
SCG

I'm with Direct Line and have an STi 7 'Prodrive Style' and have declared PPP as a mod. Listed as 'chipped management system' and 'exhaust change - performance upgrade'. Engine power increased by 11-20%. Added about £300 to the total.

Cheers
Si
Yep, nice one think that's what I need to tell them. Forgot to mention exhaust to them. Think the price they quoted me will probably be the same as they stuck it down as "Engine Power Increased by 11-20%". Would be nice if they had PPP as a modification - must be plenty of cars out there with it and would stop a lot of uncertainty!
Old 06 February 2005, 04:33 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Anybody else hear that echo