Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write off query

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 07:16 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Write off query

Since my car was completely written off in August, I've had an offer from the third party's insurer offering me some money for my little car, which is a good 1000 quid less than what I insured it for.

I wrote back saying it was unacceptable and that, since my policy was priced according to the value of my car blah blah etc I want the full value it was insured for.

I've since received confirmation and I'm told in order to justify the increase I have to provide clippings of advetisements proving the value of the car.

Is it really up to me, the innocent guy that was nearly killed in the crash, to justify myself? I find it really quite out of order, I'm already heavily inconvenienced and now I have to do part of the insurers work for them. I've never had a car written off before so I know nothing.

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 15 December 2004, 08:53 PM
duart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevencotton
Since my car was completely written off in August, I've had an offer from the third party's insurer offering me some money for my little car, which is a good 1000 quid less than what I insured it for.

I wrote back saying it was unacceptable and that, since my policy was priced according to the value of my car blah blah etc I want the full value it was insured for.

I've since received confirmation and I'm told in order to justify the increase I have to provide clippings of advetisements proving the value of the car.

Is it really up to me, the innocent guy that was nearly killed in the crash, to justify myself? I find it really quite out of order, I'm already heavily inconvenienced and now I have to do part of the insurers work for them. I've never had a car written off before so I know nothing.

Cheers,
Steve.
Unfortunately that is the way it works and I suggest you trawl the autotrader website for similar models of car.Just because you had told your insurance company that it was worth £1000 more than you have been offered does not automtically mean it is worth that amount.to help justify he figures if you can show it has had recent major expenditure such as a respray or a new engine then this should support a higer value.Changing the oil or buying a new tyre or a bit of welding do not count as these are normal running costs.

Some extra itemsyou might be able to claim are :-

1- If the car could not be driven you are entitled to claim "loss of use" from the date of the accident until seven days after you received the settlement cheque at the rate of £60.00 per week
2- Again if the car was damaged so that it was undriveable I expect you had a decent amount of petrol in the tank so claim for 1/2 a tank.If you have a receipt to showyou filled it up a few mins before the ax then claimthe full tank.
3- If you needed to be towed into a garage provided then you have the receipt you can claim this cost.
4- You said you were nearly killed so if you were actually injured then consult a solicitor about claiming for this but if it was limited to brown trousers then just claim for dry cleaning !
5- If you can show you actually lost wages or income then claim for this
but documentary proof will be needed
6- Finally try claiming for the cost of phone calls and postage at say £35.00.If you can prove from a phone bill any costly phone calls then send a copy of the bill as part of the claim.

Hope you find this helpful.

duart
Old 15 December 2004, 10:49 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I was off work for a month counting my lucky stars. All the uninsured losses and medical stuff are catered for, I just wondered if it was normal to ask me to do it. It won't be hard to find lots of examples of lots of cars in a lesser condition for sale for more fortunately. I will have to make sure I add the cost of Auto Trader to the list for completeness

Thanks,
Steve.
Old 15 December 2004, 11:53 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Couple of months ago my car was written off. The insurance company came to me with a price based on values listed in Glasses and GAP. Had already looked at autotraders web site and was aware could get the same car again for the price but would have wider choice with another few quid in my pocket. Told the insurance company this and they said fine, just send them adverts etc and will agree to pay what I was asking for. Printed out a few adverts from autotrader (dealers always have cars listed at high prices) and dropped them at the garage where the car was. 4 days later received a cheque in the post for the amount I wanted.

Last edited by orbv; 15 December 2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 16 December 2004, 05:36 PM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

We had to do this a few years ago too, a friend told us to approach our main dealer and ask him to write a letter confirming the price that it would sell for if it was on their forecourt...obviously once we said we were looking for a replacement vehicle he was more than happy to help!

We did the same with autotrader as well, once everything was sent they paid almost immediately.
Old 18 December 2004, 12:42 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps

Steve.
Old 22 December 2004, 07:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Shouldn't your insurance company be doing this? They should fight on your behalf.........