Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AA Insurance, naughty tricks!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2004, 02:44 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AA Insurance, naughty tricks!

My brother is twenty one and decided to splash out on a new WRX, insurance permitting. He earns good money so didn't mind having to pay out but, wasn't going to bother if it was pathectically expensive.

He has insurance under our step dad due to his age and got an online quote from AA for £1300. He then phoned and double checked, explained he would be the main user etc and declared all extra's. Spoiler, headlight conversion, prodrive back box. Was guarenteed that the price was right. Paid a deposit on the new car which, he is due to pick up on the 1st. Phoned up to pay the insurance yesterday and AA say "oh we have it down as a GL"

After complaining they admit that he is right and they had originally quoted for a WRX, they even listened to the tape recording of the conversation with the person who gave the quote. They say however that the underwriters must have changed the car from a WRX to a GL when the quote went for checking.

How bad is that, he's now paid out £20500 and has to find another £2450 (The cheapest he can find elswhere).

The AA never phoned to tell him they would not be able to cover him at the agreed price. The first he would of known was when he paid in full and got the policy through. Im sure then he would of had to pay the AA alot more money to correct the problem!

Seems unfair, insurance companys can do what they want. Surely a quotation is a verbal contract, it's not like getting an estimate. If they quote a price they should stick to it!!

Anyone had similar?
Old 29 August 2004, 03:04 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I contacted the AA online for a quote on my WR1 an it was over £5600!!!

I also had a go on confused.com and Budget only quoted on the GL model, thought it looked a bit too cheap!

People on here may be able to suggest other places for him to try, how many years ncb does he have?

I found elephant.com, tesco.com and Bell Direct to quote at a reasonable level.

If he has no luck on herei'd see if the AA has a complaints proceedure. Failing that try the insurance ombusman.

Chris
Old 29 August 2004, 07:05 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

My STi UK was listed as a GL by quite a few insurance co's.

Try Direct Line. I know a few people are slating them on here but I really can't fault them. Very efficent service and a decent price (I'm 27 BTW)
Old 29 August 2004, 08:34 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

when i looked at buying a uk turbo i wanted my other half insured on it so we could both enjoy it me 27 her 20. we was getting quoted approx 3-5 k when some one came up with 1350 full comp, thinking what a good price we had it confirmed as correct and purchased the car only to discover when calling to take out policy the tw@t had only quoted for a SPORT and 1350 did not stand but put it up to 3k i said i had checked if the price was correct but they would not stick to it. so only me insured on the car.

my other half now drives a s1 elise an only pays 1300 full comp as the main user.

all insurance companies are a joke
Old 29 August 2004, 08:59 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought the GL is an European Term for a WRX Turbo IIRC

Liverpool Victoria are good but need to be over 25 with a Scoob IIRC
Old 29 August 2004, 10:12 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
I thought the GL is an European Term for a WRX Turbo IIRC

Liverpool Victoria are good but need to be over 25 with a Scoob IIRC
I think it's 25 on the classic shape turbo but 30 for the new age cars as they're group 19.

I hope i'm wrong though as i'd like a quote from them!
Old 29 August 2004, 11:20 PM
New_scooby_04

You're right, Chris: it's 25 for a classic and 30 for a wrx I'm afraid. If you're 21, the insurance on a wrx is going to hurt! I'm 27 and paying £1800 You should try admiral and direct line on the basis that they will pretty much quote for anyone, but it will be very expensive I'm afraid, would be very surprised if you managed a quote under 2 grand. Sorry! Best of luck though!
Old 29 August 2004, 11:33 PM
ScoobyDoobyDom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quote me happy?? ..Get fckuk'd!!

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
I think it's 25 on the classic shape turbo but 30 for the new age cars as they're group 19.
Just collected my MY01 WRX Bugeye on Friday night after progressing from a MY00 Turbo with PPP.

Called up Norwich Union Direct that evening and was unfortunate enough to have the call answered by the 'part-timer' student with poor english and the voice activated telephone mouthpiece too far away from her mouth, therefore only allowing me to hear bits of poorly strung words at whisper volume!! ANYWAY...
Gave all the details so she could transfer the policy, only to be put on hold for nearly 10 minutes, and for her to return and say they wanted another £350 odd pounds extra AND another £150 to my excess!!
When I challenged this, she said its because Im moving to a group 19 from a GROUP 10!! Yes, a group 10!! Now, we all know a Scooby aint a group 10, nevertheless, that didn't help me much and when I told her words to the effect of ..'keep your policy' she then politely asked if there was anything else she could be of assistance with!! Thanks but,..Medontthinkso.

Got on the internet after that phonefarse and Tesco quoted me £970. f/comp
which turns out to be half of what Norwich Union wants in total for my WRX.

Im 27 with 6 years no claims, CLEAN driving license and one non-fault accident, me only to drive.

Girl at Norwich union did say that all drivers had to be over 25 for the new age Scoobs, and its a gp19.. then again, she also thinks a MY00 Turbo is a gp10. Bless.