Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of a claim

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2004, 08:41 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For those who work in the industry.
If I was to make a claim on my policy (full NCD protected) for repairs to a very minor bump, how would this affect my next year's premium? Does the cost of the claim count towards the increase in premium or is it simply a case of a claim is a claim?

Thanks in advance.

Blobster

By the way the damage is to rear bumper and also (though I didn't realise) the rear panel. I was expecting to fork out £400/500 for a new bumper, but with the rear panel I'm looking at £1000+
Old 17 January 2004, 08:59 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression it was approx 20% more. If you want a more accurate figure email me and I'll ask my bird when she's back from work, she's works for LV as a negotiator and has worked in insurance for years.
Old 18 January 2004, 02:04 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

20%

Looks like I'll warm up the credit card.

Blobster
Old 18 January 2004, 08:38 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Depending on the size of the claim outlay having a bearing on the premium, will depend on the company your with.

The premium you pay starts off as a 'Base rate', after this most of the questions they ask you will have a bearing on this rate (1 of these being if you have made a claim), either having a certain percentage added or deducted. Then at the end of this calculation what ever premium it is, your NCD discount is Deducted, then the 5% tax is added and you get your final premium.
20% is the average you will lost if you don't have protected no claims discount, as you have this, you will retain your full percentage discount.

simb

[Edited by simb 2 - 1/18/2004 8:42:02 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 08:32 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

World's slowest response...

..I have just realised the 20% mentioned is referring to lost NCD, however I have full, protected NCD and was simply wondering what the effect of a claim would do to the 'Base' premium - before any deduction for no claims?

Any further suggestions?

Was wary of discussing direct with Ins co. in case they decide to load the premium anyway as I would be kind of admitting to an accident.

Blobster
Old 01 February 2004, 11:07 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
My post answer's your question. The base rate is the figure given before any deductions or loadings are taken into account.

simb
Old 19 February 2004, 09:21 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Going through this myself.

Wife backed into a parked car. Damage to both minimal. Suggested to other party to do it off insurance, which they seem happy to do initally.

Anyway, following a quote from local insurance body shop, were bumper, bonnet and interior re-trim is now required (nearly!) they want to do it through insurance as it will take 3 days and they want a hire car also.

Phoned up Tesco to find out, and based on this years policy (full protected NCD) it would have been 50 quid more. She said it would have been nothing if it was not an Impreza!

So, for the sake of less than 400 quids worth of work (which is my excess) it will cost that plus 50 quid extra for the next 5 years!

And the funny thing is, wife is blaming me for having the Scooby now and the fact the insurance is a hassle for her! I suggest using the rear view mirror which all Impreza's are fitted with next time!!!!!!!!
Old 19 February 2004, 11:27 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was backed into just after Christmas, and my ins is up for remnewal next week, I had a quiote through thenpost from L&V, and I rang them, told them about the recent incident, which was in no way my fault, and the cost went up £40!! Shouldn't have altered really seeing as it wasn't my fault, but there ya go, thats insurance for ya!!
Old 20 February 2004, 01:36 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

If you have a protected no claims bonus then making a claim should not have an effect upon your ncb rating or premium. If your ncb is NOT protected then yes, the knock back can be around 20% of the base rating (ie before any other variable factors / loadings / discounts are calculated into your premium).

Be warned though. Insurers vary, but on the whole they allow 2, maybe 3 claims (both fault & non fault) to be made on the policy in, on average, a 2 year period before your "protected" ncb is effected, and if you change insurers you may receive a higher premium quote from the prospective insurer because of the "claim history".

Regards, Ian