Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Insurance = Rip off

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 09:25 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Insurance = Rip off

Having gone through my first major claim (write off) I can safely say I f@cking hate car insurance. I had my mint scooby for 8.5 months, paid £12.5K for it, bought wheels, exhaust and they are only willing to give me £10.5K back. So back to a bog standard scooby for me.
Old 19 February 2004, 09:43 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Don't take first offer. If you had the mods insured, get quotes to replace, also show them adverts from autotrader etc for cars of similar age.

Of course if they didn't know about the mods, I'd take the money and run!!
Old 19 February 2004, 01:08 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

I rejected their first offer of 10K so they said 10.5K. They will not go any higher. I may be getting my wheels + exhaust back on Monday. Standard insurance only covers current market value. Market value can be quite different between cheap private cars and quality dealers cars but they don't seem to care. I send them 25+ cars like mine priced at £11K+ but they don't care because their engineer gave them that figure. I've got no chance of fighting it. My advice, do not pay over the "which car" value for you next motor OR get an agreed value insurance policy OR don't write off your car.
Old 20 February 2004, 01:45 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

It's sad to say but unless you have a policy that states it covers the replacement cost of modifications most, if not all, insurers will only cover the car as a complete package based upon the standard factory equiped specification, as after all you have not asked for a policy that replaces modded parts.

Insurers who quote & cover modded cars are doing so at a higher premium because the overall car is more desirable or more of a risk etc - not to cover mods on a new for old basis. Additionally, things like brakes, exhausts etc are viewed as "consumerbles" and whether they are uprated or not, do not increase the insurable value of the car........

Regards, Ian