Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance. Can they do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2002, 05:52 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the middle of May I got a quote for my STi over the phone with a local insurance co. Last week I got a telephone call from them asking for me to confirm it was an import. When I did, they said they no longer accept imports as new business but since they had quoted, they would do so in this case.
Imagine my surprise then ! when I got a letter today telling me that there had been a misquote and in fact my premium was more than double the quote. Seems they thought I had a Uk car and not an import. I know that my better half gave them the correct details over the phone but since they don't record their calls there is no proof one way or the other.

Given that they received the 'paper' quote (with verifiable correct details) on 11th June, can they do this?
A case for the ombudsman?
What would have happened in the event of me having an accident?
Robbing b@st@rds.
Not a happy bunny tonight.

Ken
Old 02 August 2002, 12:01 AM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

How much are they charging?

Wasn't Kestrel was it? They wanted £1500 for the my01 wrx

I know someone with an import GT4 and they used to spend about 3 hours trying to get a Manx insurance firm to insure them cheaply.
Old 02 August 2002, 11:47 AM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

It was Tower. They quoted me £650 with £100 excess but the new quote was £1300 odd with £500 excess ! Clearly they do not want the business.
They have been on the phone this morning and offered to 'split the difference' (about £900) but they have caught me at a bad time: I am off Island for a week as of tonight so I haven't got time to get much in the way of quotes today. Who are you with and how does it compare? Bear in mind I now have 2 bike accidents to declare in 4 months! It's been a bad year !

As an aside, because of my accident I let a friend take the scooby out yesterday for a run because keeping it sat in the garage isn't doing it any good. I think we have another convert !

ken
Old 02 August 2002, 12:50 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

If you need a test driver Ken.....

wen't with Privilege insurance as i tend to take the car to the UK quite a bit, and so do not want any problems with off island claims.

I've got myself and 4 others listed against the insurance and its still about ~700
Old 02 August 2002, 12:59 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, will give them a try as soon as I get back on the rock.
May well take you up on the offer of giving the car a run every now and then, it needs to keep the wheels turning !

ken
Old 02 August 2002, 01:14 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

it needs to keep the wheels turning !
Tell me about it, I used to leave the o1 WRX in Birmingham airport, and had to leave it there for three weeks one time....it was not a very happy bunny until it got to the M40.