Sponsored by:

2 cars at the same time ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2001, 05:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody any experience of owning and running two cars at the same time under the same name. I want a cheap runabout to do all the leg work with and leave where I wouldnt dare leave the scoob .

If have a questions which I cant seem to find the answers to

1) No claims bonus - I guess I can only use this on one car and obviously it would be on the scoob. But what happens if there is a claim against my second car on separate insurance. Would it affect my no claims bonus on the scoob ?

2) Looking for an non EVO cheap to insured small(ish) probably a diesel. I want to put it on the road taxed and insured for about 2-2.5K any ideas ?

cheers

chris
Old 30 November 2001, 05:05 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

At Bell direct you can have full no claims on a second car if you insure the first with them (and have full NCB)
Then you just get yourself protected no claims as per usual.
Sweet!
Old 30 November 2001, 05:08 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I run a Scoob (STI5) and another car as a day-to-day runabout (otherwise I was putting to many miles on the Scoob). The first runabout was a Skoda Felicia (only because I was also rallying one at the time, and the runabout doubled as a recce and chase car), but now it's a Ford Focus.

You're right about NCB - one per car, so you're starting from scratch on the other car. My understanding is that a claim on one car will not affect the other NCB, but I haven't tested this out.

Old 30 November 2001, 05:10 PM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

Chrisp,

I run 2 cars to keep the mileage down and keep the Scoob in nice nick. Most insurance companies will give you an introductory discount if you have full no claims on another car. I think I was offered 30%.

I'm in the Scoob today, it's P*ssing it down, the roads are flithy and I haven't washed the car for 2 weeks. Looks like i'll be busy this weekend.

Kev S
Old 30 November 2001, 05:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

You can always register the car in the name of a friend who happens to be a car trader.

He can tax it for you (with your money) as he is insured to drive any car owned by him. You can then legally drive this car around on your own third party get you home policy.

It isnt ideal and doesnt cover you on your insurance against theft. Thats why my second car is only £500 and if anything happens to it, I dont care, so I wont be claiming off is insurance if its nicked.

In fact its going soon. anyone want a truly knackered 205 gti. I mean shagged, absolute heap, but somehow still has about six months mot.
Old 30 November 2001, 05:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I have run 2 or more cars in the past and Lancaster insurance let me "mirror" my no claims and use it on both cars. Didn't smash em up though to find out what happen to me no claims (knew I forgot to do something )

[Edited by paulpalmer - 11/30/2001 5:14:21 PM]
Old 30 November 2001, 05:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just phoned my curent insurance company and they have answered question 1. No problem they will give me 40% no claims as a starter and the policies are independent ie a claim on one does not effect the other which is cool.

Just need to find a car now

cheers