Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do about my claim??

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2001, 03:14 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Got a claim going through and im in court on the 5th of Dec because the police are taking this bloke to court for leaving the scene and not reporting accident, car was parked up I was coming out of shop and seen him reverse into my car denting rear boot lid (which ive replaced cos it looked a mess) and scrached bumper, he drove off and ive got an independent witness.
Now my insurance runs out on the same day as court case and its gone from £660 last year to £1150, should i cancel the claim and get my NCB back cos i need it for other insurers, its nearly a year and my insurance (Equity Red Star through Lancaster who said to me why are you still claiming if you have replaced boot - tossers) havent even got a reply out of their insurance.

Should I cancel the claim and after court case chase up his insurance myself.
Old 29 November 2001, 03:28 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Not absolutely certain, but if you have an outstanding claim (regardless of fault) when you're renewing, you'll find your NCB 'disappears'. When the claim is settled, I think you get a refund on the difference. Best bet is ask your insurers to see if this is true.
Old 29 November 2001, 03:48 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Let your current insurers continue to pursue the claim. Get a quote elsewhere and explain that the claim is ongoing but you were not at fault. Change insurers to the one with the best price/service you want. Your new insurer should understand that it should be a no fault claim.

Your claim will rumble on until it is settled. You are in a strong position, you have a witness, your car was parked.Once the claim is settled, pursue the guy for your excess. Your previous insurers will have to do this for you as the claim happened when you were insured with them.

You will need to provide the receipts for the repair you carried out on your car so that you can reclaim the money. If you are unable to do this drop the claim as it will be endless hassle.

I am not an insurance bod, but my car was damaged within the past 18months and my insurance renewal went up, i changed insurers and let the claim rumble on as above. In the end, my car was repaired,my excess and costs for emergency repairs were met. (new windscreen,number plate,driving light covers)and I retained my full NCB.

Trust this helps

Beastie
Old 29 November 2001, 03:49 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

How can u cancel the claim? You only have a 'claim' if you recieved a payout from your insurers. It sounds like you have fixed the car and are claiming off the other party??
If you've already had money from your own insurance company then I think 'canceling the claim' won't be possible...
Chuck
Old 30 November 2001, 12:48 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

thanks for info
Old 30 November 2001, 09:35 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said, but I had this a few years ago when I had to court cases pending (won both - both of the other parties bottled it and paid out in full at the last minute).

Let your current insurance co continue with that claim
Shop around for the best quote - tell them about the claim and case pending. This will knock your no claims back by 2 years and mean you pay more but you will get a full refund for the difference when your no claims are re-instated.

Gordo
Old 09 December 2001, 02:04 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Well, in court last week and got adjourned again, phoned around and went with churchills £1010.
Now the person im claiming off is with churchill so i told them if i droped claim would they give me a discount (claiming about £1200 damages and with 7rs NCB it would be £790), they were having none of it. So im continuing with claim.