Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips to reduce premium

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 11:54 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what I would like to see here is a list of things people have found to reduce their premium.

I am thinking things that you can do something about like
voulantary excess
garaged overnight
limited mileage
Cat 1 alarm
tracker

Not things like
" move to the outer hebrides and become a sheep herder"

[Edited by n5pug - 7/11/2002 11:58:06 PM]
Old 12 July 2002, 10:11 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

I know this sounds strange and I don't understand why but.............

Sometimes if you add your partner to your policy it can go down. Obvoiusly depends on situation.

can anyone in the know explain

J
Old 12 July 2002, 10:46 AM
JayCole
Scooby Regular

I had the same happen when I added my bird to my policy. It went down nearly a grand (ok I also had another years NCB) - Think it's something to do with women 'being better drivers' in the eyes of insurance companies. They are less likely to crash and all that.

It's something like that anyway. Also goes down abit if you have use of another car.
Old 12 July 2002, 12:08 PM
melon
Scooby Regular

Hi,
First time my premium reduced for adding the wife I tried to point out the mistake to the broker 'surely it must go up?' They tried to justify it by insurers assuming that by being married you must be more more responsible and of course want to be a 'safer' driver due to the long term commitment to my partner!!
Don't question it just get married to reduce your premium
Seriously though it don't make much sense to me, with my recent quote from LV adding the wife didn't change it at all
melon
Old 12 July 2002, 12:10 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I heard it was simply because they view women drivers as a lower risk which seems strange because they dont know how much/little they will actually be driving the car.

Of course the simplest way to reduce your premium is move to low risk area, grow old and buy errr.....a lada samara or something!

Gary
Old 12 July 2002, 12:27 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Also no subsitute for ringing around to get quotes and pushing it down that way.............

Also dump anything on the policy you don't want to get the price down .... Recovery service, greencard etc

I would suggest keeping legal cover and possibly protected no claims is a good idea. Depends on circumstances.

For my bike protected for me would have added £90 to the policy, I didn't take it cos if I claim they would remove one years no claims.

J
Old 12 July 2002, 12:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
understate your annual mileage
any security cameras where u park for work?

both reduce premiums, well they did for me

Old 12 July 2002, 02:16 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
yep, if you have a mortgage it helps, if you insure your partner on it it helps (unless she's 17 but hey I'd pay extra on my premium for that scenario). Don't know if its the responsiblity issue or the woman driver that gets it down - get them to stick mum on the policy and see what happens. Some like non-smokers! Your job description sometimes has an effect - have a play with direct lines online quotes, obviously lying isn't on but if you MANAGE to get to work on time...

Heres a good one, if you ask to raise the excess by £50 the premium sometimes comes down by more! say £60. So if you claim you save £10, if you don't claim..... Ask to have your NCB non protected as well.

Justin
Old 12 July 2002, 02:56 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

So your saying if i stick the dodery old dear down as a named driver (not that I would let her drive it :-) ) same surname cos it's me mum, they think its the partner and reduce premium....cool
she's got shed loads of no claims bonus
Old 13 July 2002, 10:37 PM
adamm
Scooby Regular

The way it works is that they increase the premium slightly for having an additional driver, then if the additional driver is a better risk, they apply a discount as they know that some of the time the car will be driven by a lower risk driver....
Old 14 July 2002, 04:30 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Question

Putting my folks on my policy put my premium up to £1200 from £1000 with Privilege

J