Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valuation of a write-off

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2002, 06:31 PM
hugh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Sti 3 5-door was rear-ended hard on a motorway in Belgium last night, and although it is yet to be assessed, it will be written off as the shell is bent like a banana and only the driver's door opens.

I forsee a load of hassle in getting a fair valuation for the car. Especially as it has around £6k (new cost) of aftermarket brakes, suspension, engine and exhaust mods.

At the time of insuring the car I declared it was modified, but the insurers were not interested in specifics, only how much more power than standard it was.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation?
Old 07 July 2002, 08:11 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep! Been there, though my car was standarder - but unusual - hence I felt worth a lot.

Basically, they asked for - original invoice. In my case this was good because Id only had it a short while so could argue it would have cost me very nearly what I paid for it.

However, you can fight your case with: pictures of it looking mint, valuations from the web ie autotrader and paper ones from mags etc - try to find some high prices. Also all the reciepts etc youve spent on it.

Check your small print, they may say they will pay what it would cost for you to replace the same car "today" so find the cost of all the bits and then the cost of the standard car and put them together. Dont accept the first offer unless it is good.

You may be ok, my insurers actually made me a very sensible offer when I exopected them to take the p1ss.

good luck

andy