Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Accident, damage will write-off car, advice needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2003, 08:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Hiya All

Betcha thought it was the Scooby??!! Aha, well it isn't!!

Its the wifes car, not worth much according to the book - BUT worth loads to us!! 2 Owners, 60,000miles, all genuine, Blah, Blah, Blah .... you know how a car is worth more than its cash value!!

Well, she was in the Golf Course car park stood at the car with her door open. A Land Rover, woman driver, reverses straight into the end of the open door!!!

Door is damaged but operates ok. I estimate the cost of repair - maybe a new door and repaint will cost more than the car is worth .... making it a write-off and the ladies insurer paying us the market value, which isn't what I want at all - as we couldn't replace it like for like!!

So?? Assuming that Direct Line take the car for repair and say its beyond economical repair, therefore, they say we will pay you its market value ..... will we ever see the car again??

What if I allow them to write it off?? If I buy it back as scrap and carry on using it as its actually perfect to drive - what happens?? Is it on the black-list??

What the hell do I do????

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 08:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

try to sort it out with the woman who crashed into you without going through the insurance if its not too late. That would be my advise.
what car is it anyway?
Old 10 July 2003, 08:45 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

I felt sorry for her until you mentioned the "GOLF CLUB"...hope its a write off ..lol jon
Old 10 July 2003, 08:45 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

not sure if this helps but I was in a similar position when my 1st car had an accident last year, it was a G-plate Micra in mint condition and with only about 36K on the clock (it had 23k when I bought it)

It had a bump but was driveable (if a little dinged) and because of the low market calue of th car it was written off, after some discussions with the insurers it was discovered that there is two types of write off (at least operated by my then insurers Endsliegh), one where its completely fcuked and you don't get the car back and the other where you can have the car back and are given a settlement of the market value minus the scrap value of the car. If you are wanting to keep the car then this would be something seriously worth considering. I think it would trash the resale value of the car, but only in the same way a normal "accident repaired car" would since the way this works the car is not actually scrapped.

As regards the issue of "market value" we were offered basically naff-all for the car so we complained citing the condition of the car, and that to buy a car in similar condition wold be more than that. Eventually faced with examples of "as near as we could find" from autotrader they relented and couched up more cash. So if I were you I would start hunting through autotrader et. al. and be prepared for this. Stick your ground on it, they are always trying to do you out the "true" value of a car in these sort of circumstances.

Good luck mate - keep us posted.
Old 10 July 2003, 08:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

Jonny32 - for your info. she was at the Golf Course to sort out a placement for a school pupil!! NOT, repeat, NOT to play a round (well, I hope she doesn't play around )!!

The market value of the car is about £400!! Thats all, we paid a lot more because it was unique .... it had 1 elderly owner, very low mileage, smelt like my gannies house did inside!! A totally genuine straight car that has given her 2 1/2 years excellent motoring!!

I reckon the damage has knocked the value down to about £200'ish - you can't get lower than that can you?? with a MOT and perfect running order??

You reckon its worth asking the woman to blame whether she would like to pay for the loss in value instead of going through insurance and registering a claim + her excess is probably £150 at least??!!

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 09:01 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

Ahhh I see ..hope its repairable....jon
Old 10 July 2003, 09:02 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is this the MX5?
Old 10 July 2003, 09:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cheeky Bu99er!!!! Find me a MX-5 for £400 please, you will get a nice 'cut'!!

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 09:08 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Claim against her, buy the car back at scrap value, fix it yourself. If you then get the car inspected and re-mot'd, you should then be able to get an agreed value for the car in the event of any future claims.

Muf

edit coz me no spel gud

[Edited by Mufasa - 10/07/2003 21:10:03]
Old 10 July 2003, 09:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It would pass an MOT easy - so, would it need re-MOT'ing to put back on the road?

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 09:52 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

has to be tested "by the ministry" as well nowadays if you want to put a cat c/d write off back on the road.

sentimental about a 400 quid car? bin it and buy your missus summat decent, you only live once and you have your missus driving around in an old nail?

Old 10 July 2003, 09:55 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

The re-mot is just another means of proving it's roadworthiness after the repair has been completed.

My mate had his old BMW 320 stolen, it was his granddads car and had much more sentimental value than insurance value. They recovered the car and he claimed on his insurance for the repairs, but new bits would have taken months to source from Germany and they wanted to write the car off. He chose to take a cash sum from his insurer and repair the car himself with good 2nd hand parts. He asked the insurers about the future value of the car, they told him that as long as he sent them a copy of an mot for the car that was passed after the car had been repaired, the car would be valued at what it was before it was stolen.
Old 10 July 2003, 09:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Why is it an old nail????

I am puzzled????

Its in superb condition, pre-accident, the wife does 1500miles a year!! Why buy anything else??

Some people have some weird ideas!!

If a cat c/d write off needs re-testing then what about a cat a/b??

Pete

Whats, 'Tested by the Ministry'?? Whats the cost?? I don't get this - a dent in the door causes a write-off, ministry test, re-MOT, blah blah blah!! Its all cr4p ain't it??

[Edited by pslewis - 10/07/2003 21:59:25]
Old 10 July 2003, 10:08 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pete...the same thing happened to me last year.A car backed into my Astra.......repair quote £1100,car value £1000.But to me it was worth more.Anyway Direct Line (who were brill btw) said i could either have it repaired or have the £1100,it was up to me.

So i took the £1100,kept the car..(what did they want with the car anyway) got a new bonnet excatly same colour s/hand for £40,and got a retired bodywork guy (mate of a mate)with a jig in his garage,thats right.his hobby was straightening cars.....to fix it for £60.

Did a great job and on a car only worth now £500 who cares if its not perfect.It drives just as good,mot and road legal.Plus made about a grand profit....
Old 10 July 2003, 10:11 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Cool

What if I allow them to write it off?? If I buy it back as scrap and carry on using it as its actually perfect to drive - what happens?? Is it on the black-list??

What the hell do I do????

Do what i did Pete...
Old 10 July 2003, 10:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

South Star - did you have to re MOT it?? BEFORE it went back on the road??

The wifes car isnt twisted or nowt, dented door is all!!

However, the cost to repair WILL cost more than the car is worth!!

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 10:14 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

From what i read your wifes car is still driveable so this write off/blacklist stuff dont come into it.Its classed as an uneconomic repair only.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

I see, thats made me rather happier!!

It will NOT be registered as a write off then??

Pete
Old 10 July 2003, 10:18 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

South Star - did you have to re MOT it?? BEFORE it went back on the road??

No..why should i have to.All i had was a dented bonnet,and pushed in (approx 6 inches) front valance.Radiator still worked okay and driveable.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:22 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It will NOT be registered as a write off then??

Mine isnt.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:24 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Cool

The only other repair needed was a dent on the corner...

Old 10 July 2003, 10:24 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Smile

I thought your concern was the car's value after you have repaired it. If you don't give a flying toss about it's value after repair, then don't bother with a new mot or trying to persuade the insurance company about it being as good as new.
Take the money, patch it up, and keep driving it, you will not be out of pocket, and you still have the car you had before!!

Pretty damn sure you don't need have an inspection to take a cat d write off back on the road.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:35 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Smile

A. A vehicle which should be totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
B. A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the body shell should be crushed and the car should never return to the road.
C. An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could potentially be repaired to a high standard.
D. A damaged vehicle that the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
F. A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

There is a check called a VIC, carried out by the Vehicle Inspectorate, it's a vehicle identity check. (To make sure you haven't cut and shut it you dodgy geezer )
As to roadworthiness, if you have any doubt to it, then that is taken care of by an MOT.

Old 11 July 2003, 12:01 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

mine was a cat c/d write off and I didn't need any new MOT's or checks to take it back on the road. I didn't even have to repair it as it was perfectly driveable.
Old 11 July 2003, 12:21 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

you dont have to re mot a car to put it back on the road but you will have to pay for a vehicle identity check which is not the same as an mot test.
just claim the womans insurance although it will be your insurance which pays out ! they will then claim it back from hers!
your car is worthless to them anyway if you have it at home dont let them move it tell them to come and assess it and you will most likely be told to dispose of it yourself then you just buy a door!
Old 11 July 2003, 12:24 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

the v.i.c. is now compulsory for all repaired vehicles regardless of dammage it is just another tax on us !
Old 11 July 2003, 12:35 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

the v.i.c has been introduced to stop insurance fraud.

previously salvage cars were being purchased and then insured but not repaired. they were then waiting 6 months and then claiming on the insurance although they hadn't done sod all to repair it in the first place.

it applies to all categories of damage.
Old 11 July 2003, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you would be better off to approach the woman and persuade her to pay privately for the repair. tell her she would not lose her NC Bonus by doing that and thus would not risk antagonising her insurance company. Insurance companies are like "The Authorities", the less they know about you the better. They also never forget and will use it as an excuse to do you down in the future even if you were in no way to blame. When the repair is done you need no test to be able to use the car again.

Les
Old 11 July 2003, 12:58 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Question

what's the cost of a VIC just out of interest?

kev
Old 11 July 2003, 02:02 PM
Waspy
Scooby Newbie

This shouldn't be a problem,
either take the cash from the lady with the landrover (she may prefer it that way anyhow) or make a claim against her and state that you want to keep your car, as long as it isn't dangerous her ins co should pay you out an agreed sum it is then up to you to repair it.

As the accident was her fault you could take it up with her ins co without involving yours (just inform them of this tho')

Your car wont need another mot!

Just dont let the Ins co browbeat you, although Direct Line are usually pretty good in our experience (I own a bodyshop in essex)
www.sinclairebodyshop.co.uk
Ultimately you could always threaten them with an Accident Management co this often speeds things up we find

Gill
@Sinclaire

Quick Reply: Accident, damage will write-off car, advice needed!!