Sponsored by:

Rob Dogs..... Insurance/valuation - help/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2004, 07:47 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rob Dogs..... Insurance/valuation - help/advice please

A few of you may have seen my post a couple of days ago about my friend who has crashed his Impreza. Car details are :

2001 X Plate WRX Wagon in WR Blue
46000 miles
Dealer Fit Modifications:
Morrette Headlights
18" 10 spoke OZ alloys in Anthracite with P-Rosso Tyres
Prodrive Springs and geometry

Other Mods:
Tracker
Rally style Mudflaps
Godspeed 4 pot front brake conversion/upgrade
Scoobysport Backbox

Replacement cost of these modification parts £4500 approx. (all parts declared with insurer)

Damage to car is collision on back driver side rear corner with other car, and front end into a bank.

Dealer reckons £4000 of parts before labour is added :Q

They also reckon it's a right off as market value is only £7000 How do they justify this based upon the following:

A bit of research at www.subaru.co.uk reveals several Standard Cars of similar age and mileage are £11-13k.

Parkers and What car reckon the valuation is £9000 trade in value, £10000 dealer price/market value (for a standard car).

Obviously there are significant differences between the dealer "valuation" and market value for a standard car, let alone one of comparable specification.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to move this forward and get an agreeable solution ?
Old 18 November 2004, 07:53 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

you need to refuse the offer by letter, also go on to explain that you think the price is to low. Buy your self autotrader and cut out as many adverts as you can (high priced ones will be best) and send them in as proof that the car is worth more than their offer.

i had the same problem with a bike i wrote off in the end i got 2k more than there first offer but it was not as much as i had paid (by £1500) only 66 days b4.

Last edited by donutman; 18 November 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 18 November 2004, 07:54 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

they only help I can suggest is to gather as much proof of the value, spec etc of simular models and present them to your insurance company. Tom Butler (Rum) of Schofield Insurance might be able to help with some more suggestions.

All insurers offer a crap 1st valuation imho so fight back at them with proof.

hope this helps
Simon
Old 18 November 2004, 07:57 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Yeah, have got valuationd from Autotrader website, parkers website and also some details of comparable cars currently for sale on Subaru website and semt all this to him.
Old 18 November 2004, 08:04 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

My Volvo T5 was written off the day after I sold it. The owner had every receipt for the car since new.When he brought this to the attention of the assessor he ended up getting £2000 over book price. Make sure the assessor knows everyting about the car...treat the whole thing like selling a house to get the best price. IF THE OFFER IS LOW REJECT IT!!!!!!