Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Where to install 10-disc Kenwood Changer?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 12:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hanslow,

I did they very same thing myself, but my Alpine CD changer keeps jumping and actually ejects the magazine. This is even over the slightest of bumps and not any serious pot-holes.

What type of rubber did you put around the edge and where did you get it? Before I made my own MDF circle the changer just lay next to the rear seats in the boot with only the changer cable keeping it from sliding all over the place. Never skipped once then!

It's driving me mad, so I'd like to get it sorted before resorting to screwing it onto the rear seats.

Stefan
Old 06 September 2001, 09:59 AM
AlPro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've already got a Kenwood Head Unit and 10-disc changer. Tried installing it in my MY99 under front passenger seat - not enough room - it's too tall. Even if it fitted, it also severely restricts rear legroom.

Found a place in the boot above the chassis just behind rear seats but I am not sure if this is the best place.

Anybody been here before?

Al
Old 06 September 2001, 11:00 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mine's mounted in the spare wheel under the carpet on a 16.5" mdf circle. Keeps the boot nice and tidy.

You need some rubber round the edge of the circle if you do this, to stop the wood on metal making the CDs jump.
Old 06 September 2001, 01:30 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

I used some 1cm thick pipe lagging stuff that comes as a tube with a split in it. Cut a strip off length ways about 2cm wide and then staple gunned it to the outside edge of the board, with a bit overlapping underneath.

The staples are so far in they won't touch the spare wheel rim. No problems with it so far (touch wood).

My mate has used some rubber sheet thats about 1cm thick and put squares that overlap the bottom edge and the side.

Mine used to jump, but hasn't done since I exchanged the draught excluder sticky stuff (which got flattened) to some more resistant foam rubber.

I got the stuff from do it all. Pack of about 6 pipe lagging tubes, each about a metre in length.
Old 06 September 2001, 03:39 PM
AlPro
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

That is a damn fine idea. Both the MDF and the rubber piping. I'll try it.

Incidentally, what is the best route for the cable?

Al
Old 06 September 2001, 05:30 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't know <I>best</I> route for cabling. I did mine through the centre tunnel of the car. Fine until you reach the polystyrene block at the base of the rear seats

Other people take it down the passenger side trim.

Either should do
Old 06 September 2001, 06:30 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Alpro

I had the same problem with my Sony 10 disc it just wouldn't fit anywhere where anyone suggested.

1. Under the rear parcel shelf. It just got in the way of anything large that I put in the boot
2. Under the front seats. To fat to fit there.
3. In the spare wheel. Again to fat and the cables were impossible to fit into the connectors once it was squeezed in.

I fitted mine in the boot fixed to the back of the rear seats. Hasn't jumped, skipped or farted once even with lowered suspension. I fixed it into the metal parts of the seat.

Cables. I ran mine down the passenger side of the car took approx 15 mins. All cables are hidden and run along an existing cable duct. You will have to remove the sitting parts of the rear seats (two bolts in front of the rear seats and then unhook the rear of the seat) so you can thread the cable into the boot.

Hope this helps.

Any problems e-mail me

Cheers

Neal

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 06 September 2001).]
Old 06 September 2001, 07:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Hanslow, I'll have look for the rubber tubing.

Al,

Here are some pics I took when I fitted my changer. Ran them down the centre console, then underneath the rear seat. There's a plastic cover where all the std cables are run, so you won't snag the cable.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

[This message has been edited by ozzy (edited 06 September 2001).]

Old 07 September 2001, 09:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Not much good if it doesn't fit, but I have my Kenwood KDC-803 fitted nice and snugly under the passenger seat. Everything still moves to the full travel too.

Are the newer models slightly higher?
Old 07 September 2001, 05:53 PM
AlPro
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ozzy.

Wow, those pics practically do the whole job for me ;&gt; , now all I gotta do is convince my wife that there is no hassle putting the changer in the Scoob and I should do it this weekend

Cheers

Al
Old 09 September 2001, 04:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No worries Al, it's as easy as it looks.

I did have some hassle getting the cable underneath the rear carpet, but then I noticed the 3 little clips holiding it in-place :-) After removing them it was plane-sailing.

Stefan
Old 11 September 2001, 02:51 PM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

I just replaced my standard Phillips head unit for a Sony one and a CD-changer this weekend.

Put the changer in the boot attaching it by the drivers side rear lights using sticky velcro with a bit of extra padding underneath. No jumping so far and the changer is obviously easily accessible and moveable via the magic of velcro!

Channeled the wiring through the centre console and under the rear seat - pretty easy really!

One tip: cover the dash with some insulation tape or something as I managed to scuff my metal trim a wee bit - doh!